“I think Cocoon was filmed here”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Boise, Idaho
“I think Cocoon was filmed here”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place was OK. It's one of the more affordable places in town, was right next to a great dive shop. The rooms weren't great and do need to be updated, but the property is well maintained, the pool is huge and the marina had a nice BBQ area where we had dinner a couple of times.

However, I'm not sure if it was the time of year we were here (early Feb.) or what, but this place felt like a retirement community. I'm almost 40 and I was easily 30 years younger than anyone else staying here. Having retired people in the keys is not an odd thing by any means, but this was eerie. It was like staying at my grandma's house on vacation. We only stayed here for 2 nights, but that was too long.

Room Tip: The rooms down by the marina seemed newer/nicer, but I think they might have been condos and may not...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary R, General Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Banana Bay provides a location and attitude perfect for a quiet relaxing get away. In many instances this feature attracts a more mature clientele especially during the peak of our tourist season. I am glad that you found the place affordable and conveniently located to a shop that was able to meet your diving needs. We thank you for taking the time to give us your review on our resort. We hope that you will return when you would like to have a relaxing vacation time

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I have been to Banana Bay many times and "love" it. We love to snorkel and you can do that from right in the back of the marina. We usually stay a week at a time and have had three trips so far. Matter of fact, we are returning for another week in July, just in time for the mini lobster season. We rent bicycles for the whole week and ride along Overseas Highway down to Porky's to eat and listen to music in the evening. We also BBQ filets in the back of the resort where they have pits you can use. It's not the most luxurious place to stay, but when you just want to relax and snorkel and kick back by the pool, it's awesome!

Room Tip: Try to always get a balcony room that overlooks the pool & hot tub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie,
Thank you for your kind words about our resort. I am glad that you find our hotel meets your vacation needs. The staff works very hard to try to make each guest experience a positive one. We appreciate your visits to our resort and we look forward to your return.

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Resort? Really!!!!! What part of this property spells resort? Extra fees for resort are laughable. Our room was average, the hallway was filthy, never swept while we were there although it obviously needed it, only one wash cloth ( both days), Tiki Bar only serves hot dogs and beer (at night), no restaurant. Pool was nice although in need of some repairs and it was a good location for other restaurants etc and its pet friendly, but we will not be staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CJGMP
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our resort. We are working very hard to try to maintain the premises and provide those items that our guests might need. We will be using your comments to reevaluate those needs at Banana Bay and I have been discussing your concerns with Housekeeping and Maintenance. I am glad that you found our pool, location and pet friendliness to be beneficial amenities. Banana Bay is located in the “heart” of the Keys which allows our guests the convenience of being within easy driving distance to many attractions. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our resort in the future

Manager

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hello my Dragon Boat team Jax Fire Dragons along with other Dragon Boat teams & High Five staff stayed here this past weekend. I luv how we were greeted and a sweet touch for the "Welcome Dragon Boat Paddlers & staff" sign in the lobby. My party stayed in the double bed rooms bldg near front of the resort. The bldg was nice however the hallway smell like yucky cigarettes. Our room was clean,A/C worked very well and hot water heated well when we needed. Pool & hot tub was fantastic after a long day of Dragon Boating. Only problem we had was when we "tried" to check out Mon @ 6am. No one at desk & we could hear an alarm sounding inside lobby area. I called the # on outside lobby door. A just woke up employee (a guy) told me to leave the keys. He didnt say where and since no slot at lobby door I assumed he meant my room.My party & I both felt uncomfortable with that. If we would known that there would be no lobby attendant early Mon we would paid out the previous day. We would of liking to get a receipt then be surprise with Hotel balance on our credit cards. Except for that we had a nice stay :)

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,
I am glad to hear that we were able to provide the Dragonboat racers with a place to stay and enjoy a relaxing time at the pool and hot tub. The Front Desk staff strives to make every guest feel welcomed upon their arrival and we appreciate your time spent with us. We thank you for your feedback on the hallway and we have approached our housekeeping and maintenance staff which is now working on your concern. We are sorry that you were not informed about the procedure for checking out before our office opens at 7am. If you would like a receipt for your stay, please call us at 305-743-3500 and we will be glad to send one to you. Once again we thank you for your patronage and we hope that you and the other Dragonboat racers have a successful year.

New Market, Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful grounds with lush landscaping. Nice pool. Room was very spacious and comfortable. A plus is the shower facilities for marina guests. No problem for us to check out at 6 am to go fishing and then return and shower before heading to the airport. I wouldn't compare this to a high end resort but for the area I think it is an above average choice.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights here and it was not worth the money. Our room was musty, the beds were ok, the AC was extremely loud and metal parts stuck out of the bed which my partner unfortunately caught and cut her leg. The pool was relatively nice and the pool bar was cool but again this needs to be updated and given some TLC. The breakfast was good and you could make your own waffles which was good. Overall this place was not worth the money and I would not be going back here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eldodgemous
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
To avoid any confusion over this guest’s comments, we would like to clarify that our Restaurant has been closed and we do not offer breakfast at our hotel. This may be an indication that this guest did not stay at our location.
Murrells Inlet
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is the Florida Keys! If you want a 5 star hotel, go to Miami. This place was great. We came down to dive for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. I did find a scorpion in my room, but I don't believe it was planted there by the staff. I scooped it up with a piece of paper and released it outside. This is exactly what we expected having been to the Keys several times. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room was cleaned daily. Our bed was very comfortable. The pool area is very nice and the pool itself is huge. We sat on our private balcony in the evenings and felt the ocean breeze. Hemmingway would have loved this place. For atmosphere and comfort, I give it a 10. Hwy 1 is just a few feet away, but it feels very secluded behind the palms. The furniture is old, but that only adds to the charm. We wanted away from the stainless steel and white carpet. That's why we come to the Keys.

Room Tip: Ask for room 121. Excellent king bed and the balcony is very secluded and private.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dallas M
Dear DM,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay at Banana Bay. I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. The staff works very hard to help every guest have a positive experience. Our resort takes pride in offering our guests the use of a large, beautiful pool where they can relax and enjoy the great Florida Keys atmosphere. Our property is one of the few hotels in the area which maintains a landscape of lush tropical foliage and we are pleased that you found that this enhanced your stay.
We appreciate your comments and hope that you will return again soon.

Thanks,
Gary R.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#11 of 17 in Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!