“A bit hurried and poor dive selections” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center

Captain Hook's Marina & Dive Center
Ranked #11 of 80 Tours in Marathon
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center has been the place to get everything you need for a day on the water. Charters for fishing, diving, snorkeling, dive instruction and certification; bait and tackle; scuba equipment and air tanks; boat rentals; snacks and beverages—we have all the supplies you’ll need to enjoy an area celebrated for world-class fishing, diving and all water sports. We now offer paddleboard and kayak rentals and tours, and kiteboarding too! Check with our staff to see when the next sunset cruise will be departing...they are great fun.
Utah
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 248 helpful votes
“A bit hurried and poor dive selections”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

A very nice dive boat and people but I was left feeling mass produced and dunked then dropped. This was the earliest I ever got back from a morning dive trip - I thought we were pulling back in at 12:45 but it was 11:45 and we didn't even start the day past the usual 8:30 ish hour. The 2 shallow reef dives were pretty similar with better marine life at the second but I noticed 45 minutes seemed a firm cut off to get us out of the water fast and right off a short distance to the next dive. I also felt the sites were picked as close as possible to the shop so we could get back and dumped early. I did notice while driving off the Keys next day - another company's dive boat docking about 11:45 - for an area with such a laid back reputation - dives seem to be a mass production on a tight schedule by some operations in the Keys. Earlier in the week I was doing 2 tank morning dives on a small boat at Key Largo and we would alternate with a reef and wreck, and I noticed some time limits but still was allowed some of my longest dives to date - over 55 minutes every dive. Maybe I would have had better luck with some more trips with the Captain, but despite a nice safe well run operation I was underwhelmed. You may have more knowledge and a better opinion if you have dived here and know what is available but to me it wasn't much - I was taken with 4 other divers and one guide(that's a good combination and limit) plus another instructor with a class of about 6. We went to Herman's Hole and Barabra's- I never logged deeper than 25 feet and the coral formations at both locations were the smallest/lowest I saw diving the Keys. I heard there are pole like coral structures elsewhere nearby that are unique and also Sombrero Reef - maybe the couple doing multi dives had been there and I got caught on a day to more boring/typical stuff. The day was almost flat calm so wether was no consideration of site choice. If you go I wish you more interesting dives and down time - those 2 items left me unimpressed with diving at Marathn and maybe Captain Hooks. I should try a few more before I can say for sure. The 4 dives I did at Key Largo had much more inrerest, variety and coral - that keeps me from giving a top rating here.

Visited May 2011

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional AND FUN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

What a great way to enter the world of diving. The energy and enthusiasm at Captain Hook's was contagious! We really enjoyed their ability to combine the serious aspect of learning to dive with FUN, which is needed doing something like this for the first time. We were very comfortable throughout the training and certification dives. Denise, Big Mike, Dave, and the rest of the staff and crew, THANK YOU all so much for this experience! We WILL be back! :)
- Julie, NC

Visited May 2011
1 Thank UNCJULIE
Cape Coral, Florida
“Outstanding Night Diving with the 3 D's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

The conditions were perfect, Divemaster's Dave & Denise, and boat Captain Doug were outstanding tour guides. I've been going to Marathon for 20+ years & dove with other dive shops and this group was the most accommodating that I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Dave & Denise were safety conscientious which I have found to get lost in recent times. Granted we were in shallow waters at our dive site, Samantha, but they kept eyes on the entire group. What really amped the excursion up 4 me was how they were exceptional at pointing out fish/lobster/shrimp/conch's during the dive. Boat Captain Doug help 'slepping' my tanks/bc around was much appreciated.

York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic diving instruction at great wreck and reef dive sites in Florida Keys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

I'm a disabled SCUBA diver and as such it's often difficult to find a company who have the right balance when it comes to the level of help I need. David and Denise at Captain Hook's were expert at offering me the level of support which enabled me to participate in the sport I love but not restrict me or over protect me in the potentially hazardous environment of deep diving. I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The staff at the shop, the boat Captains and the boats and equipment were all first class. I would definitely recommend this company to any diver, able bodied or disabled as they know their game and make every effort to give their customers a first class service.

Rochester, New York
“Excellent PADI certification and diving experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

Capt Hook's is fantastic. My family spent a week in April in Marathon. My daughter (age 13) and I arranged to do the pool and diver certification work with Capt Hook's. We had already done the online course work at home, so we only needed 1 1/2 days for the pool and open water dives. Our instructor, Denise, was terrific. She made the whole experience seem easy and fun. The dives, of course, were great. We saw a nurse shark, barracuda, many schools of fish, crabs, tons of coral, sponges, etc, etc. After we were certified, we signed up for an additional dive. Denise was on the boat teaching another father-daughter pair. Dave was our divemaster for that dive. He led us to interesting areas, but let us explore a bit on our own, which we really appreciated. What else can I say about Capt Hook's? They take safety seriously. One dive trip was canceled because the seas were too choppy. We were able to make that up later in the week. The boat captain, Mike, makes sure everyone is informed of safety procedures and rules. He and the crew also help divers on and off the boat. Again, it was a great trip. We're looking forward to diving with them again!