“Good Lower Keys Base”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed April 9, 2009

The second time for us, this is a nice place to crash out on the Keys and you can still spend a day at Key West, but do stay for the sunset show.
Although not new and pristine its a good balance between the cheap and pricey, and you get a light breakfast. The site is quite large with loads of parking and a small marina, the pool is huge, sheltered, heated (after Christmas I think) and quiet, being well away from the road.
Half the 'garden' rooms are by the road and may be a bit noisy for some.

There are good value eats at the bar but there are so many other options around we only ate in once. Next door Hurricane bar and the Dockside, less than a mile away, have food and entertainment. They have a good guide to local restaurants at the desk.. No real beach as such but if you want swim at Sombrero Beach of Bahia Honda.
Staff very helpful with net access when our flights were canx due weather, had to stay 2 more days.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2009

I made our reservation from looking at the website. I was promised a beautiful garden view (room 103). What a dump! I counted six empty ice bags several plasitc cups along with other garbage and not a single flower. There was only one variety of plants called a palm tree....how exotic!! Our view was the Overseas Highway along with several signs. I understand that some rooms must face the road but don't lie and brag about the beautiful garden view.
Absolutely no cold air came out of the A/C unit. It was a hot and sticky night with no sleep at all. Very up setting because my husband is a pilot and had to fly us home the next morning.
The corridor to our room smelled like dirty diapers.
So many people that attended the wedding checked out of Banana Bay asap and checked into the resort where the wedding was performed. Banana Bay was one of the topics at the wedding...What a dump....Nothing about this place resembled a resort. Thank goodness we stayed for only one night. Every employee was rude except the bartender.
When we arrived they couldn't find our reservation because our name was spelled wrong. Our name is so simple we don't even have to spell it when we tell it. They never could get it right..all six letters. When I made the reservation they said they honor AAA discounts. We were denied the discount at checkout. Totally disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I accidentally commented on the Key West one, when we actually stayed at the Marathon one. I copied and pasted my review here:

After reading all the reviews and looked at tons of pictures of this hotel, I was a little skeptical, but I fell in love with this place!!! My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend for one night (3/20/09) and were very happy. If you go to their website, you'll notice that there aren't really any pictures of the front or outside of the hotel- that's because it's not that impressive (I didn't expect much). All of the pictures are of the outside of the hotel (marina and pool), or the rooms which were all VERY nice! I mean, that's really all that matters, right? They could do some work on the front/outside of the hotel. When you drive up, you might think it's not gonna be great, but trust me, it is!! If you go there and don't expect to have a 5 star resort, you'll be happy with it. Once you get to the back of the hotel, there is a lot of shrubbery that give it a really tropical feel to it. The pool is super nice and so is the marina. The rooms have a great, tropical feel to them and the beds are really comfortable. Some of the cons: continental breakfast not anything great (typical cereal, muffins and donuts) and the jacuzzi reeked of clorine (but we still spent 20 minutes in it, so it wasn't unbearable). I would definitely go back to this hotel (and I wanted to after leaving)!! Definitely stay here and you won't regret it!!

P.S. The bed bugs posts are NOT true! I didn't have any bug bites when I woke up. :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I couldn't believe it when we walked into the place. I had high expectations from the photos on their website and we were in for a shock. What a dump! Our rooms were filthy. The "beach" is a joke (15 foot long piece of sand next to garbage). Upon checking out we asked for some compensation because we felt we overpaid. The website is deceptive we said. The receptionist said, "too bad. I didn't make the website." I said we want to make it fair. Give us a break and we'll chaulk it up to a learning experience. She refused. We said we'd write an accurate but critical review. She said, "Go ahead. No one reads those anyways". So - be forewarned. This nice website of theirs is nothing like the place in reality. Filthy rooms - and ridiculous beach. The people who wrote positive reviews must work for the place.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RCCassanova
Reviewed February 20, 2009

This was the first time I have questionned the benefits of being a trip avisor memeber-the reviews I read were so positive-it was the few negative reviews that I dismissed, but found to be the most accurate-this is NOT a resort by any stretch of the imagination-I found it overpriced-breakfast was almost non existent one morning-there is no excuse for a place to not have basics out for breakfast(coffee, etc...)We had a clock in our room that didn't work and almost messed us up with getting out for an early morning snorkeling trip. The room had a very musty odor in it. The man at the front desk was the only positive-he was extremely helpful with suggestions for places to have nice dinners out. I will not be back though.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelinGal45
Reviewed February 18, 2009

we did have a good time but....... stinky . moldy. very small beach . ha ha on the snorkling - not . room not ready on time.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beloveddak
Reviewed February 13, 2009

We stayed at the Banana Bay for a couple of days. We liked the place as it had a relaxed feel about it.. The pool and garden area helped with this. The pool was heated and not crowded at all - we had a relaxing afternoon in the sun by its side. We did not see a lot of the staff but the continental breakfast was typical of any hotel in Florida. The room was clean, if a little dated and the location was perfect for touring the middle Keys. Glad we booked here and would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
#11 of 16 in Marathon
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!