“Exceeded my expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Boca Raton, Florida
“Exceeded my expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

This place was one of the few motels close to Key West over Memorial Day holiday that allowed dogs and the price was very cheap. I expected it to be you're typical "get what you pay for" place. Boy was I amazed. This place is adorable!! The room one one of the cleanest rooms I've ever been in and appeared to be newly remodeled with fridge/freezer, microwave, coffee maker, TV, & free wifi (I don't think there was a phone in the room). The pool was just as nice as any place I'd pay way more for. I know I'm going on and on about this place but it was quiet, adorable, cheap, and small (only a few units). I would never pay 3 times as much to stay any closer to Key West.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcb954

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed for three nights at the end of April/beginning of May. First, let me say that it would take a LOT of bad to ruin a vacation in the Keys. We had a fabulous time.

I was pleased with the room itself. It was clean, updated, breezy - rather lovely in an understated way. I also loved the pretty, laid back beach-bum atmosphere, the hammocks, the coconuts and and the palm trees. There was also a very nice cat hanging around (not sure if it was a property cat or not).

What I didn't love was the stinky, seaweed clogged beach, murky water and the dead lawn. I guess I was expecting pristine white sands and sun-warmed water :-) Oh well - that's not what the Keys are known for - that is, you have to know where to look. There was also trash littering the garage behind the neighboring property. This property looks abandoned, but if you're not looking at it, its really not too noticeable.

Also, the property is on septic (I assume most if not all of them are) and the toilet backed up into the shower. I saw there was a sediment-like substance on the bottom of the shower when we checked in, but thought nothing of it until the toilet clogged. In their defense, we were only there three days and didn't notify them of the problem until the end of our visit - hoping it would just unclog itself, I guess/kind of embarrassed.

Other than that, it was not a bad little place to stay, but I did think it was over-priced considering that all we got were towels and a place to sleep for $150 a night.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

We had a great place before coming here so our expectations were a little skewed but I'll try to be as objective as I can. The biggest thing we noticed was the tides. Our stop prior to the White Sands was on the bayside which is not affected by the tides. Unfortunately for us, the tide cycle was such that the tide was out during our daylight hours and the skunk smell and uninviting beach areas prevented us from enjoying the property. instead we kept out and about all day during our stay here which was another minor issue for us - the White Sands is located a short distance from Marathon proper and not much around other than other hotels/resorts.

The room was clean and well kept. The walls were quite thin - we could hear clear conversation from the bathroom but minor to us. There is a nice fenced pool area which we didn't use but did walk around and weren't turned off at all by anything. The dock they have is kinda crooked which could be taken as character but the dock of the adjacent property was nicely kept so it was hard not to notice. And the steps at the end of the dock which promise nice swimming once you step into the water are actually just steps to muck - but this isn't just the White Sands - the bottom is quite mucky throughout the Keys I think.

The suite we took was room 6 because of the windows wrapped around the beds but one of the windows is actually overlooking another suite's deck so the curtains were kept closed. Still, the room was quite comfortable but we had a hard time sleeping with the loud AC on and the ceiling fan was quite "electrically noisy" so that wasn't an option. Again though - we were lucky with our stay at the other place so maybe we were expecting too much.

It was nice. But there are other options around too so do your research.

Room Tip: I suspect they are all similar
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Not as advertised. There is a minuscule beach but this is really a third rate hotel that is right on the highway. They take all your money up front to ensure that you cannot leave. When my husband and I wanted to check out, there was no one in the office. In fact I never saw a staff member. The person with whom I spoke was incredibly rude and told me that they "might" give us our money back. To top off the experience, the inn is in a terrible location that requires a far drive and lacks the charm of other areas of the keys.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

We traveled to FL for the first time and couldn't have picked a better place for our vacation. The staff are helpful and friendly! I read a lot of the reviews on this website and they are pretty much dead on true with what they say about an establishment. The staff helped us pick good places to eat and places to go. We are not into the luxurious expensive hotels and prefer to spend our money with mom and pop establishments. This place was reasonably priced, clean and the kitchenette is a must if you like making breakfast before heading out to watch the sunrise. If youre on a budget and like a private beach, give this place a try. Oh and they are pet friendly too, our chihuahuas loved it too.

Room Tip: The ac units take some getitng used to it.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

On our third trip to the Keys our family chose the White Sands Inn as our lodging. We were housed in the terrific Tree Top Suite (#8). The White Sands Inn was perfect for our family! The view is truly splendid. Our 2 bedroom unit was really great...very spacious and well equipped. The property is REALLY pretty....NOT resort-like at all...you feel as though you might be at someone's beach house. The breezes blew through our bedroom window and the view of the Atlantic and the swaying palms was pretty sweet! The pool is a bit small and yes, there is grass and debris when the tide is low, but we found the view and the feel of the whole place to be extremely charming!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank michiganartgal
ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

White Sands Inn is on Grassy Key, just before the city of Marathon. It is a residential/travel lodge area. White Sands is a smaller, homey type inn with a variety of room styles. It used to be the Golden Grouper years ago...a fishing lodge. Redone in funky conch colors, it is a pleasant oasis. Owners are great, no one bothers you. Pool is nice, sand bar flats at low tide you can walk on, sit on the beach at night to watch the stars in a very black sky. Marathon is nearby for groceries, dining etc. Good walk in rates, call for rooms and they will help you out. We just love it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jjsum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to White Sands Inn? Share your experiences!