“Lovely quaint friendly place”
Review of Tropical Cottages

Tropical Cottages
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Lovely cottages really quaint. Greated by a lovely lady who makes you feel at home. Bar area is relaxed and really cool. Coffee pot goes on for you at the bar in the morning. Wished we had one more night there will definitely be going back.

1  Thank Michael B
There are newer reviews for Tropical Cottages

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Tropical Cottages in Marathon in January 2012 after a month long tour of the Florida Coastline. They are advertised as vintage accommodation, they are like our very old fashioned chalets of yesteryear. They have been decorated beautifully and modifications and updates are taking place all the time. The only thing I would say negative about the stay is that although breakfast was included, it could have been a bit better, it wasn't consistent really and could have done with having lots more fruit available instead of doughy bread and bagels. We found the most helpful person to be the maintenance man, very informative and went out of his way to accommodate. We learnt to fish whilst there and while the dock area is accessible, it could really do with cheering up and a place where you could sit for a while, it wouldn't take a lot to make that pat of the tropical cottage experience and putting a few bench seats down there would do the trick!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherry B, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Ah yes, Rich is his name...and fishing is his game. He is also the handiest man in The Florida Keys. We feel fortunate to have him as part of the Tropical Cottages Staff.

We would love to have a small seating area down by the boat docks, unfortunately it isn't quite that simple, with the grasses that accumulate out of the Everglades, and the New and Full moon high tides...that seem to want to take the seating out to sea, but you never know... we do have "The Handiest Man" on staff!!! We have plastic chairs that are light and easy to carry, that can be used while fishing at the docks or just to sit and enjoy the view....and then returned to the cottages after.

I do have to clear something up for our future guests...we do not have breakfast included in your stay, and we state that on our website, and with our booking agents, we do however offer coffee at the Tiki Bar in the morning.

We do hope if you find yourself this way again, you drop by, and spend a couple of nights with us. Happy Travels!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Upon arriving at the tropical cottages we walked down to the end of the street to find a swampy looking area with no access to water, beach, etc. The cottages are located right off a main highway which takes away from their supposed charm. We went to our cottage (#6) and found it shabby, dirty, and an overall disappointment. Upon checking the bed and box spring I noticed what looked like bed bug tracks on the box spring. I spoke with the woman at the front desk who didn't offer to come to the room to take a look. Rather she told me there was no way there would be bed bugs because they are routinely inspected. I wanted to believe her but felt uneasy. After looking at the box spring again and being totally disgusted I went back to the office and the woman repeated the same thing. She offered nothing to actually alleviate my concern. We were left hoping it was just mildew on the box spring.

On our second and final night we were scheduled to change rooms to cottage #14. This cottage was better in terms of the bed but it was rundown, shabby, and connected to the office. There were planters in the living room area filled with sand which previous guests had clearly used for a garbage or an ash tray. So unsanitary! The bathroom was dirty and the tiles were painted over. I didn't even want to shower without flip flops on. Also, the showerhead had no holder so showering wasn't easy at all.

This place was not well cared for or well cleaned...and it was completely overpriced! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! We were looking forward to a relaxing vacation in key west as we drove all the way from NJ but this place didn't help to provide that at all.

2  Thank awasser
Sherry B, Manager at Tropical Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

I am saddened to hear that your trip to the Keys was so terrible, and that you feel that it was because of your stay with us.

I don't want to diminish your unhappiness with us, because clearly you found fault in everything we did, however for our future guests I must address some of your misconceptions!

We don't advertise a beach....and that is because there isn't one.....just boat docks on the Gulf of Mexico. And at certain times of the year, the grasses out of the Everglades head this way and pile up, and to my dismay, it is something completely out of our control. It happens all along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, and not just at the Tropical Cottages.

I believe I addressed your concerns about the possiblility of bed bugs, and no I didn't come and take a look, I leave that to the experts, as they will know what they are looking at. We are inspected often as are the other hotels and motels, by people who know what bed bugs and their tracks look like, and they report that we are clean...so I apologize if I have to take their observations over yours.

