“Meh...”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Marathon
New Mexico
“Meh...”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Spent only one night here. The double room was small, old/outdated, but at least it was clean. The 'fridge and microwave worked. No complimentary toiletries. The "coffee service" is in a cabinet, down by the docks. The coffee urn looked a bit suspect, so we went to CVS and bought a couple cheap coffee cups and some Starbucks Via coffee. We were able to nuke cups of water, make coffee and start the day. The rooms are a bit noisy, the highway is quite close. The decor is "vintage" 60's, maybe 70s... The beds are very soft, which suits us fine, but some may prefer a bit firmer mattress. If you want basic, average accommodation, this place works. It's nothing worth writing home about...

Room Tip: Ask for one as far from the road as possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Troy, Alabama
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

After reading mixed reviews, I didn't know what to expect of this place. Check out was fast, however I do recommend calling and confirming your reservation prior to your arrival.
My room was #141, right on the water overlooking the dock. Gorgeous and peaceful. Bed was very comfortable and clean. I didn't see any roaches or iguanas.
The next day when I returned after a full day in Key West, beds were made and room was clean.
I believe location is perfect, it is away from crazy construction area in Key West and close to the gorgeous park Bahia Honda.
Telling all my friends about this place and I'll definitely return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alina P
Naples, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

dirty rooms, hard beds, and all the quality you'd excpect in a $39 room. problem was we paid $165 after all fees. the pool area is ok - but that's just nature in action. this is a last resort if the island is sold out.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sailphish

Travelers are raving about these Marathon hotels

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed March 21, 2014

There are so many negative reviews of this motel that I was leery, but the price was right and we were only going to be sleeping and showering here, so I took a chance. Number one, we got a free upgrade to a 2 room suite (some mix up with Expedia). It was built in probably 1950's but it has been maintained but not upgraded. It was extremely clean and quaint. The price was right and very convenient to Key West. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Tried to stay 2 nights at the Kingsail resort on Feb 7-9. During the week of the 7th, was informed by work that I had to cancel my trip. I called 4 days prior to me checking in and was told that the cancellation policy was 7 days notice. I have stayed in resorts from Holiday Inn all the way up to Waldorf Astoria. Never had I have a resort tell me that 1 week notice is needed. Never again and please beware if you make your reservation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Funknight
Canaan, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Made a reservation over the phone and got a confirmation number. We made a phone call to see when the office closed the day of arrival and planned to get there before closing. When we tried to check in they said they had us down for a no show the night before and had no rooms. When asked about our call earlier in the day they stated they "just forget the names" when someone calls. We ended up sleeping in the car since it was a busy weekend all over town. I suspect that they double sold the room since we didn't try checking in till 9pm. We had been there before, but never again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Laura P
NJ
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were driving from Key West to Miami and found this motel in a proximity of Sombrero beach planning ahead (it was fully booked when we came). We were planned to spent afternoon and morning on a beach and only sleep in this motel. Of course it is not a resort. We got big room (probably porch was converted to the extra room space and this room had 3 beds and a coach and it was the 1st one from the road. But we did not have any noise from the road. Room was big, clean, had lot's of pillows, hot water, small fridge, table and chairs. It was pretty bad free coffee at the morning close to the dirty looking marina but we did not care. Breakfast was not included but there is a place across the road (Wooden Spoon) which serve very good and cheap breakfast. Internet was really slow and spotty. They have an ice machine which was nice for the cooler with drinks on a beach. Sombrero beach is few minutes drive and it is very nice, clean sandy beach with facilities and adults drinks are allowed there. We can stay at Kingsail again if price will be right.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marathon
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 1 in Key Colony Beach
Banana Bay Resort and Marina Marathon

Been to Kingsail Resort Motel? Share your experiences!