“Safest dive operator I have ever used”

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
Ranked #11 of 80 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the water. We have won the TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence three years in a row now and we are here to show you the best time here in the Florida Keys. Charters for fishing, diving, snorkeling, dive instruction and certification; bait and tackle; scuba equipment and air tanks; boat rentals; snacks and beverages—we have all the supplies you’ll need to enjoy an area celebrated for world-class fishing, diving and all water sports. We now offer paddleboard and kayak rentals and tours, and kiteboarding too! Check with our staff to see when the next sunset cruise will be departing...they are great fun.
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

This is based on 10 trips with Captain Hooks in the past year. They do a few things that are easy to do but ensure safety. They get your air reading before you enter the water and when you get out on every dive. This is a SMART thing to do. This gives them a way to ensure they don't miss a diver PLUS if someone is having problems with air they have a better opportunity to monitor it. Also they put a dive master in the water on every dive to act as a guide. This is a huge big deal for solo divers who at other operators must pay for a guide.

On a recent trip we had planned to spearfish and booked a trip. Visibility was very poor from a storm the previous day and they canceled the main trip. When they learned that we were leaving the next day, the guide, Andy, offered to take us on a solo trip out to try to find fish. He worked hard to make sure we had every opportunity to get some fish. My son was thrilled to spear his very first fish and is hooked on spearfishing.

We will be back!! We loved Andy. He was great! Also enjoyed captains Doug and Greg. Eric was a great dive master as was John. Denise is very high energy and obviously loves what she does.

2  Thank Laura B

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We went to Captain Hook's and rented a boat when we were in Marathon, Florida. Our initial contact with renting the boat is a very nice young lady. I wish I had gotten her name as she was one of the friendliest people we met while on vacation. I want to write this review recommending her personally as such a great employee and face for this company. She was a pleasure to deal with and was very knowledgeable about her job and answered any questions we had and was a super person! (she had lived in Canada before if that helps identify her!). We loved the store, rented a great boat (which had everything we needed for our fishing trip), bought some clothing and enjoyed ourselves at this establishment. I would highly suggest coming to this store when you are in Marathon. We will certainly be returning!

1  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We dove last week with them. Both AM and PM dive trips were perfectly adequate (i.e. safe, efficient travel, etc) but we're not 100% convinced that they're "the" place to dive with @ Marathon. PM dives ended up mixed with snorkelers and a brand (to them) DM. DM wanted to explore solo which wasn't a real problem for us. The sites were really geared to a cross section of diving and snorkeling and, frankly, weren't the best for diving. Also, took a much smaller boat in PM because of less people and gear but snorkelers seemed to take up lots of space compared to divers with no mention from staff to tighten up their space consumption. We would not avoid this outfit in the future but we would opt out of any combo boats.

1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Although it seems the main purpose of the company is to provide diving trips (taking snorkelers with them to fill the boat) we did not feel unwelcome. Indeed the staff is really nice and helpful.
The locations we went to (one of them was the horseshoe reef, if I remember correctly) are suitable for snorkelers and divers. Of course divers can go down and see more. The divers go in groups with a staff guide, whereas snorkelers are left to themselves. Which I did not mind.
The price was the best we could find for snorkeling trips and it was close to our stay. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My daughter and I booked a 3 day 2/tank diving trip, went to several different reefs and had a great experience. The captain and crew were delightful, professional, helpful, especially to people like me who don't dive often - they looked after me! The boat was neat and clean. Some trips were full, but not too jam-packed, there were always enough seats for everyone. DM Eric and (Nick? - camo wetsuit) were awesome, fun, helpful, encouraging and reassuring. My daughter would like to obtain her 3rd SCUBA certification this summer, Peak Buoyancy, and will definitely consider going back to Marathon and Captain Hook's if they offer this cert.