“Could have been a nightmare.”

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
Ranked #12 of 80 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the water. We have won the TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence three years in a row now and we are here to show you the best time here in the Florida Keys. Charters for fishing, diving, snorkeling, dive instruction and certification; bait and tackle; scuba equipment and air tanks; boat rentals; snacks and beverages—we have all the supplies you’ll need to enjoy an area celebrated for world-class fishing, diving and all water sports. We now offer paddleboard and kayak rentals and tours, and kiteboarding too! Check with our staff to see when the next sunset cruise will be departing...they are great fun.
New Castle, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Could have been a nightmare.”
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Let me start by saying this boat rental started out like a nightmare.
After calling the friendly staff at Captain Hook's my wife and I booked a 19' Cobia for a day.
We arrived at the marina were expertly instructed on places to go by their friendly staff.
We pulled out of the dock and headed out to do some snorkeling. Right past marker 1 we proceeded to plane out the boat and after a second it conked out. I tried a few more times to come up on plane to no avail. Luckily the engine remained running and we were able to limp back to shore at idle speed. I told the staff and one of the mechanics/managers about the symptoms and he changed out the fuel filter and said, “Boats been serviced just a few days ago. With the filter change you’re all set, head out." I insisted he come along to see what I described to him as either water in the gas or some fuel delivery problem for a quick test ride.
After some grumbling he agreed and we took a quick ride. Well.... the boat's engine after a minute this time died and wouldn't start back up. We lost power and drifted with a pretty swift current into a bridge. The mechanic braced for a 4 MPH impact and I assisted what little I could.
Luckily this happened about 50 yards from their dock space and a Coast guard boat was right there watching the whole thing. They asked if they could throw lines out but the mechanic didn't want their help, threw in an anchor and called a staff member in a 23' Cobia to tow us back to the marina.
The nice thing is they upgraded us to the 23 footer at no extra charge and said we could come back 1 hour later at 5PM not 4PM their return time for all full day rentals.
The boat had a 200 HP Yamaha outboard but the GPS was old school and essentially unusable. The main thing is the engine was reliable and there were no surprises.
I had to navigate by chart and compass heading as I was unfamiliar with the waters in the keys.
We set off our adventure to Coffins patch as we were told it was 2 1/2 miles from marker 1 at 180 degrees in Marathon.
Never saw it.
Rather than wasting any more time we did the touristy thing and went to Sombrero reef where we had an excellent time, relaxing, eating and doing some great snorkeling in some pristine waters.
Visibility was excellent, tons of fish, albeit the spot was a little crowded.
In the end it turned out awesome and the highlight of our stay in the keys.
When we got back to the marina we used about 24 gallons of gas.
So for about 300 bucks that included snorkeling gear and boat, I don't think you could get better than that.
We would give Captains hooks 5 stars if it wasn't for the potential show stopper in the beginning.
We would recommend this place.

3 Thank Solar777

Michigan
“Very Enjoyable Captain Hooks Experience!”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

It was my first time in the Florida Keys and my friend and I wanted to go on a snorkeling trip. We heard word of Capt. Hooks and decided to check it out. Upon arrival we were accomodated very quickly. All the employees we came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. Our snorkeling trip was a blast! The crew helped fit our equiptment and made us feel very comfortable considering it was our first time in the ocean. We got to see two different coral reefs each having a great amount of beautiful aquatic life to look at. I strongly recommend Capt. Hooks as a place to check out and see. Not only does it have dive/snorkel trips, but while we were there we realized they were also a bait and tackle shop, and offered boat rentals and fishing charters. To add to our experience, when our snorkel trip was finished we witnessed a fishing charter captain cleaning all the large fish he had caught for the day as well as a fish feeding in Capt. Hooks outside salt water pond (sharks included!) Overall, it was a wonderful experience and a very neat/fun place to be with great customer service!

Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stay away!”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Recently returned from a trip to the keys ,dove 4 dives, 2 different days, 2 different locations. Dove in Key Largo first, good thing!! This whole experience(Capt. Hooks) was horrible! The seas were 3-5 (of course they said 2 ft) and the vis was like diving in a sandstorm! The "captain" brought his "girlfriend" along and didn't stay on the boat . He snorkled instead! The "divemaster" had to surface 4 times to find the boat! Will not return to Marathon again to dive. Will stay up in Key Largo and continue to have great dives! No offer of a refund or anything, just a shrug when asked about the dives.Thanks a lot for nothing Captain Hooks!

1 Thank bcorzz
Maine
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great Advice”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We got great advice on fishing bait, locations and charters, along with our fishing licenses at Captain Hooks. If you arrive at 4 pm you can watch them feed the fish--fun free entertainment.

1 Thank mmbay
Skitown USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rock Stars!!”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

DM Timmy & Capt Brett did everything but breathe for us! Was "Dirty 30" re: visability, but they took us to reefs where you could see a lot of micro if you took it slow & casual. Will be taking my kids back for their certification in a couple years. If you're cool, ask Capt Brett about his "special places"...

1 Thank jrinstmbt