“Saved out trip!”

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
Ranked #12 of 80 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the water. Charters for fishing, diving, snorkeling, dive instruction and certification; bait and tackle; scuba equipment and air tanks; boat rentals; snacks and beverages—we have all the supplies you’ll need to enjoy an area celebrated for world-class fishing, diving and all water sports. We now offer paddleboard and kayak rentals and tours, and kiteboarding too! Check with our staff to see when the next sunset cruise will be departing...they are great fun.
Tucson, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Saved out trip!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I just got back from leading a dive trip to Marathon Key for my dive club, and we booked our dives through another operator. That shop really disapointed us, and wasn't going to let us dive the RV Thunderbolt simply because some of our divers didn't have advanced certifications. The thing to understand here though is that those divers have been diving since the 70's and each have literally thousands of dives under their belt. Well, Captain Hook's came through for us where the other shop let us down, and they really saved our trip! We got excellent service, were able to book on short notice, and they also provided a dive master (actually she was an instructor) in the water with us at no extra charge!

I really can't say strongly enough just how thrilled I was with the service we got at Captain Hook's. Awesome dives! Next time I lead a trip to Marathon I know exactly where I'll be booking the dives!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank ScubaSteve999
CaptHookOwner, Owner at Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review. We were glad we could accommodate your group. In fairness to the other dive shop, making this decision can be a very difficult thing to do. I remember when we first purchased Captain Hook's, we had a diver that had so many certifications that there was no way I thought he would be trouble. In an attempt to learn more about the dive business back then I personally with another instructor checked out his credentials directly with his cert agency. They confirmed everyone of his certifications. This was before computers became more popular...our T-Bolt dive was a strict 15 minute timed dive with a guide. On that day because we were all new to Captain Hook's, we sent out two instructors as guides for three divers. Sure enough, we sent the three divers down with the first instructor and when they reach the deck of the T-Bolt, this diver began to panic and shot to the surface. Fortunately, we were lucky because the second instructor made a delayed descent to the T-Bolt and was able to grab the divers belt and hold him long enough to slow the accent to the surface as he held onto buoy line. This and many other reasons became part of our decision to always provide a complementary divemaster on all of our dive trips. Having that instructor or divemaster in the water gives us a little more peace of mind. We are glad we were able to help. Sorry for the lengthy response. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for the business.

Melbourne, Florida
“Snorkeling in Marathon with Capt. Hook's”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I went snorkeling with Capt. Hook's this past Labor Day weekend (2012) and it was awesome! Hurricane Issac (Tropical storm when it passed the Keys) did mess up the visibility for the trip, but Capt. Bonnie brought us to a second reef that wasn't as deep as the first and we were actually able to see reefs and fish, I even saw an eel!! This was my first time snorkeling, and this experience made me want to go again! (Captain Bonnie also gave me great advice, which is to take motion sickness medicine 8-12 hours prior to the trip so that way it is in your system, haha!) They couldn't help the fact that Issac made the visibility poor, so I don't blame them for that, and the price was great for how long we were out there, so my overall experience was great!! I uploaded some pics from our trip but just keep in mind that I was taking the pictures from the surface.

Visited September 2012
We are saying a prayer we won't see many more nasty storms this year and we are getting close to the end of the season. It kinda makes you superstitious about talking about it, so I pick my word wisely. Unfortunately, it does muddy things for a bit. I am glad that Capt. Bonnie took care of you. We appreciate all of our customers and most are understanding when the weather doesn't always cooperate. We are fortunate we are in the Keys and we don't see many bad days.

I am proud to have a staff that tries and works even harder to make your trip enjoyable when the conditions are not quite right.. Thank you for the nice review and for the time you took to write it. Please come back to see us soon.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great staff, great price”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Dove with them this memorial day weekend. the staff was very helpful and friendly. The boat is nice for being a larger pontoon boat. we'll be back for their $199 3 trip (6 dives) dive package and their sunset dive. The holiday inn express is a very convent option for diving with them.

CaptHookOwner, Owner at Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for giving us a try and the kind words. We are glad you like our 45-foot Corinthian Catamaran. It is a great boat that handles the seas well and is a nice stable platform to dive from. Hopefully you can come back soon. You will love the sunset dive as you get to dive the same location twice during daylight first and then doing a night dive. You also get to witness our Florida Keys sunset, something we are known for down here. It is an amazing transformation between the daytime dive and the night dive that gives you an appreciation of how diverse and complex the underseas world is, even in the same spot. Thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you soon at Captain Hook's again, and you are right, the Holiday inn Express is close by and a great choice.
Fort Lau
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Snorkeling in Marathon”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We were disappointed with this snorkeling trip, but I believe that tropical storm Isaac may have had more to do with our experience. We saw nothing the first stop and several people were bitten and became ill from jelly fish bites. The second stop proved more interesting., but i have been to better reefs. I was also concerned that spear fishers were allowed to join the snorkeling. We were told that the spear fishers would be kept separate, but supervision was lacking although present. The groups did in fact mix in the water. So. I give this trip an average rather than poor giving Isaac most of the blame.

We are sorry you were disappointed in your snorkeling trip.  It is difficult especially after a major tropical storm to determine when the best time to start the operations again.  We try to make sure everything is back in order but we often get pressure from the snorkelers and divers that just want to get in the water and don't want to miss diving altogether on their vacation.  We have an educated guess as to the best time to return but are often surprised by the amount of visibility or the quality of the water after a storm. In talking with the crew on-board the visibility did play a role here. Our policy concerning spearfishing is that we will only allow spearfishing if a separate spearfishing guide is available for the trip and that the spearfishing guide steer the spearfishermen away from the rest of the group. In this case, the spear guide did just that, but for some reason, some of the non-spearing group followed the spear guide anyway. We think that the visibility was poor enough that some of the people were willing to follow anyone to see marine life. We will pay special attention to this in the future. We thank you for your review and hopefully you give us a second chance when the weather is better.
Villa Rica, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome snorkeling experience!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

If you want to have one of the best snorkeling experiences of your life do it with Captain Hooks. For only $25 bucks you will go out on a boat with a great captain and crew for 3 whole hours and see some amazing fish you almost fill like you aren't even in the U.S. anymore! Captains Bonnie and Mike are awesome and so friendly! I will def be back!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank TooChic85
CaptHookOwner, Owner at Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We are glad you had a good time. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell others about our snorkeling trips and crew. We want to show how nice the Marathon reefs are at a great price and maybe then get you will back to dive with us someday. If you think the snorkeling is fun and great, it takes it up a notch when you can scuba and not have to surface. Either way, please come back to see us...you may want to also try paddleboarding or kayaking with us on an ecotour. Loads of fun. Thank you again.