“Went shopping with little idea of what I wanted”

Tilden's Scuba Center
Ranked #11 of 79 Tours in Marathon
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

So with grouper season approaching I decided that needed some free diving gear and John Mirabella had told me to go to Tilden's so I decided to go. Michelle was prompt in greeting me and asking me what I was shopping for today and we proceeded to try on some masks. She was helpful in giving me her opinion and previous customers reviews on the masks. After much debate and Michelle's advice I went with the Eagle eye uv blockers and as for the snorkel she showed me what the owner uses so I went with one of them. Overall it was awesome. Didn't feel like she was breathing down my neck or pressured into buying the most expensive stuff. I will be a future customer! Thanks Yall!
-Tony G

1  Thank Tony G

Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I walked in to the store to look at a waterproof camera. When we called that morning Michelle was perfectly sweet and helpful on the phone, knowledgeable about the store inventory and invited us in to look around for ourselves.

After a few minutes of browsing the store (and a quick run to the bank) it was clear we were getting a great deal on our new GoPro 3+ Black Edition and the micro SD card. The store should be commended for the way it encourages honesty between the associates and the customers, I know that we (being locals) totally appreciated getting the real truth. It was fun too, standing around for a few minutes and swapping local stories about the Cassiopeia jellies and such.

Overall it's a great place, Michelle was a total sweetheart and we'll be back soon for our spear-guns!!

1  Thank Shannon R
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Made a big mistake and tried another operation in Marathon before going to Tilden's (which had been recommended by a friend, to whom I should have listened). My friend was absolutely correct. Tilden's ran one of, if not the most organized dive boat I have ever been on. Captain Bill was thorough and informative and very friendly and helpful. The entire boat/dive crew was great. Extremely good diving on the Thunderbolt with detailed direction on how to best dive and enjoy the wreck. Was in the shop several times and talked to the owner and staff who were very helpful with local information and very enthusiastic about diving. You could tell that they love the sport and wanted you to enjoy diving with them. Don't waste your time trying anyone else in Marathon.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My 14-year old daughter and I just returned from a fantastic vacation in the Keys, all thanks to our respective experiences with Tilden's SCUBA Center. I needed a refresher, after a few years out of the water, and she needed to complete her open water dives in order to receive her SSI certification. Every aspect of our interactions with Tilden's was top notch. Her instructor, Brent, was friendly, focused, thorough, and effective. As a parent and as a diver, I could not imagine a better experience for her or a more positive outcome. We are already planning a summer vacation in the Keys and Tilden's will be my first call.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I booked a trip to go visit my boyfriend's folks in Marathon Key and hadn't been diving in a while. I read up on diving in the keys and picked Tilden's and am glad I did! My divemaster got me back up to speed on the first two dives. He was so helpful and pointed out lots of cool stuff.

I was disappointed my first day because I wanted to dive during the morning, but the boat wasn't full, so I went in the afternoon. I was little upset (hence 4 stars and not 3), I must admit, that the solution I was given was either dive the afternoon or pay the difference to make the boat "full" enough to go out. Because I was visiting family, I specifically did not want to mess up our days together by going out independently in the afternoon (the family paid for my airfare down there!) I found it odd that there were not many people going diving on a Saturday morning and also odd that the dive shops don't communicate with one another to help tourists and to give tourists an overall good impression of the area as a dive destination.

However, they were able to accommodate my morning dive wishes the next two days. They were also AWESOME about letting me store my gear there to dry even after I decided I wouldn't be able to dive any more with them. Greatly appreciated this. Also appreciated the free shuttle service.

I went out Saturday, Sunday and Monday. My boyfriend came out to snorkel on Monday. The boat crew briefed us and let us do our own thing. I thought the prices were reasonable. Because I dove the same spot 3 days in a row, they let me know they were doing a wreck dive on Thursday morning and that I could bring my boyfriend to snorkel for free. Very very nice of them, but by then, I'd gone over budget and wasn't feeling well either, so I had to decline. Now I have a reason to return!

The outdoor showers at the facilities have hot running water and also soap, shampoo and conditioner. This is quite a luxurious feature! Boat crew had great personalities and made it an enjoyable experience and were extremely helpful with my gear.