“Pass it!!”

Bonefish Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Soldotna, Alaska
Reviewed April 1, 2006

Would probably give the Bonefish 2 stars if it werent for the fact that my wife was unable to complete her shower after staying there the night before...No water pressure!!! To make matters worse there was no hotel staff available until 9AM when we needed to be on the road. Also no coffee in very small rooms.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed January 11, 2006

We stayed at the bonefish resort from dec 24-dec 27 and loved it! Our room was adorable and the bed very comfy. The walkway area was very beautiful. Just coming off a major hurricane they really kept this place very nice. Places surrounding it were still a mess, so we could tell they really put alot of effort into cleaning it up for future visitors. As for the parking, I did not feel it was bad at all. You had a little walk to get to your room but nothing big, after all your on vacation, be outside and enjoy the view. The pool and beach area small but very intimate and that is what we were looking for. Pool was very clean everyday my daughter was in it. And very well heated as well. The sunrises were just gorgeous from the deck and beach area along with thier deck swing. I would highly reccommend this place to people looking for an economical quiet keysey type vacation.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank smatzke64
Reviewed May 30, 2005

My family and I stayed at Bonefish in May 2003. This is an old Florida keys motel at it's best. Our room was some sort of renovated motel/trailer? Sounds scary but its not. The room was so clean and had everything we needed for a relaxing stay. The grounds are small but clean and beautiful. Lots of well kept tropical plants, a lovely hammock, a great dock on the water complete with hot tub. Parking can be challenging, but when is it not in the keys? This is a very small very well kept place. I never saw much of the staff, which to me is a good thing. We stayed in unit 14, it had a lovely private deck. Bonefish is proof that old does not have to mean dirty and dingy. If you are looking for a place that exemplifies the old Florida Keys, this place is great. If you are looking for a luxury resort with lots of action, this place is not for you. I've stayed in lots of places in the Keys that I wish I could forget. Bonefish was a pleasent suprise.

• Stayed: May 2003
7  Thank randaab
Maryland
Reviewed May 1, 2005

Rooms were small and the parking still has not changed regardless of what our firends had told us...plus the a/c was broke and the so-called pool they have, well it was filled with muck!
Not so good if you have kids, there's nothing to do, not even an eatery within walking distant. We wound up staying off the premises most of the time and if you want to take day trips to Key West or local beaches it was ok since your close to everything.
If your looking for a cheap motel on a shoestring with a bunch of crusin tennagers, well than I guess I rate it a 8.5, but if you want a memorable family vacation it gets a 2.0...drive further or stay in Islamorada.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
mikejw, front desk at Bonefish Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2007

Dear Writer
You are wrong about the pool being filled with muck. After hurricane Wilma it may have been that way for a few days, but we had no guests in our resort at that time. So you are definately wrong. Our pool is well maintained. You obviously were looking for a resort with more to offer. That means you must pay more money. Love it or hate it, that's the fact. Bonefish Resort is priced accordingly. Thank you for your review.

Mike

Reviewed April 16, 2005

My husband and I wanted to try the Bonefish Resort as we heard from so many people that the property was charming. Well, everyone was right. The rooms are very very clean, and quite charming.The parking situation is different now.Guests can no longer park in the narrow driveway as each parking space was converted to provide every unit with an outdoor patio furnished with a table and chairs and a charcoal grill. A brand new oceanfront swimming pool is on the property as well. The water front cabana with the swing certainly was enjoyable. The lighting in the evening is so calming too. The property is conveniently located to several restaurants, and the Dolphin Research Center. We would definitely return to the Bonefish Resort and recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
tampa , fl
Reviewed August 4, 2004

Very disappointed , the luxury suites were some sort of trailer that would sleep 1 comfortably, and the room had a strange odor, and my son was afraid to sleep on the futon for fear of contracting something . If you are over 5'5'' , wear a crash helmet so you don't hit the fixture . Bulb was burned out anyway. No parking, no beach, nothing to write home about . Would not recommend it unless you had just spent 6 weeks in the Gobi desert. After seeing the place, tried to have our deposit refunded, but the management refused, and became very nasty about the whole deal. we stayed one night to use up of much of our deposit as possible. Moved next door the the Grassy Key Lodging , which was like heaven.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 27, 2004

Okay.. where do I begin? First, don't even think of parking in this place, there is no room for cars. (Makes unloading for a week very difficult). Bonefish claims to be on the beach... I don't call brown muck half of the day a beach. no swimming at all. The Cabins we thought we were renting were actually mobile homes cut in half and attached to another unit (the other half of the mobile home, of course!) Few units had decks or balconies. The place looked very different from the brochure. Pool was nice, covered deck was great. Units are small, but cooled well with a/c. They were small, but clean. It wasn't at all what we thought we were getting, we were disappointed, but managed to make the best of it. I guess the whole Keys scene was not at all what I expected. I would have to say the most irritating thing was the parking, and never knowing if you could get near your unit or not. I was amazed by the trash on the "beach" that remained there the whole time we were there.

8  Thank Carol A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
10 mi away
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!