“Option for mixed dive/snorkel - crowded boat/novice divers”

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 79 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the water. We have won the TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence three years in a row now and we are here to show you the best time here in the Florida Keys. Charters for fishing, diving, snorkeling, dive instruction and certification; bait and tackle; scuba equipment and air tanks; boat rentals; snacks and beverages—we have all the supplies you’ll need to enjoy an area celebrated for world-class fishing, diving and all water sports. We now offer paddleboard and kayak rentals and tours, and kiteboarding too! Check with our staff to see when the next sunset cruise will be departing...they are great fun.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I scuba dive, but my 13 and 15 year old daughters don't. I wanted to expose them to my diving sport which I've done for 17 years. Captain Hook's provided a good opportunity for us to do this. I went diving with approximately 8 divers and they were in a group of easily 30 snorkelers.

In my opinion, the boat had too little staff for the number of people on the boat. We had one dive master which was good, however, there was only one person for all the snorkelers.

The group I went diving with was mixed skill level. Half of the group looked like they just completed a resort course. The dive master was good, however, he had his hands full. One woman went in with no weights. Another who I called the "coral crusher" couldn't control her buoyancy and literally was walking all over the coral. The dive master tried to adjust her BCD, but she kept doing it. On our first dive, there was another guy who couldn't get down and thus we waited on the bottom for 15 minutes while the dive master helped him. I guess I chalked it up to being with my kids, but if I was going only for a dive, I would have been very disappointed.

Our second dive, however, we lost most of the beginners and it was very good (except for the coral crusher). We saw turtles, nurse shark, blow fish, crabs. The reef was in really great shape too making the coral crusher even more of a surprise.

Overall, I would say it was one of the few options I have ever found to do both diving and snorkel, however, if I were to do only scuba, I would take another boat with Captain Hooks.

1  Thank JoshBillings

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Dec 9, 2013- This review is about Captain Mike, one of the tour/ dive boat captains. We 1st met Captain Mike last year at Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort in Key Largo, FL.. He told us then of amazing facts, provided close, up front, personal views, and accommodated guests with disabilities. I remember thinking that he was an exceptional asset and captain. You can only imagine my excitement this year when we, the Florida Keys Reef Lighthouse Foundation, chartered a tour from Tarpon Creek Marina behind the Holiday Inn in Marathon, FL. and he was again our captain. The kindness, patient, thorough, knowledgeable, safe boat captain that he is, made this 2nd tour a full delight. When the winds shifted, so did he.. When there was a more perfect view, he sought it.. When there were hundreds of questions being tossed at him, he explained each one so that everyone understood.. Captain Mike definitely KNOWS what he is doing and does it wonderfully. If you get a chance, ASK FOR HIM.... YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED..!

1  Thank Patty J
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I wanted to work in my check out dives during a trip to the Keys and stumbled on Captain Hook's Dive shop. I was concerned that I wouldn't get there in time to make the first day's boat trip however Captain Hook's was very accommodating, saying not to worry, we'll make sure you get the dives in if you miss the scheduled boat trip. Once we got there I met Denise, my PADI dive instructor, and she walked me through all of the things that we would do once in the water. One thing about Denise that made all the difference- she really loves what she does and she loves teaching!! The other great thing was that she was a great role model: a high-energy, confident woman showing me that I could do it! And she pointed out things in the water I never would have noticed, introducing me to all the neat things you can see on a reef. It was a wonderful first encounter to scuba diving and I'm so thankful to have had Denise to guide me. I highly recommend her to anyone first starting and learning to get comfortable diving. Thanks Denise and crew!!!

1  Thank Millipede2013
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went diving with this op because they were visiting the Thunderbolt the weekend we were in duck key and none of the other ops were. We had a great time. Our guide made sure we were all set and gave us a nice briefing of the wreck and then made sure we were ok the entire time in the water. He guided us through the superstructure (all rated as swimthroughs) which I'm not sure we would have done by ourselves not having been familiar with the wreck.

The boat was comfortable and the crew was very nice. The price can't be beat since it includes air tanks and a guide. They left it up to the divers to choose whether to do a double dip or move to a shallower reef on the second dive. We moved to a shallower reef to increase our bottom time and because viz on the thunderbolt had started to deteriorate.

We brought our own nitrox tanks for the deep dive and then used their air tanks for the shallower dive. The guide was on air for the thunderbolt dive, but he had no problem letting us swim around for a few extra minutes while he waited on the anchor line.

Overall a very professional dive op and would dive with them again.

1  Thank MikeA305
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Today was a fantastic day with Denise and the Captain Hook's Crew! We scheduled a day before and upon realizing we grabbed the wrong dive bag without our cards and log books, the staff had no problems looking up our information and printing out both our information when my husband wasn't going to get to dive with them since we were heading to Key West the following day.

I went out, without my husband (someone had to stay with the kids) and was a little apprehensive since we always dive together. Denise and the crew were fantastic! They are safety oriented but through and through show their love for the ability to be on the water for their job. A 3 person crew for 4 divers and 3 snorkelers. No skimping because of a small group. I was solo so Denise was my dive buddy at no additional charge btw! She was full of information above the water and under. Showing my things I may have overlooked was such an added bonus! She is lively and a gift to their business. The crew worked seamlessly together and made the trip a real joy. Will definitely sing their praises to all who inquire!

1  Thank RoughandReadyTravler