All reviews sombrero reef fish center console snorkeling trip key west great boat boat rentals coffee maker beach towels large fridge spirit snorkeling mile bridge gas grill full kitchen office staff turtle hospital small pool
Reviewed May 21, 2016

I just read my past reviews and realized I hadn't written about the "new" Captain Pip's. Revitalized without losing its "old Keys feeling." Updated showers, kitchens, furniture, and landscaping. The new pool is a very welcome addition. Still has the friendliest, nicest staff anywhere. Fishing boats are well maintained by knowledgeable, friendly crew. If you are looking for a clean, not cookie cutter, place to stay, Pip's is the place you want to be. This is NOT a hotel with daily maid service. Been coming for years and hope to keep coming for years.

Room tip: Garden rooms have limited water views. Upper rooms are reached by outside staircases.
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
CaptainPips, General Manager at Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this great review! We are happy that you enjoy your stays with us & hope that you will keep coming back for many more years to come also!

Reviewed May 20, 2016

On our second to last day here in Marathon, we had reserved a boat for the day to go snorkeling and sightseeing. Unfortunately, when we woke up it was violently storming for the day, so we decided to make alternate plans with a snorkeling trip for the following day...weather permitting. I called Captain Pips spoke with Scott then ultimately booked a snorkeling trip for 4 people, he took my credit card and charged me half ...I assumed to hold the reservation. The next day we got up to get ready to go to the dock and I happened to look at the email from Scott saying we had a reservation for only 2 people! I immediately called and let employee Marissa know that Scott had made an error and that there were 4 people in my party! She informed me the boat was full and she would try to see if someone would go on a later excursion and call me back, 20 mins went by and I heard nothing so I called back and she informed me that she couldn't find anyone to take a later cruise and basically we were out of luck! I doubt she even tried and they really didn't seem to care that this trip was my daughters college graduation present and we really were looking forward to it. I went ahead and told my daughter and her boyfriend to go without us because I know she was so excited about going. I understand people make mistakes, but Captain Pip didn't care a bit! They didn't offer us anything, not even an apology. I would never do business with this place again. Ruined our final day here.

4  Thank Tammy B

We are VERY sorry that there was an error with your snorkel booking, and that no-one noticed it until the day of the trip. Our staff member Marissa did offer to switch your group to the sunset celebration trip at no extra charge (usually more expensive) and she also called ALL the passengers for the trip that you were scheduled to take to try to get someone else to switch their trip. She was also very apologetic to you because of this mix up. We do apologize sincerely once again for this error.

Reviewed May 20, 2016

Had a great time snorkeling at Sombrero Reef as well as parasailing near the 7-mile bridge. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They made me feel secure and totally comfortable participating in both snorkeling and parasailing. 10/10 WOULD DO AGAIN.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this great review! We are happy that you had fun snorkeling & parasailing with us & we hope that you will comeback again at some time in the future for more trips with us.

Reviewed May 15, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I went snorkeling with the crew of captain pipp and we had a great time while on the trip. We went out to sombrero lighthouse reef. The fish and the views we saw were simply amazing to say the least. I highly recommend this trip to anyone in the area or on your next visit to the keys.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
CaptainPips, General Manager at Captain Pip's Marina & Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this 5 star review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your snorkel trip on Spirit & we hope that you will choose us again at some time.

Reviewed May 13, 2016 via mobile

We actually went twice in one week because the first time we went, the seas were too rough, so we went to the gulf side. The first time at Pirate's Cove was still amazing -- sting rays, dozens of kinds of fish, shells, crabs, and calmer seas. The second time the waves had calmed down and we went to Sombrero Lighthouse and were completely blown away!! So colorful, thousands of schools of fish in every color, sting rays, sharks, and a massive sea turtle. Captain Lisa and first mate Walter were the kindest people and were truly concerned for everyone's safety and happiness. Couldn't have asked for a better experience -- especially for the price!

Trip type: Traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this great 5 star review. We are happy that you had a great time onboard Spirit & look forward to seeing you all again at some time.