“Quality time with Family”
Review of Yellowtail Inn

Yellowtail Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Rented room/apartment 111 penthouse and had a great time with the family. Large space - two bedroom, 2 full bath, big kitchen, gigantic living room (with two futons for extra sleeping space) with fantastic view of the Atlantic (best side as the bay side can be smelly). Quiet/tranquil/not a lot of noise, felt like going back in time to quaint Keys. Was a last minute booking and they were very cooperative. Will be back.

Room Tip: Room 111 penthouse
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Glendon H
There are newer reviews for Yellowtail Inn

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We have been staying at one of the resorts at this location for 5 years. This year I decided to rent room 111 which is the Penthouse of the resort. It is beautiful, spacious and very well equipped. What I love most about the unit was the 2 full baths. With 4 adults that made it very handy. The beach is beautiful. We snorkeled and swam to the left of the pier the 3 days we were there. Seaweed would wash up at high tide and the staff would remove it daily. This resort is Not South Beach, Fort Myers Beach or Daytona Beach type place. This is place where you come to relax. It’s not about the boardwalk, beach stores, specialty restaurants or amusements. It about tropical weather, palm and coconut trees and the beautiful Atlantic Ocean with all its natural living fish, corals and birds. This is where you find nature with no fluff. If you’re looking for relaxing and powering down from the everyday commitment of life you’ve found the place. No worries, no problems just beauty and relaxation. When arrived this year we were surprised to see that someone had opened the restaurant in front of the resort. It was fabulous. You could find a huge variety of wines and beers. High end deli meats and cheese and breakfast, lunch and dinner, what an addition to the already perfect paradise. We arrived a day earlier than planned. We couldn’t wait to get there. I called and Heather didn’t have room 111 available. She suggested we take 112 over the office. I was pleasantly surprised the views from this unit were the best I have ever experienced at this resort. I will book 112 every time from this day forward. Room was comfortable and well equipped.

Room Tip: Bring water shoes. Its a must to experience the Atlantic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ronbernie
Reviewed March 16, 2014

So .... After confirming a reservation for the 2 Bed/2 Bath Oceanfront suite I found these reviews. OMG... It was too close to the arrival date to request a refund. My family and i were pretty worried. We took sheets, towels, bug spray, TP etc just in case the reviews were well founded. I emailed the motel sharing my concerns and hoping for sore re-assurance. I was contacted by phone the next morning by Heather who was handling reservations. She claimed that the bad reviews were highly exaggerated and I had nothing to worry about if my expectations were realistic... That the place has some age, but great efforts are made to keep it clean and in good repair. OK... we'll see.

We arrived Friday between 9PM and 9:30. The office was still open and staffed with one person on the desk. Driving up I saw a fenced in parking area leading to a 3 story building above the office. Well enough lit. From the outside everything looked good and appeared to be painted within a reasonably recent time. Not a speck of trash. Good breeze off the water.... No odor from the beach. we checked in... all as represented. Check in was pleasant and without any surprises.

We got the room we had reserved and being on the third floor, we had One flight of indoor stairs to get to the living area. New stairs, well lit, reasonably freshly painted walls... Up we go/ Top of the stairs 2 Bed/ 2Bath decent small kitchen, baths were clean and adequate for what they are intended for. Fantastic lighted covered deck/ porch with a table and chairs all of 10 yards from the Atlantic ocean (if that). Beach below our porch was clean. Beautiful night view. Back inside for the real test... check the place for cleanliness.. Fridge... perfect. Stove fine. Microwave..looked good. Blender... fitting for the setting. Bedrooms... spotless sheets, 6 drawer dresser, 2 night stands, working (although admittedly tiny) TV on cable. free WiFi strong but a tad slow if you are used to real high speed/. Ceiling fans in bedrooms and living room.. A couple more lights in the living room would have made reading at night a bit easier. Overall.. I can see that this suite, sitting just a few feet from the water, would be very difficult to keep in good condition and clean. But that is exactly how I would describe it . And I can appreciate that it did not happen by accident. Remarkably... we did not see a bug between Fri and Sunday. Paint looked reasonably fresh everywhere. No stains or marks anywhere. Never saw the pool. But I knew there were two others if we needed it. The place is pet friendly which saved us some money and allowed the "family" to weekend together. We had little interaction with the staff after check in... did not need any. Although we did see the beach being cleaned in the morning.

