“Come to relax”

Ranked #12 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Vero Beach, Florida
“Come to relax”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Want to fish? There are many bridges within minutes of this place. The pier is for adventure of watching little fish and horseshoe crabs. Want to party and shop? Key West is an hour away. Wear swim shoes to walk in the grassy stuff. Put your beach chair in the water and bring a good book with a drink and relax. In the Keys, there's no deep water for several yards out. We were there Wed to Sat and it was very quiet. Pool is the size of a large hot tub, but is refreshing to sit in. When we left, families were coming in and could be fun for social life and kids playing together. Housekeeper (Spanish only) brings clean towels, does not clean. Whould be nice if they had a broom and dust pan in the room. It gets very sandy. (ps. you're on the beach!) Room 105 is a quaint beach cottage, as most of the room seem to be, but there is a large room in an upstairs building that is roomy enough for a big family. Kitchen and eating table share the same space, literally. The sofa and TV are close, but okay. Bed and bath area is long but narrow. The soft double bed has just enough room to get into the bed on both sides. (lucky thing) Toilet is small, short and close to the wall. It all seemed clean, new micro, gas stove, decent mid size frig, coffee pot, blender, toaster, few pots, enough stuff for four people to eat. Bring your own food and enjoy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thanks for the great review! We loved having you and hope you'll stay with us again soon!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

I booked through expedia. Check in was fine. He said he had to make a copy of my card. Well, after I got back home, my card was charged 6.75. I called to ask what that was for. I was told that I should have read the paper a little better. I asked for his name. He said, "I do not have to reveal that to you." I told him I just didn't know who was speaking to me like that. He got extremely nasty and laughed at me and aagainsaid,"you need to learn to read better." I told him i would be writing a review and contacting the owner. He laughed and said,"write your stupid review" and hung up on me. I really wish I had read trip advisor before I booked. The pictures they use are great. The whole property was ditry, smelly, and old. Nothing like the pics. I can handle an old motel. But I literally got out lysol and cleaned our room. There were bugs, both dead and alive inside. I understand the keys and bugs, but clean the 200 plus dead ones out of the window by where I HAVE TO LAY MY HEAD. Sheets were dirty and i didn't even shower there after entering the bathroom. Toilets wouldnt flush and i thought i would hit the floor everytime my 120 lb body sat on it. The pool was disgusting. When i asked for a skimmer to do it myself, he said not to worry about it. I asked if all 3 properties were owned by same people. They said yes but never offered to let me swim in other pools that would be clean and be bigger than my bathtub. I have stayed in some old mom and pop motels. I like the charm they have. This needs to be reported. I called the hotel to try to get the manager or owner. No responsel save yourself the misery, money, and stress and stay someplace else. Heck...sleep in your car. I will continue this as high as i need to. And the sad thing is, i never would have written this had i just been told why my card was charged.... sad.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank dalgal911
, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
This review is based entirely on this guest calling and picking a fight with our staff. You know how the phone conversation really went and that our employee answered every question you asked. The resort fee is standard for every hotel in the keys, and is mentioned in our confirmation email as well as on the sign-in sheet, which is exactly what our staff member told you on the phone. It is not a hidden fee and our staff is not responsible for your failure to reed the the sheet before signing it. You were very confrontational and hostile with a young man who answered every question you asked him and did his best to maintain a professional tone. We do not expect our staff to allow themselves to be bullied by belligerent guests.

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Lets start off with rude service...no compasion towards a group of 8 people that got down graded to a room that light was not working, water didpenser is broken...and worst of all A COCAROACH it was late at night when we arrived with a couple of kids and us parents tired from no rest since early in the morning and this guy is just being awfully rude and all he kept saying was "so do you want to stay or not" of course we did not stay and did not get our money back......So dont go here or the other hotel this guy owns...oh and 2 words RIP OFF so this was by far the worst night ever

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mia Bella A
, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We work very hard to keep our rooms clean and up to date, and I'm sorry if we didn't meet your expectations.
Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

