“True Keys experience !”

Ranked #6 of 16 Marathon B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, Florida
“True Keys experience !”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Every year we try to stop and stay at the White Sands Inn on our way to Key West. It is really a charming place and totally laid back atmosphere. I love waking up and walking out to a Beautiful Sunrise on the water ! They have a really nice pool area and the rooms are very clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank keys2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here with my family and when I was looking for hotels in the Keys, I wanted value for money and a laid-back vacation spot on the water. I found this in the White Sands Inn. Rachel, one of the owners, was very accommodating when I spoke to her on the phone and her father, Tom, who was managing the Inn while we were there, was helpful and friendly. The rooms don't come with daily housekeeping but fresh towels are left daily and our request for more teaspoons was promptly satisfied. There was no hairdryer in the room. Four of us stayed in Room 5 which is a tight fit but worked for the 5 days we were there. The room is nicely decorated. My favorite part of the inn was the grounds. The hammocks, beach chairs, and picnic table allow you to relax under the palm trees. The inn was full occupancy on the weekend but we never felt that the grounds were crowded.

Room Tip: You can't go too wrong but Rooms 1 and 2 on the ground floor directly face the beach. Rooms 4 an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My family stayed in the Hibiscus room for 3 nights and loved it! The Inn is right on the water but there is no beach to speak of. Honestly, a sandy beach is difficult to find in the Keys anyways. The White Sands Inn has the Key feel I was looking for. From the palm trees and hammocks on the property to decoration in the room. This place is perfect for families! When we arrived and were bringing our bags to our room, my kids started to explore the property. Immediately, the gentleman who worked there(sorry don't know his name) brought a bucket of sand toys for my kids to use. Also, the heated pool was a big hit with my kids. There were chairs for me to sun myself while kids played in pool. SIDE NOTE, towels were provided at pool so you don't need bring your own or use the towels from your room. Our room was the perfect size for our family. The small kitchen had the basic essentials much more than other places I have stayed and helped save on money. Marathon is only a short drive away to buy groceries. The room was clean and was "Key" decorated. The bed and futon were very comfortable. New towels and trash bags were provided daily. My only (small) complaint about the room not enough hooks. With 4 people showering and our own towels used during day trips, there was not enough places to hang a towel or our bags/purses. There are two chairs outside of the room on the little patio which were fine to use the first night since the room next to ours was vacant. The chairs are right outside of the other room's window. The next two nights when the room was occupied we simply sat under the tiki hut. SIDE NOTE, there are white Christmas lights inside tiki hut plug is located in corner closet to the Inn. Enough light we were able to play cards. I also want to mention the Kayaks. This was a major plus for me when deciding where to stay. The kayaks were awesome! They are the sit on top kind but better than ones I have used previously. The kayaks are meant for one person but my kids fit in front of each of us comfortably. The gentleman recommended launching from wooden steps at the corner of property by large grass area. SIDE NOTE, kayaking ocean is much different than a river or stream, lol! It was very windy but I got a good workout. Overall an awesome vacation!! I'm sorry I did not see one of the beautiful sunrises but I'm not a morning person. Oh but the moon rise was something amazing. I will stay here again and can't wait until I do.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Teresa G
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Had the bed not been shoved in a corner, making a crawl in necessary, we would have rated the place a bit higher. Bed also clunked loudly. Not the best when getting up at night. Beaches not the greatest any where we went in the keys.
Setting was interesting. Nice views. Too tacky for our taste.

• Stayed March 2013
GRAND HAVEN
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week's vacation at the White Sands Inn. It is the perfect place for travelers seeking a low-key vacation.

The room does not come with daily housekeeping (although you will get fresh towels) and bathroom amenities like shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hair dryer, etc.

What you will get: a clean, nicely appointed room, well-kept grounds with an expansive view of the ocean, a heated pool that is small, but never crowded.

If you have never been to the Keys, you will be surprised by the beach. All of the resorts and state parks are required to keep the beaches in their natural state. This means there will be lots of seaweed piled on the shore.

If you want five-star accommodations, White Sands is not for you. It is for travelers looking for peaceful/easy lodging without the fuss.

I highly recommend White Sands for adults seeking an alternative to cookie-cutter resorts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elizjean
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We recently stayed in the Sunrise suite(3 bedroom,1 bath, full kitchen) for a 3 night getaway. The photos online are a true representation of what the property looked like. We were concerned about the postings regarding the stinky seaweed and lack of beach to walk on, but these are the Florida Keys after all! The rooms, pool area, dock and lounge chairs were clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful, as were the other guests. We went kayaking with ones provided by the inn, they were great as they had a seat back you could put up and a gentleman just added wooden steps along the seawall to help you launch. This was great to avoid the dark muck in the cove area, there was still silt but it was white and the water was clear. You could go south to a large beach area if you wanted to get out and walk which is exactly what we did. The sunrises are great, the lounge chairs and hammocks are a big plus for relaxing. There was a happy hour with beverages and snacks that we didnt partake in since we made our meals in our kitchen. You are not far from Key West to spend a few hours and there are nature preserves close by. There is a Publix in Marathon so you can get supplies, as well as several restaurants nearby. This is strictly for a "low key, chill out and read a book, kayak and swim, nap on a chair or a hammock or sit on the dock in the sunshine, leave your electronics at home" kind of getaway.(although they had great satellite tv stations, their wifi wasn't great unless you were close to the main building) Thank you to all, we had a great time!

Room Tip: Sunshine suite is good for families or couples as it has alot of space and a full kitchen. only draw...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denton, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Maybe it's just the time of year but the beach of White Sands was not a beach at all. It was covered in grassy stinky crud. The facilities themselves were outstanding. Very Clean, everything at our disposal. This is an excellent place to go to get a way and have a little privacy. We stayed in the Key Lime room and we loved it, very clean, well kept, and quiet. Just dont expect to go on long walks looking for sea shells or swimming, it will not be happening here. Still a great place at a good price.

Room Tip: Rooms located at the front of the property are right next to the highway and can be expected to be l...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorra G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to White Sands Inn? Share your experiences!