“Could have been cleaner...”
Review of Bonefish Resort

Bonefish Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very small very old motel style. The layout is decent, the pool just alright. The deck outside is nice and the view and location is what make this hotel.
The room was decently clean, but seems like it could have been cleaner. Many problems with painting and decor in the room. It looks like a child painted the walls...no masking done at all. Also lots of holes and cracks in the walls that needed attending to.

There was an envelope on the counter when we walked in from the housekeeper looking for a tip. I've never seen a housekeeping tip envelope left for a guest in a room to see when they check in. We didn't leave any money because the room was not that clean anyway. There was a sticky substance on the counter which looks like it was from the last people, the beds were dingy and linens looked like they had been used since the 70s. There were small orange dots on the white sheets given to us...I'm hoping these were just rust stains from the shelves they place linens on after cleaning.

This place is not for people who are looking to splurge or find top quality and service. If you are looking for a no frills type place, bed to sleep on during the night in the keys, in a somewhat convenient location to the upper and lower keys, then you should stay here.

Room Tip: Not one closest to the road outside...very noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked this small resort thru booking.com. Picture on line looked nice. Until we got there. We checked in and went to our room, oh by the way Bonefish doesn’t have a office, you need to go down the street to another resort, check in there and then get back to your room, you need a car to do that, we get to our room open the door and the smell of mould hits us like a freight train. Not a chance we can sleep here, go back to the office down the street and asked for another room. Went back and same smell in room number two. We opened all the windows and forced ourselves to stay. The mould was smell was coming from the bathroom. The bathroom is lower than the ground ourside and you can tell its flooded many times. There is a tree growing thru the middle of the building and in the wind it rubs the building and makes a lot of noise. Keeps you awake all night long. The beach looks nice on the web , but it’s only a foot or so deep, when tide is out it looks like a mud swamp. We checked out as soon as we found another place to stay. But because I booked it with BOOKING.COM the office would not give me a refund. I pursued Booking.com and they refused a refund too. After lots of emails and phone calls they offered me a partial refund, which I never got.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John D
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

First of all thank you for your feedback, and I’m sorry if you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. The Bonefish Resort is an "old Keys" styled motel, the kind that used to be so common here, and is premium oceanfront property in the Florida Keys. If your needs are for something more than what we offer at the Bonefish Resort then our hotel group has larger and newer units available at neighboring properties, all priced accordingly. Our units are clean and comfortable, and we work hard to maintain them and keep them in good condition. Please understand the attitude and atmosphere of the Keys- you simply won't find the high-rise condos and resorts of Miami and Daytona. Again, I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Hopefully your next trip to the Keys will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place was not only yucky but a huge ripoff! Yes, property in the Florida Keys is at a premium and can be overpriced because of good old supply and demand. But, $184 for one night? That's what we were charged because of an $11.25 fee added on top of the exorbitant price charged for a room that not only didn't have basic amenities but had mouse droppings under the sink next to the plates! (The Health Department will definitely be notified.) There was obviously no money spent on updating this VERY old motel (not resort) and little money spent on maintaining it. The ceiling (it looked like a single wide trailer) was sagging, the floor was sloping. The only thing nice was the view. I'm not sure what the other people who rated it well were talking about. I'm guessing there were at least a few "ringers" sent in by the resort owners?

The previous night we stayed in a TINY little room, overcrowded because it had two beds in a 12 by 10 space. The kitchen area consisted of a compact refrigerator, microwave, and dishes piled in a dish rack, with obviously no way to clean them in the tiny bathroom. You couldn't even turn around in the shower.

This whole motel reminded me of a National Lampoon movie. Hard to believe in this day and age!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank barb b
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us, and I'm sorry if the room didn't meet your standards. We take all complaints seriously, and will certainly be looking into the concerns you've expressed. As you said yourself, property, especially waterfront property, in the Florida Keys is at a premium, even more so during the holidays. Considering the time of year you stayed with us, $184 is quite an economical rate. Again, I'm sorry if you didn't care for our little motel, hopefully your next visit to the Keys will be better.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was the worst place we have ever stayed. We reserved for the Bonefish, and actually were put at the Yellow Fin....they said we were "Upgraded" What they meant was...the Bonefish was uninhabitable. So was the Yellow Fin. So dilapidated. The sheets were dingy/stained. The dishes dirty. Green mold growing in the coffee filter left in the coffee pot. Entrance to the kitchen area so short my husband hit is head twice. Towels that were thin and some torn. Restroom doors chipped away. Worn trim on walls. Curtains that looked like they were made of sheets. A rear entrance nailed shut. Sad Sad....such misleading pictures. The only good thing was the view from the dock. This place was surely nice at one time....but it looks like things have not been done for 10 years. The yard actually had couches piled up next to a fence that was falling down. We took pictures because it looked so trashy no one would believe it. STAY AWAY...one can get a basic clean room in any economic chain for the same price.

