“I can't wait to go back!!!”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed May 28, 2006

I read some of the reviews about Banana Bay on this site and was of two minds on staying there but I figured I'd give it a chance.

We arrived early and our room was ready so we were allowed to check in early. Our room was gorgeous, much nicer than expected...we even had a canopy bed! I read over and over again that they had had hurricane damage but I did not see any.

All of the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The rooms do not have safes but they have one at the front desk, all you have to do is ask.

The pool was very large and kept very clean and was never very crowded. The beach at the resort was very small and disappointing, but we were not planning on spending much time there anyway.

All in all this was a terrific place to stay and I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank ShayB27
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed May 7, 2006

Stayed at Banana Bay in Marathon for a couple of nights after three nights at the beautiful Paradise Inn in Key West. Room was dingy and needed redecorating; bugs in the shower; sheets were dirty. There appeared to be no security or system to prevent non-guests from walking into the building housing the rooms, particularly at night after reception closes, and rooms had no safe. The staff seemed nice but the place felt kind of depressed. I can obviously understand if they are recovering from hurricane damage, and was prepared for that, but it doesn't explain the unpleasant, indifferently cleaned and overpriced room, the fact I didn't feel completely secure there, or the inconsiderately loud banging vacuuming of stairs right outside the room at 7am! I wasn't happy there and sadly it diminished my enjoyment of my last couple of days in the beautiful Keys.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank MNNY
Reviewed April 27, 2006

This Banana Bay resort was slightly better than the one they have in Key West. At least this one in Marathon Key has a pool bar! The restaurant was awful. Rooms were slightly better than OK, about the only thing going for this resort really. They blamed Hurricane Wilma for everything but no other resort seemed to have facilities as bad as this one. The only good thing going for it was the Hurricane Bar next door which served the best food in Marathon and bands were pretty good as well! There was also an excellent dive centre next door.

4  Thank Debbie G
Baltimore
Reviewed February 11, 2006

To start with the positive, the rooms were clean and nicely furnished, and the continental b-fast good. However, the information provided on the Banana Bay website is out of date -- Hurricane Wilma devastated the dock area, including the beach side Tiki Bar. In addition, the "garden view" rooms include many that overlook a parking lot -- nicely landscaped, but still a parking lot. The pool side bar was advertised to close at sunset but didn't stay open that late. And the restaurant was not open for lunch or dinner. So, several advertised amenities were lacking.

• Stayed: February 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed February 11, 2006

After a warning at check-in that the grounds weren't all they used to be due to Hurricane Wilma, we still loved it! The room was very pretty, with a comfortable bed, and a private balcony looking out to the marina. Damage from the hurricane was quite evident, but didn't take away from our stay at all.

The poolside staff was so friendly. We spent two afternoons sitting poolside, sipping drinks, watching football, and chatting with the staff. They gave us great recommendations for dinner and late night snacks, tips for local driving off the main roads, and great conversation.

Our stay in Marathon was a break before heading to Key West from Ft. Lauderdale, but next trip there, we're staying our entire time at Banana Bay.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NE PA
Reviewed February 4, 2006

My husband and I honeymooned here in 2003. We met a great couple who got married at Banana Bay. I wish we did the same thing. It was very peaceful and relaxing after our chaos for the wedding. We were close to the Aquarium and lots of resturants. The food was delicious at the resturant. Breakfast was always fresh. We had a cozy, clean room. We had the pool and the gulf all to ourselves most days. The sunset was beautiful from the tiki bar and the entertainment was great (lots of J Buffett). We enjoyed talking to the fisherman at the marina. They taught me how to filet fish properly. The pictures I have are memorable and I look at them a lot. We now have a daughter and it's a great family stay as well. The staff is very nice and personalable. Will stay here again and again!!!

• Stayed: May 2003
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2006

After leaving our 3 night stay at Banana bay, the hotel left me without much feeling. I didnt really dislike or like it, it was simply an average resort in the Keys. The check-in process was very easy, but they refused to upgrade me even though there were plenty of rooms available. In fact she was kinda snippy about it, as if to say " how dare you ask for an upgrade?". The rooms was large, but our non-smoking room reaked of smoke. Other then that the rooms were clean but somewhat bland. The view from our balcony was almost non-existent, it looked right into some trees and then into the parking lot. The pool was OK, it had a nice little bar area with friendly bartenders and some decent poolside snacks. The breakfast buffet was a real downer and truley laughable. Dont expect any kind of meal at all. They have a man made beach which isnt really a beach, more like a rocks with a cutout sitting area. They did tell you that before you came though, I just thought it would be a litte nicer then it was. I did like the tiki bar down near the water, it was a fun place to have some drinks at the end of the day and watch a sunset. All in all the Banana Bay Resort is fine for most people, the prices are reasonable. Just dont go expecting luxury anything like that of a Hyatt or Sherton. If you keep that in mind you will probably be somewhat pleased with this resort.

• Stayed: February 2005
7  Thank icem2829
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!