“Quite Enjoyable”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
Delaware City, Delaware
“Quite Enjoyable”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Although I have read all of your reviews I actually had a very enjoyable time at Banana Bay Marathon. I stayed there for a couple of weeks during christmas and I am most definitely coming back. Yes the property is a little outdated, but for heaven's sake it's owned by the bank! It was built in the 1950's but I love it. The room we stayed in was great. Could it use some upgrades of course. But it has an old charm to it. The pool and hot tub were great. The pool was heated which was very nice. Unfortunately the tiki bar was not open but when we asked the staff about it they informed us of a death in their tiki bar staff. It saddened us to hear what happened. We understood why they had it closed down and it did not bother us one bit. The entire staff were very welcoming and extremely nice. Learned our names, waved to us as we drove by. Great place in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Madison, Indiana
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent one night in Banana bay when leaving the keys. Thought this would be an ok place but was I wrong. Room smelt musty, Carpets dirty, Refrigerator off, bathroom moldy, remote not working and batteries corroded, plus staff unconcerned when questions asked. If it wasnt so late we would have stayed elsewhere. Would never stay again. Bed uncomfortable and mattress old. Could not wait to leave. Sorry even took my suitcase in. Did not check with trip advisor on this one but will the next.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

we stayed at banana bay in september 2012 for 3 nights ,the room was very clean and comfortable, the staff are great ,shout out to dave who you see round the place , and noni who serves at the tiki bar.we enjoyed our stay very much and on returning home to the UK phoned and booked a return visit for xmas for which we were given a redused rate as a
reward for a 2nd visit.we arrived very late ,ie,0130am and the night guy was waiting for us with a smile.the xmas week we had the feeling that the resort had a dying feeling about it,the tiki bar only opened 1 night of the seven we were there and when i asked why ,i was told that the bar keeper was not well so the bar stayed shut,i like the place but don`t think i will return

Room Tip: 204 is a nice room
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed January 20, 2013

While traveling to this "resort", I looked it up on Tripadvisor and realized right away that we were in trouble. My wife had booked this through our travel agent and I should have looked it up earlier. This was the holiday high season and everything in the Keys south of Largo was booked up.
When we entered the room, our noses began to run immediately. The place smelled like a wet dog. The air conditioner was from the 1970's. The bathroom had not been cleaned. When I found the huge colony of Black Mold running up the wall by the head of the bed, we were out of there.
We went to the desk and told the lady that we would sleep in the rental car before we would go back in that room. She said they were booked, but after I was more insistent, she admitted that they keep a room open for emergency complaints such as ours.
The new room was a little cleaner, and had an air conditioner from the mid 1990's. It was late at this point so we called our travel agent and left them a message and went to sleep.
When we awoke, we both had sinus pain and a general bad feeling. In the light of day I noticed there were fresh blood stains on both sides of the pillow I was using, only I wasn't bleeding!
I have only been in one hotel in my life that was worse than the Banana Bay. We found out later from a boat captain that the place took five feet of water in the last hurricane and was never remodled! The desk lady was nice and apologetic and told us the place is owned by the Bank.
Our Agent found us a suite at the Blue Green Hammocks down the road and it was great.

Room Tip: All the rooms are mold pits.
Morrisburg, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2013

What a shame for the Keys to have this hotel under such poor management. They haven't spent a dime here in a long time!! The air quality / musty smell was the first clue I was not going to like it.
Thank goodness we only had one night here. The wall paper is falling off the wall due to water leaks, carpets dirty, walls and furniture dirty, the blind were disgraceful....there was gum on the wall by the headboard...etc. etc. The pool was nice actually but after speaking to a resident at the time share property adjacent he informed me that the pool was a shared ammenity and that was the only reason it was kept up. He believes this hotel is in receivership. They told me when I reserved that it wasn't fancy but it was clean......man oh man they do not know what clean is!!!
Not impressed

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Room smelled horrible! Moved to another room after 30 minutes but it smelled even worse! Pay a little more and stay elsewhere! I've stayed in some not so great hotels during my travels and this by far is the worst! Definitely not worth a dime to stay in!

• Stayed January 2013
Elmer, Missouri, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. The price was ok, but our suite/room needed MUCH improvement. We arrived around dinner time and our room was not ready yet so we came back in a couples hours. The bed was horrible, but typical of what you get away from home. The room was. Our youngest son slept on a cot and the mattress was just disguisting. If you are afraid of spiders and bugs then this is not the place for you. I'm not a princess and need the best, but don't think I would stay here again. The best part of our stay was that they staff was very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard Marathon Florida Keys
Seashell Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Resort
#10 of 17 in Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!