The week that my family and I were supposed to stay there, my sister is admitted in the hospital.. Since she is the one who paid for the hotel, we called to try and either get our money back or receive a credit... Fail. The guy was such a jerk on the phone. Not one bit of compassion for my sister. My brother in law tried to call and ask for a refend or a credit and all the idiot did was cancel our reservation and sell it to someone else! On the day of our set arrival, my sister calls and tells the guy we'll go anyways. He never mentioned that he had already sold our room without our permission. So on our way over there, my other sister calls to let them know we are running late but we are halfway there... NOW IS WHEN HE TELLS US HE SOLD OUR ROOM!!! And all he had left was a 2 bedroom room in spite that we are 8 PEOPLE!!! We decide to go anyways to see if we can fit.. Seeing that this was last minute... We arrive and our room had a roach, the light didn't turn on, the water dispenser was broken, there was no beachfront view, the room smelled and was filthy and the A/C was jammed!! Outraged my sister runs downstairs to complain, we had paid for a 3 bedroom cot with a beachfront view for $242 for one night.. And now we are downgraded to the crappiest room I have ever seen without a refund or at least giving us some money back for the downgrade! We called the police and nothing was done. All he kept saying was "Do you want the room or not?" No compassion for our small children, no compassion for my sick sister in the hospital... He was like a soulless man. I hope they show him as much compassion as he has shown my own family. Even if we had stayed and gotten the room we paid for, the hotel was garbage anyways... If you want a beautiful beachfront hotel, keep it moving man!!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Kaylamaria
BonefishResort, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
The reason we take a 2-night deposit is to protect our business from cancellations. I'm sorry for your misfortune but this is a business. You cancelled your reservation with full understanding of our policy. It was thoroughly explained to you that there would be no refund. When you showed up at our hotel anyway without advance notice you should not have been surprised that we'd resold the suite. Our staff was kind enough to transfer the funds from your cancelled reservation to a new reservation, which was not required of them. We did more than was necessary to accommodate your party, and you did nothing but cause trouble for us.
It is extremely inappropriate for you to attack our staff by name. They are doing their jobs and following the policies that we have set for them.
Valrico, Florida
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The Yellowtail Inn is disgrace. The place was filthy. The beach no way looked like what was depicted on their webstire. Our room had dirty floors, holes in every curtain and the futon which was suppose to be the sofa. Electrical outlet were open and the outlet for the kitchen was not up to code. The refrigerator was rusted all over. Floors were cracked. The beach had a pile of rotting seaweed piled up 5" high and the smell was toxic and well as a pile in the front of the hotel. When we went to the pool, there was an iguana in it and the hot tub had a snake in it. The staff during the day were rude. We had made reservations for 3 nights and were told that there was a 2 night min. We stayed much to our regret for the 2 nights and they manger STILL charged us for the 3rd night., When we called him and questiioned the charge he became ugly - said he had that right and hung up on us.
I would not recommend this hotel TO ANYONE!!! We have pictures to document all of this.
STAY AWAY

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Donna H
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I'm certain the room was not as bad as you say, because I see our rooms everyday and I know for a fact your description in completely inaccurate. If you make a reservation for 3 nights I see no reason why you'd be surprised that we charge you for 3 nights. Yes, sometimes iguanas enter the swimming pool. They are harmless animals and they love the water. Our friendly staff has no problem removing them from the pool, but since we are such a small business with a small staff, we don't always notice this kind of thing right away. Not sure where you saw a snake in a hot tub, since we don't have a hot tub. Perhaps you were trespassing on our neighbor's property?
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Booked a room at this so called resort and barely could walk into the room because of the awful smell of urine! Christian at the desk then offers another room; super...only it is infested with hundreds and hundreds of flying bugs. So disgusting we leave and are told money will be refunded. Guess what? They do not refund any money and when we call to question they tell us too bad go ahead and dispute it with your credit card.

Most awful customer service and accomodations ever!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maria32772
BonefishResort, Manager at Yellowtail Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. However, slamming us online does not expedite the refund process.
Jupiter, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I was booked at the Bonefish Resort. Couldnt find the check-in office. Called, was told I was upgraded to deluxe suite at Yellowtail Inn. Checked in, they couldnt tell me why I was upgraded. Got to the room, kitchen & cabinets covered in roaches. All kitchens items was dirty. Room extremely small & very dusty/dirty. The is no BEACH front! The pictures on this site & Bonefish are very decieving.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michele B
I'm sorry you didn't like the free upgrade you were given. Our housekeeping staff is very professional and they do an excellent job, and I apologize if their work didn't meet your standards. I'm afraid I don't understand why you would say there is no beach- I myself find it hard to miss.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Yellowtail Inn? Share your experiences!