“Paradise in the Keys”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Banana Bay many times and loved it! Love the Hawian lady who helped us get a great room for our anniversary last year. Took a drive to Key, had dinner and then went back to peace and quiet.

The Hadley's

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side at the back have a Gulf view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for your repeat business and for taking the time to review Banana Bay Resort. Banana Bay employees strive to go a step beyond to make sure your stay is enjoyable and to meet your expectations. Banana Bay is located in the perfect spot to experience the best of the Keys, such as, dinner in Key West and peace and quiet. We hope that you will return and take advantage of this location again.
Thanks, Gary

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place must have been killer when Sean Connery was James Bond. It appears not to have been updated since then. The rooms were very dated, beds uncomfortable, tennis courts overgrown, and it was still expensive at $135 a night, but it was between Christmas and New Years and I had no choice. The rooms are king beds only, so make sure that you are aware.

The one nice thing it had going for it was the pool tiki bar, where we spent a nice evening drinking wine we brought in from outside.

Room Tip: I don't think one room is any better than the others.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. We appreciate your awareness of the 1950’s charm that is part of Banana Bay Resort; however, I am sorry that you found your accommodations less than you expected. We take all comments seriously and have addressed your concerns. To clarify, we have both rooms with king beds and 2 double beds, I am sorry if you did not receive that information. We try to make your experience a good one and we hope that you might try us again next year.
Thnks, Gary

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I kind of got the impression that Banana Bay was a really nice place at one point and has just been allowed to deteriorate. The very front is cool in a funky, roadside old America kind of way. The lobby and all that. The front desk ladies were polite, but not overly friendly. It looks like there are buildings there from different eras. Maybe the original building that goes along with the main building, and then there are other buildings of rooms as you go toward the back of the property. We stayed in the hotel building by the pool area. It looked to have been built in the early '80s (?). The carpet, fixtures, furniture, wall decorations…everything seemed like it hadn't moved since CHiPs and the Dukes of Hazzard were on TV in 1980. Which wouldn't be a problem, except it wasn't even remotely clean and looked like the building hadn't been maintained since that time, either. The carpet in our room and in the halls seemed to be just saturated with moisture. They looked really old and were kind of tacky as you walk across. The bathroom in our room appeared to have not been actually cleaned in a long time. The bed was made and there were fresh towels, but nothing looked like it had been wiped down. And none of the floors in our room appeared to have been swept or mopped anytime recently. There also wasn't any coffee anywhere that we could tell. If there's no coffee maker in the rooms then there should be coffee in the lobby. Nothing. And when I asked the desk ladies neither one of them even looked up from their computers and just shrugged. Strange.

On the bright side, the grounds were quiet and the buildings toward the back are far enough from the road that you don't hear the traffic out there. The pool area was really large and actually much nicer than anyone would expect at an independent motel. It looked like a resort pool. There was a tiki bar there, but we didn't visit so we're not even sure if it was open or what the hours are there. We didn't see anyone go in there. Parking at our building was easy. And the price wasn't bad.

My wife thought the place had a lot of potential, but it seems neglected. There were lots of foreign guests while we were there, so maybe they'll just keep pouring through and have different standards or expectation. I don't know. In that case, maybe it doesn't make any financial sense for the owners to spend the money to maintain and clean the property the way it should. But it's a shame. My "average" rating is a little generous, but I'll stick with that based on the price and location.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sean-Indy
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Banana Bay Resort. We take every review seriously and discuss with our staff any concerns that arose during your visit. Although Banana Bay is not a new and modern hotel we do work hard to keep the rooms clean on a daily basis. I am sorry that they were done to your liking but housekeeping was made aware of your displeasure. We are also sorry that you were unable to locate the coffee maker that is located in each of our rooms. If you would like to call and tell us which room you stayed in we will be able to make sure that the coffee maker was not removed or relocated from this room.
I am glad that you enjoyed the quiet that our hotel surroundings provide and also the large pool which is present on the premises. We hope that you might visit again and see what changes we make to improve our guests stay.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I started to feel uneasy while we were checking in. Looking at the building directly across from the lobby, it appeared to be in a major state of disrepair. I tried to remain optimistic, assuming it was a building that wasn't in use anymore or was a maintenance shed. No such luck - it was the building we were staying in!

We walked into the room and were hit by a nasty smell. I thought it was cigarette smoke; my husband thought it was pine oil. Either way, it was gross.

The furnishings obviously hadn't been updated since the 80s or 90s, which would be fine if the room was at least well-maintained. But the bedspread smelled like it hadn't been washed since the 80s or 90s either. The towel rack in the bathroom was rusty, and the wallpaper was peeling in the shower.

