TripAdvisor
Marathon
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews tiki hut pet walking area full hookups laundry facilities gulf side overseas highway wonderful stay gulf of mexico water view other guests key west beach area gravel waterfront dock boat keys
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2018

Spent 4 nights here just after Christmas 2017. Easy to find, check in was fast and all the roads in the park are wide and well maintained gravel. Our spot was right on the little marina and we had a fantastic view.

The attention to detail is really something. They installed water jets at the entrance of the tiny marina in order to keep sea weed and other floating objects from coming in. Between the sites and the marina is a sandy area that was groomed with a rake (Like you would see at a fancy resort). The pool is small but the water is crystal clear.

The place seems to be designed more for Class A's than travel trailers because all the utilities were on the "wrong' side. Not complaining (it is what it is) and I had
the needed extensions for power and sewer. They offered me these things if I needed them but I wouldn't count on them always being available.

I really have only one complaint. This place is crazy expensive. It makes Fort Wilderness look cheap in comparison. But it was Christmas in the Florida Keys and we were down there visiting family so I didn't really mind that much. But when someone from my family stopped by for a visit they were immediately pounced on by the staff and asked in a less than hospitable way to get a pass from the office. Not unreasonable to require everyone to register (security and whatnot), I guess but this person could have been a little nicer about it. This happened twice and we explained that the visit was only going to be for 10 minutes tops but she insisted. Ok, fine. In the office my guests were told that the official policy is that all visitors have to pay $10 (Or something like that) for a pass but they would waive it if they were only going to be there for less than 30 minutes. I wasn't in the office to hear this and I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't have two family members tell me the same thing on two different occasions. Overnight? Sure, charge a fee but for a brief stay given the amount I was spending was completely over the top. I had a great experience at this RV park and to this day I'm still kind of dumbfounded that they could be so "penny-wise but pound-foolish" about this. After all the incident left a big enough impression on me that I'm here telling all of TripAdvisor.com about it. Not that I think anyone shouldn't stay here if they're coming to the Keys and they can justify the rent. I just found the situation so crazy that I had to share. Just a completely unnecessary unforced error.

The Dolphin center is next door, within walking distance. There really isn't much else on the Key but Marathon is just a few miles away and there are a lot of restaurants and stuff there. There isn't a tree to be found in the park so keep that in mind if you plan on visiting during the summer. My kids really enjoyed the pool and the water really was perfect. Not much else there for kids to do. Most people hung out inside their rigs all day which I have discovered is a common thing in parks with a high % of class A RVs. I guess my point is if you're looking for a more social campground, this isn't the place for you.

Trip type: Traveled with family
GKRVP, General Manager at Grassy Key RV Park & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2018

Thank you for staying with us and for the great review! We work very hard to keep our property looking new and up to the high standards that we have set for ourselves!

It sounds like you were in one of our beautiful Waterfront sites. The Waterfront sites were originally designed as pull in sites, but we always welcome all types of RV's in all site types. In order to accommodate 5th wheels and travel trailers we have installed an additional sewer connection (on the correct side when backed in); water, electric and cable are run across to the appropriate pedestal. We keep plenty of electric (30 & 50 amp) cords on hand to lend our guests and have never had a problem. Water hoses and tv cables are available to purchase.

For our guests that are planning to have visitors and/or bring a second car/truck, our policy is: Any car or truck, that enters our property, must have a vehicle pass. It is the responsibility of our guest to secure the pass for their visitor; thus avoiding any need for us to question why a vehicle does not have a proper pass. Additional vehicle passes are $10/day per extra vehicle.

Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

We booked a 5 day stay for May 2018. Three days later we realized that they don't have a bath house and my wife and I are in our late 60s and can't shower in our motorhome, so I canceled our reservation. They charged us $75.00 to cancel with four months left before the reservation. Very disappointing.

Date of stay: January 2018
GKRVP, General Manager at Grassy Key RV Park & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2018

Mr. James your review is little confusing. You booked a 1 week stay (for May) on 12/27/17 and called back 7 days later to cancel; explaining (according to our notes) that you knew we did not have bathhouses and that you and your wife had decided you did not want to use your facilities. At the time of booking, the cancellation policy was fully explained. When you cancelled, you seemed to understand that you would receive a refund less the normal $75 cancellation fee. Since we are charged a processing fee for all transactions (including any subsequent refund transactions), a fee is charged on all cancellations. It does not seem right that anyone would expect a business to incur the credit card processing charges when a guest decides to cancel. We are sorry that you were disappointed in stated cancellation policy.

Reviewed January 2, 2018

Weathered the hurricane quite well. Small and very tight sites at typical "The Keys" very high rates but pleasant for spending evenings there while visiting sites throughout the keys. Friendly staff, clean gravel only sites that are pretty level, full hook-ups with cable. Facility is OK with nice small pool, little near the water beach, dock that can be used for small boats, kayaks. Sea grass odor moderate here. Using the word "Resort" is a bit of a stretch but nice campground would be appropriate. The front row of sites have ocean views, some can peek through for small views, most are facing different direction. Need to make sure you have bug spray along or you will be eaten by sand fleas, no-see-ums, chiggers, mosquitos, or whatever those little biting insects are in the sand and gravel.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us and for the great review! We hope that will join us again when visiting the Florida Keys!

Reviewed December 28, 2017

Very small, well maintained RV resort centrally located just outside Marathon between Islamorada and Key West. Absolutely enjoyed our stay and the friendly staff, this is the only place I would ever stay again in the Keys.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
GKRVP, General Manager at Grassy Key RV Park & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review!! We look forward to seeing you again!!

Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

Front office attendant with one arm very offensive to minorities. I am not one, but watched how he treated one that came to pick up my son.

Very small RV lot, all gravel, no bathhouse for a high price. Pay in full at time of reservation.

One and done.