“Outstanding Outfit”
Review of Abyss Dive Center

Abyss Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Abyss Dive Center is a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center, offering dive instruction, from Discover Scuba Diving to IDC Staff Instructor. Dive medicine instruction through Divers Alert Network and US Coast Guard captain license courses, 6 pack and Masters. As a Scubapro Dealer we offer servicing on equipment and sales. Abyss Dive Center offers two tank boat trips daily on our 34' Crusader, Vitamin Sea.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I came to Marathon ONLY to obtain our advanced diver certification. After a great deal of researching different dive companies, we chose Abyss (d/t both positive reviews on TripAdvisor and the fact that they only take six divers out at a time).

Six dives over three days later and advanced certificates in hand, we know we made the right choice. First, the owner, Tracy, is awesome. She's totally by-the-books, friendly, knowledgeable, and runs a top-notch outfit. Also, Captain Bob was great---very professional, incredibly knowledgeable about every aspect of diving, and funny as hell (if you don't mind groaners like: ME: "Ow, those jellies HURT!" CAPTAIN BOB: "Okay, where's the peanut butter?")! Further, our master dive instructor, Nick Huffman, was fantastic. He was patient, helpful, enthusiastic, and knows his diving. It had been 10 months since we'd been diving, and weren't terribly advanced to begin with, but he took our bumbling and mistakes (and my irrational fear of getting attacked by a shark) in complete stride. :-) He's an asset to Abyss.

All that being said, we're already planning our next dive trip to Marathon/Abyss for the New Year holiday. Marathon is our new long-weekend dive destination, replacing PCB/Destin area.

Thanks to everybody at Abyss for making our

2  Thank RobMichelle G
in 4 reviews
"seas"
"visibility"

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Brought my granddaughter for her second dive trip,she completed her 8th dive, my 541st. Gone are the days when I could bring all my dive gear with me on the plane, but the shop had perfect, brand new gear for rent. The only piece of equipment I brought on the trip was my mask, and wouldn't you know, on the first dive it leaked like a sieve! Fortunately, they had an extra one on board. The captain, Bob, was outstanding - he covered every safety point, described the sites, and was extremely helpful.I was glad that I had booked a dive master, Mike, for us - my navigation/directional skills are as bad underwater as they are on the surface, so I could just relax and be sure he would get us back without me trying to memorized every coral head. Saw skates, lobster, puffers - great day!

1  Thank Lystrata
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The staff was attentive and entertaining. I did 4 dives with their group. No dives great than 35 feet. The reefs are full of fish, saw a turtle and barracuda. This is a 5 star PADI dive center. They do pair you up with another diver. There is no guide unless you charter one. My only story is this and this is why I will go back. On the second day I dove I got really sea sick. The winds were 16-17 knots and waves were 2-4 feet. The current underneath was not helpful either. I did two dives that day. It took everything I had to not puke underwater. When I puked on the boat and over the boat, the captain did not get mad. He got me on the boat, helped pull my gear off and told me stories of how he still got sea sick and every one still gets sea sick and how it was no big deal and to still try and have fun. He was really encouraging and supportive. I believe he was Captain Dave, skinny tan guy with a great sense of humor. You can't buy that attitude, its inherent. Abyss dive shop keeps a small group, and takes safety seriously. Great bunch!

3  Thank Max878
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Overall we had a pretty good experience with Abyss. The people in the shop were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The boat was in great condition and very roomy for a six-pack. We are new divers and it was our first trip to the keys so we hired a dive guide as well. Felt the guide could have followed our replies to his questions much better [ we indicated we were more interested in seeing marine life than covering a lot of territory] as before long on the dive we were moving very quickly and not looking for fish,etc. We were going to try Abyss again[ with a different guide], but the weather didn't cooperate. If we get a chance to go there again we will give them another try.

1  Thank Jim C