“Listen to the Trip Advisor Reviews”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Olney, Illinois, United States
“Listen to the Trip Advisor Reviews”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had originally decided on another hotel at Marathon based on Trip Adverisor reviews, but the Visitor Center in Key Largo was pushing Banana Bay, and they told us it had a beach. The other couple with us thought the beach sounded good so I went against the bad Trip Advisor review and booked Banana Bay. Mistake! The property is kind of a jungle setting with lots of palms and flowering plants with several different units disbursed over the small acreage. The pool area looked nice (even though we did not have time to use it). Unfortunately, the buildings are older and in need of maintenance. They just appear run down. When we entered the building where our room was located it smelled of mold. Our room had a small balcony over looking the parking lot, but the room itself had peeling walpaper and paint, The beds were very old and bouncy, but I woke up feeling ok. At the end of the resort there is a marina. When someone tells me they have a beach, I expect slopping land that going into the water. Banana Bay has a sea wall with sand. There was no walking along the beach here! I was very disappointed in this aspect, but the Visitor Center is at fault here. With a little TLC this place could be a great location, but until then listen to the reviews.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms first.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bim59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Garfield Heights Oh
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Georgious folliage. We are staying on our trailerable boat we brought down from Cleveland Ohio with our motorcycle and other toys in tow. The Marina is excellent and our hats off to Larry the dockmaster who went way above and beyond. Great pool, tennis courts laundy nice private bathrooms with showers, Nice docks, good, no no, great view of a small island offshore and great beach access. Very friendly people. I left my boat and my wife and cousin and had to come back to work. They are there for a whole month. Very impressed. And I shall return to get them. WI fi and Cable tv in the Marina at every dock,water electric and pumpouts. The dock house even provides dry towels durring the day. Grounds are well kept up to my standards. Now once again I am in my own boat not a room but they have balconeys and look great from the outside like the garden of Eden. and I see groundskeepers every day working. I would guess if what they say here is true the clientelle must be the ones trashing the rooms. Mold? this is a wet damp Lush tropical motif. If you want a high rise with room service stay in Miami or Ft Lauderdale at the Hilton. The people I talked to at the pool all said they were happy. Im sorry Thurston Powell III was unsatisfied. Im middle class working American and I saw a few million dollar yachts and they said they were happy and came they come back year after year. The keys has its own attitude, (Conch Republic) This is not Hilton Head.

Room Tip: Dont over expect on the room. But expect grounds pool sauna courts and flora and fauna.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place definitely needs thorough cleaning and updates, given the pricey rental rate ($153/night). Our room was very musty, the carpets were nasty, and the bed was very uncomfortable. The people working the check-in/check-out desk were rude and unhelpful when asking about the surrounding area. The one positive about this place was the pool and hot area--they were very nice and did not seem to fit in with the rest of the place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CCMcDonald

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Let's allow my photos to speak for this unreasonably priced disaster of a hotel ($152 per night). Close the place down, clean out the mold, vacuum every surface of the room, replace all the carpeting, clean the air conditioning filters, replace the wall paper. In any place but the keys, this room would not fetch $25 per night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SunnyinChagrin
Gary R, Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay at Banana Bay Resort & Marina. I do appreciate you identifying areas for improvement. We are moving swiftly to remedy the housekeeping and maintenance issues you outlined. We are in the process of Deep Clean of all our units including steam cleaning the carpets, and thoroughly cleaning the air conditioning filters.

Please accept my apologies and thank you for the opportunity to improve our offering.

Gary
Resort Manager
Huercal-Overa, Spain
Reviewed March 2, 2013

When we first arrived at the Banana Bay on 27th Feb ( for 3 nights) we thought it looked nice & quaint, & the room looked fairly good in the half light, but when we put the lights on we could see the badly stained carpets & the tired look of the room, but the beds were clean & comfortable. We went for a walk around the grounds & again very tired & uncared for, I'm sure in its day it was lovely, we saw the pool & spa but the weather wasn't so good so didn't get to use it, talking to a man in the spa however,he told us that that the hotel was now owned by the Bank after the lady owner died & no money had been spent on it for years & that the restaurant had been closed for 2 years & the Tiki bar beside the pool was now closed. Sun beds etc looked old & tired. The balcony of our room had 2 old dirty chairs on it, & the small view we had of the garden outside was all overgrown & unkempt. Then I found I couldn't lock the baloney door again, upon reporting it, there was a bar found behind the curtain to place against the door so it couldn't be opened. I knew the hotel was fully booked that night so it was no use asking for another room, we asked if there was a safety deposit box anywhere in reception, but was told no, so we felt we had to take our money & passports out with us at all times. As its on the main road, & hasn't got double glazing, we found it very noisy with the traffic quite early, but this was helped by the air conditioning being very loud, so that lessened it a bit.
I'm afraid I would definitely not recommend or use this hotel again unless it had a big refurb done, I believe the hotel has 61 rooms & if full most nights, paying as we did just over a 150 dollars a night, that's over 9 thousand dollars a night earned, so I feel that the "Bank" could spend a little bit more on tidying up its hotel & gardens. As I said before, I'm sure when it was loved by its owner & looked after it must have been just lovely. By the way, there is a great bar next door called the Hurricane, good food & service & I believe live music every night, worth a visit.

Room Tip: If you can ask for a room not on the main road, there a some at the back of the swimming pool, we h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed March 1, 2013

What a shame it is for this potentially gorgeous resort! The rumor is that the resort is owned by the bank and has been for quite some time, which means no attention is being given to the grounds and buildings...and they are basically just "existing". I stayed here from February 24-27, 2013 (3 nights). Upon arrival, I was honestly disgusted at the sight of my room. There were so many stains on the rugs that I did not feel comfortable walking barefoot. I checked the beds for bedbugs and at least there weren't any. The beds are basic, nothing special...some small stains on the bed spreads. The bed frames are from the 1960's as-is all of the furniture. My room had sliding wooden blinds over the doors leading out to a balcony. The wooden blinds were so incredibly dirty, that you could see a very thick coating of dirt and dust on every square inch. My lamp didn't work (couldn't turn it on- it was rusted in the off position). Honestly, the only semi-decent part of the room was the bathroom, which was large, and a bit more updated. The bathroom was clean and the mirror on the wall actually looked somewhat on the newer side. Although, the shower head was rusted and falling out of the wall.
As for the grounds, I can't tell you how beautiful the surroundings are. There are little footpaths and you can walk out near the marina and there is a little beach with some chairs where you can just relax and listen to the waves gently lapping. It is really peaceful and nice. The pool is also very nice, although the restaurant and tiki bar are not open.
The maid service was ok, although one day the maid forgot to give me toilet paper and I had to call the front desk for it. I will say that they brought me some within 5 minutes, which was very nice.
Overall, I did feel safe here. I had three locks on my door. There were people around.... a few nights it was a bit noisy. Some of my travel companions in different rooms said they heard two men yelling all night long. I didn't hear that, but I did hear young and loud college-age woman yelling in the hallways at about 2 am.
The air-conditioning worked very well and there was a ceiling fan.
The room smelled EXTREMELY MUSTY (and so do all of my belongings upon my return home).
There was a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room which worked well.

That about summarizes my stay. I wanted to be completely honest....I would not recommend this place unless you are perhaps desperate for a room to stay, or you simply don't mind dirt and must and dust. I hope someone can buy this property and really clean it up. It could be a complete GEM. I know some say that this is a very "Keys-ey" place.... I would say that it is, but that isn't an excuse for cleanliness. It could still be "Keys-ey" AND clean.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the Gulf/Marina side for a good view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
vero beach,fl
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Took my mom on a little getaway to Banana Bay...read the reviews and this place was in the budget. The hotel is a little run down but comfortable. Very friendly and laid back. The pool and hot tub area was very nice...and that is what we were looking for. Fun little bar The Hurricane (with GREAT food,outside bar and live music....we heard Ben Prestage who was a blast! ) was next door and that was a plus. I would return here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
#11 of 17 in Marathon
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!