“DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel was overpriced. The rooms were old and dirty. Dust everywhere, musty moldy smell, bathroom had dirt all over the floor. The bed my friend and I slept on caved in the middle it was like staying in a hospital bed. I woke up with some Red Itchy Rash all over my arm from sleeping in that bed. I find that highly disgusting that the place was so dirty that I wound up with some sort of dermatitis!

Then this so called 'resort' charged us an $8 dollar fee for absolutely nothing? I asked for a Waterview room and the room they gave me had a view of the horse shoe pit and trees. They had the audacity to charge us almost $220 dollars a night for this room when it shouldn't cost more than $25 dollars!

I travel a lot and have been in many hotel rooms and this by far is one of the worse ones I have stayed in.

Word of advice DO NOT stay in this hotel aka motel! The pictures on their website are deceiving, the hotel does not look like this at all! I would like to know when and where these pictures were taking because its run down and needs major updating!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Betty816
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Betty,
We appreciate your taking the time to express your opinions about those areas that you were not pleased with during your stay. We are sorry that you did not have a positive experience since we strive to make every guest comfortable. The Housekeeping and Maintenance staff works very hard to keep the rooms and furniture in good shape. If you would like to provide us with the room number and the time of your stay we would like to look into your concerns further.

Gary R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Sunapee NH
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Weather was too cool to try the pool and the wind was fierce on the bay. Still it wasn't much of a resort. The staff was rather indifferent both on check in and check out, but effecient. Everything looked a bit dated and overrgrown. On the whole, just an average place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and we are sorry that the weather was less than perfect for your stay. We are looking into ways that will help us to improve the resort and your comments are welcome. Our Front Desk staff works hard to try to make every guest welcome and appreciated. We apologize for not living up to your expectations. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a much better experience.
Pleasant Hill, Ia, Usa
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, the pool and hot tub was clean and nice. The staff was great, check in was easy. Our room was pretty clean, beds were spotless, yes, there was a stain or two on the carpet, but it had been cleaned. A little spot on the carpet certainly doesn't earn this place a negative review!
There really isn't exactly a beach, but that was okay, there was spots for fishing, plenty of beautiful places to watch the sunset from.
The price was great, the pool was wonderful, the room was clean, and the staff was good! I'd definitely stay here again!
You can tell the place is being fixed up and they're doing a great job.
I read a lot of reviews about places in the Keys because I had never been there, and MANY of the "resorts" down there are older and in need of some work, in fact, I didn't see many 5 star places at all. But, for the record, I stayed at a 5 star place in Miami and it was AWFUL! I'd take Banana Bay 10 times over that place!
Thanks guys!

Dear Guest,
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our grounds and your stay. Our Housekeeping, Maintenance and Landscapers work hard to try to keep the place clean and looking well tended. Our Front Desk staff strives to make every guest welcome upon their arrival and appreciated on their departure. We are currently looking into ways that will improve our property and the carpeting is on our list.
The Florida Keys has some outstanding sunsets and we are proud to be one of the best locations to view them in the spring and summer. We are pleased that you took advantage of this area to view the sunset and to do a little fishing from our seawall.
Thank you and we hope to have you stay with us again,
Olney, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had originally decided on another hotel at Marathon based on Trip Adverisor reviews, but the Visitor Center in Key Largo was pushing Banana Bay, and they told us it had a beach. The other couple with us thought the beach sounded good so I went against the bad Trip Advisor review and booked Banana Bay. Mistake! The property is kind of a jungle setting with lots of palms and flowering plants with several different units disbursed over the small acreage. The pool area looked nice (even though we did not have time to use it). Unfortunately, the buildings are older and in need of maintenance. They just appear run down. When we entered the building where our room was located it smelled of mold. Our room had a small balcony over looking the parking lot, but the room itself had peeling walpaper and paint, The beds were very old and bouncy, but I woke up feeling ok. At the end of the resort there is a marina. When someone tells me they have a beach, I expect slopping land that going into the water. Banana Bay has a sea wall with sand. There was no walking along the beach here! I was very disappointed in this aspect, but the Visitor Center is at fault here. With a little TLC this place could be a great location, but until then listen to the reviews.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms first.
1 Thank Bim59

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Garfield Heights Oh
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Georgious folliage. We are staying on our trailerable boat we brought down from Cleveland Ohio with our motorcycle and other toys in tow. The Marina is excellent and our hats off to Larry the dockmaster who went way above and beyond. Great pool, tennis courts laundy nice private bathrooms with showers, Nice docks, good, no no, great view of a small island offshore and great beach access. Very friendly people. I left my boat and my wife and cousin and had to come back to work. They are there for a whole month. Very impressed. And I shall return to get them. WI fi and Cable tv in the Marina at every dock,water electric and pumpouts. The dock house even provides dry towels durring the day. Grounds are well kept up to my standards. Now once again I am in my own boat not a room but they have balconeys and look great from the outside like the garden of Eden. and I see groundskeepers every day working. I would guess if what they say here is true the clientelle must be the ones trashing the rooms. Mold? this is a wet damp Lush tropical motif. If you want a high rise with room service stay in Miami or Ft Lauderdale at the Hilton. The people I talked to at the pool all said they were happy. Im sorry Thurston Powell III was unsatisfied. Im middle class working American and I saw a few million dollar yachts and they said they were happy and came they come back year after year. The keys has its own attitude, (Conch Republic) This is not Hilton Head.

Room Tip: Dont over expect on the room. But expect grounds pool sauna courts and flora and fauna.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place definitely needs thorough cleaning and updates, given the pricey rental rate ($153/night). Our room was very musty, the carpets were nasty, and the bed was very uncomfortable. The people working the check-in/check-out desk were rude and unhelpful when asking about the surrounding area. The one positive about this place was the pool and hot area--they were very nice and did not seem to fit in with the rest of the place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CCMcDonald
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Let's allow my photos to speak for this unreasonably priced disaster of a hotel ($152 per night). Close the place down, clean out the mold, vacuum every surface of the room, replace all the carpeting, clean the air conditioning filters, replace the wall paper. In any place but the keys, this room would not fetch $25 per night.

2 Thank SunnyinChagrin
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay at Banana Bay Resort & Marina. I do appreciate you identifying areas for improvement. We are moving swiftly to remedy the housekeeping and maintenance issues you outlined. We are in the process of Deep Clean of all our units including steam cleaning the carpets, and thoroughly cleaning the air conditioning filters.

Please accept my apologies and thank you for the opportunity to improve our offering.

Gary
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#11 of 17 in Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!