“Great small dive boat”
Review of Abyss Dive Center

Abyss Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Abyss Dive Center is a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center, offering dive instruction, from Discover Scuba Diving to IDC Staff Instructor. Dive medicine instruction through Divers Alert Network and US Coast Guard captain license courses, 6 pack and Masters. As a Scubapro Dealer we offer servicing on equipment and sales. Abyss Dive Center offers two tank boat trips daily on our 34' Crusader, Vitamin Sea.
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We dove two days with them and had good experiences on both days. The captains are knowledgeable and couldn't be more helpful. The boat is spacious and set up well. With six divers on the boat we had plenty of space. We have been here before and will definitely be back

3  Thank Cherri W

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I have been diving with them for three days last July. I have had all reviews on dive shops in Marathon, and called every one of them. Admitted, dive shops in the Keys are not flourishing as they were a while ago. The Abyss had the best reviews, so that was it. I reserved the time, paid a deposit and came to the shop.
Every dive was a combination of bad service, moody attitude of the crew, and inconvenience. Likely other shops in Marathon are not any better but they at list less brag about their superiority.

2  Thank Andrei B
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Went there this week and filled my tank. The shop manager was super friendly and it only took a few minutes to get the tank filled and it was only $5.00. I would recommend it for any diver.

2  Thank scubadivergary
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I called Abyss a few weeks before my planned trip to Marathon for the lobster mini-season. I asked to reserve tanks for the week, but was told by the gentleman answering the phone that I didn't need to reserve a tank because the shop had "plenty". I was surprised by this since lobster mini-season is usually VERY busy. He reassured me that I had nothing to worry about.
When I arrived at the shop, the owner told me that all tanks had been reserved "since March". I desribed my conversation with her staff, but she stated that no one in her shop would have said that - I guess that's the most polite way of calling me a liar.
No apology, no offer to help me find tanks, not even a recommendation for another reputable shop in town.
I understand miscommunication and mistakes by staff, but this was handled very poorly.
Fortunately, another shop on Marathon (A Deep Blue) went above and beyond to free up a couple of 63s for me to use for the week (even though they too had reserved all of their tanks)

I initially called Abyss because of all of the positive reviews - but after talking to a few local divers, I found out that Abyss is under new ownership. I have no idea if that has anything to do with my experience (or even when those positive reviews were made).
I can't comment on their dive trips, ther cert classses, etc - but my one experince with them was lousy.

4  Thank Jason V
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a small operation with a boat that holds only six divers, but the service and prices are great. We were only in the Keys for a few days and when I called other dive shops in the area, none would guarantee me a trip to the Thunderbolt; they all said my dive partner and I would have to wait to see if anyone else signed up. Not wanting to just wait and see if we could get the dive we wanted, I kept calling places until I found Abyss. They took our reservation for the day we wanted with the only stipulation being that if it turned out to be just my partner and me, we would have to split the cost of paying the dive master. As it turned out, three others ended up joining us and Captain Bob took us all out to the Thunderbolt and then to Samantha's reef. Great service, nice and knowledgeable staff, great time. Highly recommended!

3  Thank e b