The photo of the "bed riser" made me smile....these are purchased at any home improvement store, and are used to lift the beds off of the floor so it is easy to keep the underneath clean. They are a "good" thing= $19.95 for a set of 4.

I do however agree with you that the shower paint in #14 is peeling, it was painted years ago, we have tried many things to remove it, with no success. So instead, repainted with a paint advertised to suit our needs, as you witnessed, it did not. It is however clean....and we will keep working on the paint solution...so if anyone out there has a suggestion!

I wish you would have spent more time enjoying all of the wonderful things The Florida Keys has to offer....hopefully on your return trip..you will find a place that is more suited to your tastes and requirements, and enjoy your vacation!

Folks we are a 1950's vintage Keys resort, we have added many updates, and we have also tried to keep some of the property's originality. We are located right off of U.S.#1...so you are close to everything but not right on the highway, we pride ourselves on our cleanliness, and laid back, peaceful atmosphere. We work hard to make sure your stay is enjoyable and your vacation in The Keys is everything you hoped it would be. We live here because we love it, and want you to love it too! On behalf of owner, Sheila, Ashley in the office, Mike, our resident Charter Captain, Rich, the handiest man in The Keys, and myself, we look forward to your stay with us, and will make it an enjoyable vacation memory to pack away with all of your other great ones!

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Extremely friendly staff. Loved the quiet laid back atmosphere. Nice change of pace when you've been in the chaos of Key West. Great outdoor tiki bar. Room had everything we needed especially since we spent most of our time sight seeing and really only used the room for resting. Would definitely come back

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed in Cottage #5. I was drawn to this place because of the location and adorable cottages. Sherry was wonderful during check-in and happy hour under the tiki hut. Our cottage had a fridge, coffee maker, and dishes, which was great for leftovers. The decor is nice and the colors of the cottage inside and out were very cute and very keys-style. Unfortunately, the mattress was cheap and horribly uncomfortable, and the A/C unit made all sorts of noises throughout the night. There were dogs in the neighbor's yard right next to the property, and they barked throughout the day (including before 9AM). In addition, we had no hot water and were stuck with cold showers the following morning. When I addressed the problem, Sherry mentioned an issue with the hot water heater but said it had recently been repaired. We also killed a few wasps that somehow managed to get into the cottage, and there were ants in the kitchenette when we left anything out. The price is right if you want an affordable vacation in a central part of the keys, but I won't be returning because of the lack of basics - a relatively quiet, pest-free room, and a decent night's sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us ladies.

The hot water was an issue, although repaired, it did take 30-45 minutes to reheat the water, unfortunately you were in and out of the shower before that could happen.

Beds are certainly subject to personal preference, some consider them confortable, and some do not. Although I haven't had any other complaints on the bed and air conditioner, I understand that for you, they were a problem.

The amount of insects found in The Florida Keys is astounding, we are diligent in spraying around the property to keep the populations down, but sometimes, and without our permission they enter a cottage. Unfortunately everywhere in The Florida Keys.....there are ants.....and when food is left out....they will come! They certainly are opportunists!

If you have the chance to visit The Keys again....I hope you find a place that is more suitable for you, and if you are in the area, we welcome you for Happy Hour at the Tiki.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We kept extending our stay and even after we had to leave, due to availability, we came back for the great live music from Jesse Jet. Isn't great to have live music hear most of the nights?! You listen while lounging under the Tiki roof or laying in a hammock? No breakfast, but fresh coffee at the bar. All cottages are different, all charming in its own way. Wi-Fi is not available in all cottages, but you can get access at the bar.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed in Cottage #5, very clean and quaint. The tiki bar is great, as was Joe Mama's entertainment. Sherry was the perfect hostess and completed a fantastic stay for us. We will be returning, hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple