“Affordable and close to the marinas”
Review of Sunset Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Sunset Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Walhalla, South Carolina
“Affordable and close to the marinas”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Nothing fancy but we always stay there because the price is right and it is close to the Bud n Marys Marina where we charter the Gonfishin V. They have A/C and a pool. Walking distance to Mangrove Mikes and Lauraleis to eat. Older motel.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Peter K
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thanks for your review. Sunset is very centrally located. Within 2 miles there are 6-7 marinas and I can't count how many great restaurants. The Lorelei is walking distance and has food, drink, music and great sunsets nightly. Come see us again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Torrance, California
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night and wouldn't have stayed for another. Our room was extremely run down. The bathroom was very old and everything was rusty and moldy. Nothing made us feel welcome at this place. The front desk lady tried to be nice, but it didn't have a genuine feeling to it. Wouldn't recommend this place. The bed however was clean and the mattresses looked quite new. The rest was in pretty bad condition. It was also very loud and the truck came to collect the trash at 6 a.m. right next to our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for your review We appriciate all reviews. We are constantly upgrading things as time and money permits. I am sorry the Garbage truck woke you. Maybe we can find a better location for it that the garbage company will allow.

Travelers are raving about these Islamorada hotels

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the Sunset Inn. It is a no frills motel, however, inexpensive for that area, rooms were clean and staff very polite. Don't go expecting a blow dryer, shampoo, etc. but a great little place to lay your head. Our room was updated, however, outside could probably use some paint here and there. Overall, pleased with the stay...............

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. Actually we are in the process of painting the exterior.
For us it is a slow process as we are doing it with our staff. This is one of the ways we try to keep the expences down so our prices can remain low. Please come back soon and see our painting progress
Ellwood City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I know I gave it an average rating, which is true, but it did have some good points. It's an average room. Not fancy. Has no rugs and plain furniture. I guess what I'm saying is if you expect a Holiday Inn atmosphere you won't find it here. Now for what you will find. Linda and I look for certain things when we stay at a motel. First, when entering the room brightness is looked for. If dark, that always sends up a signal flag of dirty. This room was very bright when we entered. The next thing for me is the TV. I grab the changer and start to see what channels they have for viewing. It wasn't the best, but by no means the worst we ran across on our vacation. Linda always checks out the bathroom. She found it clean and after showering reported the shower head was good. That is another one of those things we have on our list for coming back. There was no microwave, but there was an apartment sized fridge. That is another of those things on the come back list. The microwave is nice, but not mandatory for us. However, the fridge is. Linda found a back door, when on her way to check the bathroom, which she wasn't sure of why it was there. She called me away from my channel surfing to ask me why. I couldn't answer that and the wonderment of it also came to my mind. I had her stand there and I went out and she locked both locks, one on the knob and the deadbolt. It was very secure. No need to worry I told her. All in all for the money spent it was a nice room. We did find it a little strange that the hours were 9 to 5. No one at the desk before 9 nor after 5. I ran across a guy from New Mexico, on the morning we both were checking out, and that was one of the things we talked about. He wasn't sure what to do with the key. I said leave it in your room. We both agreed it was a value room.
The people who own and work there were nice. On the one side of the inn you will find "Mangrove Mike's" which I wrote a review on their breakfast. A half a block away on the other side of the inn will find "Lorelei's" which I also wrote a review on. Both within walking distance. And for us anyways, "worth every step". Linda and I found this 1 block along the over sea highway a place we will return to when next we are lucky enough to enjoy the sun and fun of the Sunshine State and the Florida Keys.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scabutch
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. Our back doors on the rooms lead to the pool area so you do not have to walk all the way around. We are contantly updating things in the rooms. I myself like a frig in the room also. Showers are always important. We are an older place but keep everything in working order. We are not the Ritz. There are great things close to do and places to eat such as Mangrove Mikes and Lorelei. Theater of the Sea is fun if you like the sealife things. Please comes see us again. Fall is a great time for nice quiet time in the Keys.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights. Staff were very helpful, room was clean and pool was an added bonus. We only sleep and shower in our motel room and this was perfectly adequate. Within walking distance of local bar and breakfast haunt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for the great review. We are not the fancy place, just try to be clean, polite and affordable. Hope to see you back soon.
Islamorada, Florida
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We are divers so we are use to staying in pretty low end places. We also know that you get what you pay for ,but we want to get something for our money. The property was very unkept. There was a overflowing garbage can on the landing of the stairwell. The room had a overpowering clean smell when you walked in so you know that it is a coverup for something bad. The light switch to the bathroom was so filthy that you could scrap of the grime with your fingernail, trust me I did it. Upon checking out we asked the gentleman that if by chance we needed to stay another night, god forbid, was there any rooms available? He grabbed our Key off the counter said NO and walked away. No sorry. No thanks for staying with us. No how was your stay? I know that the Keys are use to travelers that are a one time deal but in my book that is NO excuse for poor maintenance and poor customer service. Hoping that this could have been our once a month hotel when we visit the Keys.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 1babyduck
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
We appriciate all reviews so thank you. I am sorry if you found the place dirty. We pride our selves in having clean rooms. The garbage can should have been emptied but sometimes they fill very quickly. We will check them more frequently. As for the rudness from the desk person, I am sorry. He is usually very nice to our guests. but I have spoken to him about this. Please come try us again.
DC
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location of this place is great! This is a perfect for someone who just used their room just to shower and sleep. Not bad at all, but just a basic room in a good location. The good thing that you can pretty much get to anywhere on Islamorada biking from there. There is also a very good breakfast place right next door to the check in of this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Deborah G, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thaks for the nice review. We are not the Ritz but do not charge those prices either. We are clean, centrally located and very affordable Please come again and say an extra day.