“Two of my best dives”

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the ocean. We have achieved the TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence three years in a row now. Our services include diving & snorkeling trips, Thunderbolt wreck and night dives, spearfishing & lobstering, dive instruction & certification, fishing charters, kayak & paddleboard tours, even SUP Yoga. Our store compliments and full supports those services with a full-service bait & tackle shop and a full-service dive shop. We have extended our business with the addition of Strike Zone Charters in Big Pine Key, now called Capt. Hook's Looe Key Reef Adventures & Strike Zone Charters. This has added multiple dive sites, another wreck called the Adolphus Busch Sr., and another beautiful sanctuary and premier dive and snorkel site...Looe Key Reef.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Two great reef dives. Two of my most relaxing dives ever. It was great to get some dives in while my family snorkeled. Catherine the dive master was a fantastic host to the reef and protector. During the dives she was collecting fish hooks with line attached and I helped her get a garbage bag off some of the precious reef. I like the idea of having a dive master that knows the reef and can point out the different types of fish. I did not have to think about where the boat was. She was even kind enough to lend my son her personal wetsuit when she learned that he was cold while snorkeling. The dive master as well as the crew and the people in the shop were friendly, polite and knowledgeable. The shop is well equipped. This dive outfit deserves 5 stars.

CaptHookOwner, Owner at Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for the great review and for the help keeping our reefs clean and debris free. We consider it our responsibility to keep our reef clean…it is our livelyhood. We have had crews that have removed huge illegal nets off the reef, cafefully having to work the nets off the coral to avoid damage to the reef. The ocean has plenty to offer everyone, if everyone is responsible in its use and care. Thank you as well, for acknowledging our divemaster, she is super and has grown into a dive career here at Captain Hook's. Having a divemaster can offer a diver a more relaxing dive knowing someone is in the water with them with the experience and knowledge of the reefs. Please come back to see us soon.

All reviews
"the jolly roger"
"coffins patch"
in 21 reviews
"the reefs"
in 38 reviews
"the holiday inn express"
in 10 reviews
in 9 reviews
"great boat"
"the florida keys"

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Captain Hook's has everything you need for an experience that you will never forget. The whole staff is very friendly and easy to get along with. You feel like a part of their family instantly. Our family got scuba diving certified and couldn't have had more fun. Our instructors, Denise and Dave, are the best around. They attended to our every need and made sure that we felt comfortable throughout the week. We had loads of fun and will be retuning this summer for more dives! Give this place a visit for unforgettable memories.

1  Thank Preston K

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is always nice to get a review like this. We are looking forward to your return and for more diving with you. The summer offers a unique opportunity to dive sometimes without a wetsuit in a little warmer water and we find the divers really love that. You may want to try a night dive as well. Our summers offer more days in a row of calmer seas so it is a great time to plan for multiple dives. Thank you for the kind words.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Recently got SCUBA certified at Capt. Hooks along with family of 5. Dive instructors Dave and Denise were extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. We had some divers that were a little apprehensive on our first check-out dive. Denise and Dave were able to give them the attention they needed without neglecting the other divers. By the end of our certification, we were all thrilled about diving (even though the wind caused vis. to be down during our check out dives). Great people and great diving. Definitely worth a visit. Proud to be one of Denise's "dive muffins."

It is always nice to read a review like this. Denise and Dave have been doing this right for sometime now and they always give their best for the divers at Captain Hook's. They take great pride in bringing the ocean to new divers and they're fun people, so it is nice to hear a review that mentions them. I hope to see you back here at Captain Hook's to continue your dive instruction/education and skills or to just have fun on our ocean down here in the Keys. We have lots for you to do and you should try it all. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Excellent value for money.
Nice, very friendly staff and the Jetski tour is just awesome!
Had a great 2hrs and can absolutely recommend.
Watch out: you have to be 25 to ride!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our waverunner tour. We are glad you liked it. We are working with our insurance company to bring that age down, so please check with us again when you come down to take the tour and explore the Marathon waters again.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I am a PADI instructor and I have been diving Key Largo and Key West for nearly twenty years and have used at least a dozen different operators. This was my first time diving in Marathon. My wife, a very experienced advanced diver and I went on a reef trip in March and had a terrible experience. The operation brags that they always have a dive master in the water and you can feel free to follow them. Not having been on any of these reefs before I made the mistake of deciding to follow the dive master so we could get the most out of the dive. She started out the dive swimming with the current, which I figured she must know and have intentionally done. About 20 minutes into the dive another diver stopped her to indicate he was running low on air. I noticed his tank had come loose from the BCD and was only secured by the low pressure hose. She had not seen this and was little help when I corrected the problem for the diver. She then took off swimming into the current at break-neck speed. My wife and the other diver were falling far behind, so I swam halfway between her and them since I had followed her and was hoping she knew where she was going. Eventually the other diver lagged back and out of sight. The dive master surfaced to look for the boat (I assume) twice and after weaving around finally got us back there. Thankfully the other diver, although far behind, made it back to the boat on his own and apparently beat us back there by several minutes. My wife was exhausted and I was aggravated but did not say anything. The dive master came over and started explaining that she was swimming fast on the return because the other diver was low on air. I did not say the obvious, which was, that if he were low on air, what good was it that she lost him and left him alone.

On the boat, the Captain, one of the owners, also instructing and leading another group and our "dive master" where all giving instructions during the briefing, sometimes talking to a group at the same time. It was, without a doubt, the most disorganized dive boat I have ever been on. We did not do the second dive, the first time ever I have sat out a dive.

I love this sport and something like this is extremely disturbing to me because all it takes is a bad experience like this to ruin it forever for someone new to diving. Please avoid Captain Hook's.

4  Thank wtc108
CaptHookOwner, Owner at Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

It is disappointing that you feel your dive trip with us was an unpleasant experience. We dive with PADI Professionals all the time. There is usually a kinship among dive professionals because we usually all have the same goal. Show a diver a world that is generally unaccessible in everyday life and open it up for them to see the wonders under the surface. We even work with what would be considered our competition regarding sea conditions and visibility to provide the best dive experience possible for those that dive Marathon. We have taken suggestions from other dive professionals and they have helped make our operation better and better.

In another review by you, you take the time to say the following about another contributor/reviewer to Tripadvisor. These are your words.

“One contributor on this site complained about not having a guide in the water. I find it hard to believe they have really been diving down here and if they have, would like to know who they had an unpaid guide with. That is not the norm here and never has been. If you cant find your way back up the line from a wreck or can't locate the boat by navigation or a boat check on 20 to 30 foot reefs, you need to come to St. Louis and see me for a scuba refresher course. Unless you hire someone to babysit for you, you need to remember that when you are diving there is only one person responsible for you and to find them all you need to do is look in the mirror. So, stop complaining and enjoy life.”

Well, we do provide that “unpaid guide” because there have been a number of circumstances in which having that person in the water has helped us assist a diver...you even mentioned one in your review and thank you for your help. Unfortunately, there may be irregular events on a trip that can affect the service to some divers because some circumstances require our special attention for others. It is our main intention to provide excellent safety procedures and service. Our staff is well trained and many, many former comments on Trip Advisor reflect their professionalism. We have taken your comments under advisement and discussed with our staff the dynamics of this dive. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.