“Not that bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Otsego, Minnesota
“Not that bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

When we called to book we actually thought we were getting a room at "Yellow tail Inn" which just down the ocean a bit. (Also is owned by this owner) So after reading the reviews we were scared. We were in room 304 which was very clean- or as clean as possible since the property is in need of a total update. The fridge and stove both really need to be thrown out they were both very rusty and old looking but they did work. The ocean area/dock is beautiful. My husband would not stay here 2 nights in a row but it really didnt bother me one way or another since the ocean area made up for the old run down rooms. The yellow tail didnt even look like it was open.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the ocean they looked bigger and more updated. Dont wait til the last minute to boo...
2 Thank MNangel
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thanks for your business, we hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sebastian, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

What a pleasant surprise. I booked Bonefish in a hurry as most of the Fl Keys was sold out. I checked in last night with my girlfriend. Now I'm writing this review from the property's wifi. I was so thrilled about being down here on the ocean, that I decided to write this review. I saw some maintenance people on the property doing some painting. So they must be in process of making the place look nicer. Though it didn't look bad to begin with. It's a small resort on the ocean and it's cheap. The view from the ocean front is amazing. I took some pictures and uploaded them. I was able to go to the office at yellowtail and get some info on places to see while we're here. They don't have a restaurant but there was one under construction right in front of the yellowtail inn. I'm excited about the next time we come. This place will forever remain our little secret place. Great memories to come. Thank you Bonefish....

1 Thank ronald w
Thanks for the nice review. We are working hard to make some much-needed improvements to the hotel. Thanks for the nice pictures too! Hope to see you again soon!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was skeptical about booking here after reading some of the reviews. I called and spoke with a front desk person named Elijah and he was very nice. I stayed in a guest room style unit. It was small but I didn't need anything big. It was just for me and was only $129 per night with a $10 resort fee. I said "ok let's do it". I got to the resort. Registration for Bonefish Resort is at Yellowtail Inn. There I met Elijah in person and he was nice again. I stayed for three nights. I mostly stayed at the resort and just waded around the flats for hours when the tide was high. It was even better when the tide was low because I was able to collect the shells that are out there. There are lots of birds off the shore line too. They allow their guests to use Yellowtail Inn and Casa Del Sol Resort amenities too. Amazing natural location. And it was incredibly busy when I was there this past March. I met quite a few nice people who were also staying at Bonefish Resort and loved their stay. I will be coming back.

Room Tip: Park on the side of Bonefish away from the Highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank explorer123123
Thanks for the kind words! We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This "resort" is a business operated, it seems, by its off-site owner and/or unavailable " hotel manager" as little other than a cash-generating Venus fly trap ensnaring the unwary traveler's credit card account.

Do not be fooled by their website! Do not book it sight/unseen!

Bonefish "resort" is an old and decaying trailer park long overdue for being shut down as a health hazard. Rot, bugs, decay -- all this for a non-refundable" cost of $175 or more per night.

I notified my credit card company I am placing the "non-refundable" overnight charge(s) -- and an entirely unauthorized charge of $22.50 posted on my departure date -- into dispute. Yes, unauthorized.

I have also made a formal written complaint (with digital photos) of our run-down room -- replete with holes punched in the wall, dead insects, and stained and torn bedding) -- with the Marathon Chamber of Commerce.

Margaret Taylor

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mctphd

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Olathe, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

The resort is upkept and is in serious need of major repairs. Our deck was unsafe, the foundation of the unit was off its cement blocks and the floors tilted and doors did not shut. Parking accommodates 5-6 cars and is right off the busy highway 1, and you can't see your car from any of the motel units. The business office is located a block or so away, and they serve three motels, so there's no personal connection. I imagine the owners are nowhere near the area, which reeks of sulfur when the tide is out. We stayed only one night, and lost our money for the additional night we had booked, but it was unsuitable for habitation.

1 Thank Ruth R
Bay City, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I also booked online based on location and the site's pictures and description. My "guest room" was small, cramped but reasonably clean (hence the 1 ball rating). There was NO water pressure (read: dribbling) for showers and the water temp alternated from icy to scalding. The bed sheets were worn and unchanged for the three nights I stayed; I know this because the stain on the fitted sheet was in the same spot each night. The vinyl blinds were ripped and dirty. The coffee cups were stained from previous use and obviously unwashed. The view of the Atlantic was really the only redeeming feature but overall, the place is just creepy, grimy and poorly maintained for the $129.00+ per night charged to sucker tourists. That said, a little bit of pride, elbow grease and paint would add some value. Tourist beware!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We rented room at last minute over phone the whole keys area was sold out !!
Arrived and had to walk a few hundred yards to the motel down the highway in the dark to check in... Then walk back to look for our room and unload in the dark!!!
After dinner as I pulled blankets back to go to sleep these bugs were crawling on the pillow.... My hubby took a pic n we looked up bed bugs on the net... Sure nough... Bed bugs... Tried to call the emergency # got voicemail n no one ever called us back!!! We left by 7am and office was still closed so of coarse no one to complain to!!!! We travel with our own pillows n left them behind due to the bed bugs!!!
I will never stay in this resort or the other two connected to it!!! Yellowfin and casa !!!
Disgusted!!!
All we asked for was maybe an apology phone call!!! But no response???? Really????
Also paid 178.00 to have bed bugs!!!!

I called and emailed local Health Dept today!!! Not sure if it'll help but at least they are aware!!!
We are regular keys visitors n love the old school keys resorts!!! We have stayed at several and are not picky people!!!This however is unacceptable!!!
Would never recommend any of their three properties unless u want to come home with creepy crawly visitors!!!
Lesson learned ,well stick to our known resorts or stay home !!!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Butterat68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!