3  Thank SoSorry_12
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

First of all thank you for your feedback, and I’m sorry if you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. The Yellowtail Inn is a small hotel, and that is exactly what we advertise it as. This is premium oceanfront property in the Florida Keys, and while we realize that our units aren’t compatible with a 5-star hotel, we feel the price is fair. If your needs are for something more than what we offer at the Yellowtail Inn then our hotel group has larger and newer units available at neighboring properties, all priced accordingly. Our units are clean and comfortable, and we work hard to maintain them and keep them in good condition, which isn’t always easy with seasonal hurricanes and tropical storms. Please understand the attitude and atmosphere of the Keys- the high-rise condos and 5-star resorts of Miami and Daytona simply aren’t available here, and quite frankly it isn’t fair to expect that.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was like entering a bad 1950's movie lot, and a complete rip off. I saw no evidence of any money having been spent on planned maintenance for at least 10 years.

Our room was advertised as having a kitchen and dining area. The "kitchen" was a microwave and bowl of assorted crockery (dirty) on the dresser. The room was 12 * 10 with no room for a chair, let alone dining area.

The main power socket didn’t work. To power the lamps involved electric cables stretched across the floor. These were trip hazards.

The resort is unmanned and security non existent. Anyone can walk off of the highway into the secluded “street” and spend a morning ransacking the rooms. Check in was at another Motel 200 feet up the highway.

I’ve felt safer and stayed in better budget hotels in the third world.

I’m certain that the next time I see this Motel with be on a “My holiday nightmare” TV show.

Will I return – no.

Would I recommend this to my worst enemy – only if they had been really bad.

Room Tip: The best advise I can give is to select a different hotel/motel
2  Thank Jerry S
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thanks for the kind words.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Well... Normally there is charm in this type of place, and there could be. The room was very dated and oddly decorated. Dirty dishes were in the cupboards, the furniture was run down, furniture out side was broken and the kitchen looked like the cupboards were going to fall down if you touched them. The screen door is broken and there is termite dung on the floor. Do they have maintenance? Do they have housekeeping? I think not. My grade school camp was cleaner.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Toledokid

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We realize that there is some work to be done at our hotel, and I assure you we are doing our best. Hopefully your next stay with us will be better.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The first thing they must change is the Dude at reception who has no manners and no class.
We could not leave since the other hotels in the area were booked. There is no Wi-Fi but the Dude at reception will swear to you there is. He even showed me on his phone he has Wi-Fi but had no idea his phone was picking up the signal of his carrier. The so called swimming pools are no larger than 8ft x 5ft and filthy and cold. The rooms and premises are run down. The beach has not been cleaned in years and the water you cannot swim in.
The switched our room after I already booked an oceanfront bungalow. The Dude with his motorcycle told be that my room was not vacant sine the maids forgot to clean the room. You cannot believe hoe shabby and smelly this place is. The owner runs 3 resorts . There will always be people who love this shabby type of hotels since for them it is Paradise. Dogs are permitted and lets hope the pick up the POO POO. It could be a fantastic place if the owner would get rid of the Dude at reception the guy about 5ft 8in who refused to give me his name so I named him Dude. All and all is you like a dump with no luxury and no service and a rusted'BBQ this is the pace for you. Enjoy your visit and don't expect internet since the owner has a router that cannot send a signal more than 10 ft if that. I f you stay there say hello to Dude and wish him well. if you say the wrong thing in my opinion the guy could get very aggressive...

2  Thank mondialcorp
BonefishResort58, Manager at Bonefish Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

I'm sorry that you and your granddaughter didn't enjoy your stay with us. Three members of our staff were able to confirm that our wi-fi was working just fine, and suggesting that our employees don't know the difference between connecting to a wi-fi network or using their own cel phone coverage is pretty insulting. I know you said that a member of our staff was aggressive, but based on the condescending tone of your review I'm inclined to believe it was actually the other way around. Our staff is here to assist you, but not to allow you to abuse and insult them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort

Been to Bonefish Resort? Share your experiences!