Speaking of which, there was hardly any water pressure, but the shower didn't drain either - so you had to stand in a lake while taking forever to rinse off.

It was hard to get comfortable at night, not knowing what was on the bedspread we were sleeping under and not feeling comfortable pulling it up anywhere near our faces. The extremely loud air conditioner didn't help the sleeping conditions either.

Our first morning, the housekeeping staff took our used towels away but didn't give us any fresh towels, so my husband went to the lobby and asked for a fresh hand towel. The clerk asked, "Don't you have one in your room?" My husband told him it had fallen on the floor and "my wife wants a clean one." The clerk said, "My wife would just shake it out and re-use it." I don't know if he was joking, but regardless - if a guest asks for a hand towel, just give him a hand towel. Don't give him the third degree!

Oh, and back to the building itself - the side door (the closest door on the entire property to Overseas Highway) was propped open with an old board. For ventilation, I guess? But it didn't make me feel too safe or secure.

All in all, I've never been so happy to check out of a place in my life!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review Banana Bay Resort and Marina. We appreciate any comments that you make that might help us to improve our facilities. I am sorry to read that your experience was less than what you had expected and that you felt as if you were not safe and secure. I assure you that all your suggestions are taken seriously and have been discussed with the appropriate individuals to help rectify these situations. Please accept our apologies for your less than happy experience at our Resort. It is my hope that one day you return and give us the chance to improve your opinion of Banana Bay Resort and Marina.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We likely would never have discovered Banana Bay if our boat had not broken down in the Gulf of Mexico and Boat US towed us to this resort, which made space for our boat. How fortunate for us! Walking distance to a great beach and a grocery store, and more importantly the staff at the marina and at the hotel office were outstanding. We were privileged to witness a waterside wedding and the following day I met the bride and groom at the pool and gave them photos I took from across the small lagoon of she and her Dad arriving by boat. She was thrilled! While there we heard, but did not confirm, that the property had a new owner who would be making some updates. Meantime, the marina manager went out of his way to drive his pickup to work one day so he could give us a ride to where we could fill a fuel can to ensure we could get where we needed to go. The Tiki bar still had Lisa, but we knew she might not stay on much longer due to personal reasons. Now we are planning on selling our boat, and we plan to spend our winters in FL...I am sure we will be staying in this facility.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
We are very pleased that we had the opportunity to serve you in your time of need. I am glad you found our Marina, staff and your experience to be one that made a less than perfect situation enjoyable. We hope that you will be able to come back again and take advantage of any new updates that will be occurring at our Resort in the future. We wish you the best while spending your winters in our Florida sunshine.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My son and I spent just one night at Banana Bay so didn't have time to use the facilities much.
Our room was a little "tired and dated" but clean and spacious. The beds were a bit soft but not terrible. The pool area is great - plenty of room for laps but, yes, it could have been cleaner. The receptionist was friendly and welcoming. You get what you pay for and the price was right.
I was kicking myself for spending the extra $20 on the marina view room until I spent a very pleasant hour reading and drinking coffee (free in the room) while my son slept. Over all, a decent spot. I would return if I were passing through again. We had lunch at the Hurricane next door - take your kids there for the great lego diorama. The waitress was great and the food was good and cheap. We had breakfast at the Wooden spoon (about a mile north) and it was excellent.

Room Tip: Spend the extra to get a marina-view or at least be away from the traffic noise. It makes all the d...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review Banana Bay Resort and Marina. I am glad to read that you were pleased that the great view of the Gulf of Mexico was worth spending a little extra. Our property provides a lovely tropical atmosphere to read and enjoy swimming in the large pool. We work very hard to ensure that our guests experience a clean room and a quiet time no matter if you stay one day or many. I am also pleased to read that you found the local restaurants were suitable for your needs. Once again, thank you for staying at Banana Bay and we hope that you will visit us again one day.
Thanks,
Gary

Reviewed January 6, 2014

we stayed here two nights,the room was ok but you really don't spend time in it except to sleep so it was acceptable. the pool area and tiki bar was beautiful and relaxing and we loved meeting lisa the bartender,what a sweet heart. its definitely worth the stay..priced quiet reasonably and the view of the gulf is priceless! kenny and renee

Room Tip: worth the stay if your not looking for a 5 star hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kenny and Renee,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments about your stay at Banana Bay Resort and Marina. I am delighted that you found your stay comfortable and relaxing. We endeavor to assure our guests have a pleasant time and enjoy the lovely view that we offer from our property. We hope that you will return to stay with us again one day.

Gary

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!