“A little tired...and no beach to speak of.”

Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Rochester, Minnesota
“A little tired...and no beach to speak of.”
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We were booked to stay for four nights, but stayed only one when we saw that they had no beach to speak of. When I spoke to the reservations agent prior to booking he said they had a beach and that was my number one priority in choosing a place to stay.. They allowed us to cancel, at which point we chose to stay at Tranquility Bay (see review).

This resort is in a really attractive setting, but a bit tired looking. Our bathroom's wallpaper was peeling back . The carpeting in the bedroom was soaking wet under the in-wall air conditioner where it had been leaking condensation, likely causing a mold/mildew problem. The lobby was in disarray and not very welcoming. This resort has a nice location, but definitely needs some TLC.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — No beach
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BananaBayGM, Kimberly Hayden, General Manager at Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon, responded to this review, May 9, 2008
Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate guest feedback. Our marina is currently under reconstruction and the small, sandy sunning beach will be better than ever!
Our maintenance staff is currently replacing wallpaper in guest rooms and bathrooms with a more modern "knockdown" type textured walls. It looks great and we hope you come back and check us out again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2008

Let me start off by saying this resort is definitely not a Marriot or a Hilton, so if you're looking for a mainstream hotel with the comforts you'd come to expect from such, then don't stay here. I went down to Marathon with the idea of having a great getaway weekend, and I did just that. This resort is tucked neatly off US-1, secluded by tropical trees and plants. I stayed in one of the resorts bunagloo rooms. The room was neat and clean. The refridgerator did have a bad odor in it, but it was visually clean. The room was nice. The pool area was very nice. Surrounded by trees, its a vision of a tropical oasis. It really was very relaxing. The hot tub was clean as was the pool. Marshall the bartender was very attentive and was very helpful providing any type of alcholic concoction you could possibly want. The restaraunt at the pool cooks very good apetizers. I'm sure the other food is good too, I just didn't have any, I was too busy drinking. They rent jet skis, boats, pontoons, kayaks and have snorkeling tours. I don't know all the prices but the Jet Ski's were $50 for half an hour $85 for 1 hour (which is your average keys rental prices). Kayaks were $15 for singles and $20 for doubles. I don't remember the rest. The resort grounds can use some work, the whole resort is not paved, and some of the buildings are in need of maintenance. They have a man made beach, but while I was there it was covered in sea weed like many of the beaches in the keys. Its very quiet, you will not notice many people around the resort. I had a great time though, no complaints. If you're a local or are familiar with the area this resort is literally Holiday Isle - the resort.

• Liked — The pool and the poolside Tiki bar
  • Disliked — The room could use some work.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much for your comments! We love sharing our tropical paradise with guests like you!
We are currently updating many guest room features, as well as our marina and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cheshire
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I located this accommodation from a guide book and was not disappointed. It has a bit of a retro feel to it, rather like an older motel but that's OK. The property is set in wonderful greenery and is well placed on Marathon, a nice stop on the way down the Keys. From here you can go o the Dolphin Research Centre (which is fantastic but book ahead for hands on experiences), go fishing, or take a walk down the old seven mile bridge. Rooms are fine; a bit dated but clean HOWEVER, I would strongly recommend that you get an ocean view room that looks over the small marina and then over the Gulf. Pool available but we didn't use it. For lunch or dinner, I highly recommend Leannes Coffee and Tea shop, a small restaurant close by. We had a fantastic dining experience personnally served by the owners who also have a great selection of wine which is sold at retail rather than marked up). All in all we had a great ouple of days and would definitely book again.

• Liked — overlooking ocean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for staying with us. We are always happy to share our little corner of paradise with guests such as yourself!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at Banana Bay Resort and Marina in Key West Florida on Christmas day/night 2007. The hotel was very clean and very quiet. They don't advertise it very much, but the hotel is adult only and the pool is clothing optional. The pool was warm and clean. The lounges were some of the most comfortable we've ever had. A very nice feature is that this hotel does have a beach. Although it is a small beach, it is a beach with sand, palm trees and water. Overall, this is a very nice place and we will stay there again when we return to Key West.

• Liked — Clean and friendly.
  • Disliked — Wish it was closer to Duval street
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kevin B
cape cod ma
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I have been staying at Banana Bay for over 25 years. I have been there during every season but now because of my work schedule I have the luxury of having the month of December off. I would consider no other property to stay at but Banana Bay. The front desk has gone above and beyond expectations. One year I was extremely ill. They located at Dr. open on Xmas eve, made the appointment and got me there. Bob has located restaurants open on Xmas day for me. They always make me feel like a VIP. The grounds are kept in spectacular condition led by Dave. The pool and hot tub are always a pleasure and always clean and at a pefect temperature. Housekeeping has the rooms immaculate (what a pleasure to come back to after a day in the sun). Even the floors and glass sliders are washed daily. Chris & the food and beverage staff are friendly and make happy hour a treat.

Can't wait to return next December!

Stayed December 2007
boston, ma
Reviewed November 14, 2007

My husband and I were on our way down to Key West and decided that we might like to stay a night at one of the other keys. We passed the Banana Bay in Marathon and decided to see if it was affordable. We got a room in the front guest house for less than $100, and it was worth every penny.

This place is my idea of heaven on earth. The property is a bit "older" and in some ways in need of a little refurbishing, but our room was spacious and immaculate. It had a fridge and a small porch and new carpeting, paint, beds, etc. It must have been the slow-season (late October) because we didn't see another soul in that building the whole 24 hours we were there.

The pool was beautiful and there is a tiki bar, although it is only open certain hours of the day/night. There is a tennis court, which is one of the things that needs refurbishing, and I am pretty sure that you can borrow tennis rackets and balls at the front desk. The beach, which is man-made and very small, is, however, AMAZING. THIS is what you came to the keys for! Again, we didn't see another soul while there, except for another couple going snorkeling, as we were leaving. It was our very own corona commercial. We even saw a manaray!

For dinner we walked right next door to the "Black Fin" where we had a delicious dinner. It is a fairly casual honky-tonk atmoshere, so we expected "bar food" but were very pleasantly surprised by a gourmet quality meal for a reasonable price. We chatted with a bunch of locals (we ate outside, where they have tables and pool tables!) and one of them told us about a dock on the property where they have lights in the water at night so that you can actually SEE the fish...we went out to it and it was incredible.

There are several other restaurants within walking distance of the Banana Bay. Can't beat that.

The only con was actually my husbands problem, not mine. He didn't like the ants on the porch. I'll take ants and coconuts over snow anyday!

Next year we plan to stay much longer. We want to rent a boat from their marina, snorkle and walk on the old 7 mile bridge, which is fairly close. (driving distance) I would recommend this time of year if you are looking for a truly peaceful vacation. We loved it.

• Liked — romantic tropical peaceful clean affordable
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank staceydaze
miami florida
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I travel to the florida keys on buisnes at least two times per month. I have stayed at at just about every hotel, motel and resort in the middle and lowers keys and i must say that banana bay has impressed me enough to write a comment or two.
The resort is under new managment and I must say its made a big difference. the rooms have new carpet new paint and new bedding. it not only looks good, but the place is very clean. The restaurant has a new menu and its very good, it's also well priced. the resort also has a marina and a small beach. the hotel graunds are well kept. it has a fantastic pool and a hot tub.
I had a very good stay at Banana bay. the staff is very freindly and realy go out of thier way to make your stay a pleasure.
this will be my hotel of choice when I travel to the keys.

• Liked — freindly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank fmvett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Courtyard by Marriott Marathon Florida Keys
#10 of 16 in Marathon
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach

Been to Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon? Share your experiences!