A little unrelated: Restaurant was good food, good service, everything we wanted.

I don't know what the deal is with all the very harsh reviews. From my perspective, these would have to be considered very unfair. I can only say that our experience was very good, not at all as one would expect after reading many of these.

Room Tip: Suite 112 3rd floor just what we needed. Can't imagine the floor below us being any less pleasan...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim H
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. It's got a beautiful view. The restaurant next store has great breakfast and not to bad of price for being in the keys. The lady who helped us that evening was so nice and happy too. I can't remember her name but she also works for the dolphin place across the street. We didn't use any of the pools here because we ran our if time but the ocean view with hammocks, palm trees, and Dock were very pleasant to experience in the morning. We watched the sunrise.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

If you only care about a quiet place to stay with an awesome view, it is great. If you care about the quality of your room...keep driving. Units are old park model trailers converted to bungalows. The one I stayed in (room 101) had a small Florida room attached. However, some if the windows and an unused door were boarded over. Curtains were kinda of there to cover that up. The 1 and only queen bed had no headboard and was partially shoved against an unused closet with an accordion style door. Pillows would not stay on the bed. Window unit air conditioners were old and noisy. The walls, ceiling and trim were very dirty with holes in them. The toilet was stuck in a tiny cubby hole. It appeared that no windows would open. I will say the location and setting of this Inn is very nice with great floral landscaping. However, the units need to be cleaned with a lot more care, renovated or replaced.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jess S
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our first stay at the Yellow Tail Inn 5 years was in one of the trailer like cottages near the water, at the time it was acceptable, for a Keys type rental. We have stayed there 3 times in total . It was not up to a major chain Hotel level of quality however that's not what we expected being in the Keys. It's great for a family with pets and they do offer a grill outside all of the cottages for cooking. This is great for Florida families such as ours on a budget and we can bring our own food and supplies to keep the nut down. We recently stayed there and were unfortunately disappointed with the abandoned restaurant in the main parking lot, the condition of the units, warped floors and noisy worn out A/C units and the lack of a true on duty cleaning staff. Yes we saw a few ants but it is the Tropics so its not the end of the world.....It seemed like there was only one cleaning person for both of the properties during our stay for The Yellow Tail and it's sister motel next door the Bonefish. Perhaps its the economy, ignorance or greed on behalf of the property owner. But I agree with a majority of the negative reviewers that it's time for a renovation.....We will not stay here until the reviews improve, we are planning to partner up with another couple and rent a house nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We were first given a room that had bug excrement in the closet, drawers and under the pillows on the bed. The decor was dated, which would be fine if it didn't cross the line into neglected. The extra pillows did not have cases and although they gave soap there was no convenient shampoo, conditioner or dish soap. The windows had masking tape on the edges to close them but they did not dull the sound of crunching gravel and voices from the parking lot. I could not stand the idea of sitting on the sofa or the bed and refused to set our bags on the floor.
We unfortunately had 2 nights pre-booked. We tried to check online for their cancellation policy, but the wi-fi service was 'spotty' at best. We went to ask about the cancellation policy as I couldn't picture climbing into that bed and found out that they would charge us full price for both nights no matter what we decided to do.
After mentioning the bugs the staff said she would move us to an 'upgraded' room for the same price. She said she would go with us to check for bugs, but walked around the room too quickly to even pretend to have done so. The new room also had bug piles in the window sills, no pillow cases on the extra pillows, no working lights in the bedroom area (I didn't want to see anything too closely anyway!), no convenient shampoo/conditioner, water damage to most of the walls, a window air conditioner too loud to leave on at night.
The housekeeping the next morning made the comforter but left the bottom and top sheets almost as messy as we left them. They did not clean the washroom at all (bug stuff was still scattered all over from the open window blowing it off the sill).
And we were charged full 'upgraded' price in the end anyway! So I get to continue to deal with this hotel that I wanted rid of as soon as I walked into the first room.
Also, my husband mistook the pool for a hot tub because of its size. So I am not sure what the 'resort fees' were actually going towards.
I can't describe the anger I feel about having had to stay 2 nights at this place because they refused to refund us at all and let us leave to go somewhere I could have relaxed!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!