“Friendly owner Clean rooms”

Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel
Ranked #4 of 17 Marathon B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We let the owners know we'd be coming in late and they turned on the room lights and A/C for us and left the key on the desk. What wonderful service! The motel is no frills but very clean and has everything we need, fridge, TV, clean beds and shower, and a coffee pot. We didn't use the pool but it felt chilly. A perfect place to jump off to see Key West, only about an hours drive.
Motel is right off the busy highway but the road noise didn't bother us, we kept the A/C running. Thanks again, Laura, for your warm hospitality!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lorelli127

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. Not the Hilton but very very very clean! No frills just heat place to crash for the night. Close to info center for all your attractions. Owners very nice- cheerful. Went over and above to make our stay a great one! Delicious coffee too!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Rmr4jb31
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Ditch the crowds in Key West- stay in this lovely independently owned hotel instead! Very clean and incredibly cute rooms! The staff were also extremely friendly. Great price and location. This is exactly the type of place we love to stay in when traveling. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank CaitlynCraft
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently stayed here on a three day fishing trip.The last time I did this I had rented a house down in Key Colony Beach just down the road.Since I was only going to be on a three day trip,I didn't want to incur the extra expense. I truly had no idea what to expect.The only words that describes this place is amazingly impessive.This was the first hotel in a while that I had been to that was actually cleaned properly. The staff and managerial staff went out of their way to ensure that I was comfortable and happy.I am definiely staying here again!!

Room Tip: If you have your own boat,they can also provide dock space if you need it
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Chris N
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed during the holidays. Everything was kept very clean . We also enjoyed having a great canal for docking our boat . The staff was very helpful . No complaints . We will come next year .CUDOS to the managers and the owners! It's a great place !

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Please bring the old owners back! I have stayed here four times but I won't be back while they manage the property. I booked two rooms for three nights, at the last minute for a quick fishing trip. We arrived early sat morning, and left Monday morning. I was only there for just over two days, but paid for three. The rooms were not as clean. The AC sprayed chunks of dust on the bed, and the rooms only have two small towels that barely wrap around you ( I weigh 170! ) the worst part was when my brother brought them the keys for the room they sent him out with a receipt for additional charges at check out. They billed me 28$ for leaving twenty five minutes late. They were walking around cleaning rooms while we were packing, no phone call, no warning, they just smiled and waved and handed us a bill. I guess the $776 for the two rooms at the last minute is not enough for these new greedy owners. Well they can keep their 28 dollars for my 25 minute late check out. I will find a new hotel to stay in until these owners run everyone off and get replaced.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Tward4
rhmb30, Owner at Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Like in all Motels, Hotels, B&B’s, etc. there are guidelines to follow. If you make reservations for three nights, that room is ready and available for you at 2pm of the check in day. If you arrive at midnight or past, that room is there waiting for you, Guaranteed, because of guidelines, that are expressed at time of reservations.
The key word here is “communication”. If our guest does not express that they have additional persons in the room how is the establishment suppose to setup for them, with all the extras that they need. Same thing goes if guest wants a late check out, if it is not stated, or communicated, how can management provide? Check out time. Something that is stated at check in on registration card with signature required. Then even when at 10am of checkout day a member of the group inquires at front desk at what time is checkout and still nothing is said about requesting late checkout. So room is rented to another group of guests that are checking in and it needs to get ready and be available.
Again my advice is to communicate with front desk/management of your plans in advance so that you, our guests are accommodated, here or anywhere you stay.
Thank you and remember to always enjoy life to the fullest!!!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The reviews are accurate- this is a very clean little place. The staff was competent and very friendly/helpful. However, it is a very "economical" option. The layout of the room is set up fine. The bathrooom was a bit small but ok. My biggest complaint is the quality of the linens/towels. Ugh! The sheets were thin and the towels were very thin and small. What a difference higher quality linens would've made. I was also a little freaked out when we came back from an afternoon at the beach to find mouse droppings. Eww! This is a fine place to stay for 1 night if you are passing through the area. Or perhaps if you are a fisherman, it's perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
rhmb30, Owner at Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

In response to your findings, we take great pride in keeping our place Very clean and organized, like you stated this is a very clean place. My advice is when people travel and encounter something to their dislike, that they notify management immediately for help in calling in a professional to determine the situation. In our minds and a lot of our customers this is considered a quaint charming Keys style Motel. Our many reviews speak for themselves. We have been #1 on Tripadvisor for a long time and for the past 27 years that we have owned it we are constantly striving to make our quaint Motel better each day,
Thank you and remember to always enjoy life to the fullest!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
Skipjack Resort Suites & Marina
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon
Blackfin Resort and Marina
BayView Inn Motel and Marina

Been to Royal Hawaiian Motel / Botel? Share your experiences!