“Dirty and Overpriced”

Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I live in the keys and had family and friends coming down to get married so I set everything up at the Days Inn. We were harassed by the owner and boat rental manager the whole time. I am a travel agent and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The rooms had bugs, fridge did not work, and they were charged way more than what they had signed at check in. Oh yeah, even though we had 9 rooms booked there, they still charged us for bringing a small boat $40!! Housekeeping was horrible and the only nice person was the general manager Cheryl. Other than her, no one else seems to be able to do ANYTHING!! If you do decide to go there, DO NOT rent boats or jet skis. The boat rental company is seperate from the hotel and I can not describe the ignorance of those employees and manager.....I'm surprised the wedding was not interrupted by him yelling as everything else was. I had personal property stolen (i think from the boat rental owner) and was never so embarassed in my life in front of friends and family. DO NOT stay at this hotel, if you would like a nice place try the Islander, Kontiki, Cheeca Lodge, Coconut Cove, or Chesapeake Resort. This review is from a travel agent in Key Largo.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank FLkeysgirl

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 15, 2006

This was the worst experience I've ever had with a hotel. The room was dirty, the shower water was just barely hot and the day I left there was a large roach upside down on the floor. I had an early plane to catch, but the office actually closes from 5am to 8am, so I couldn't check out until 8. The checkout process took about 20 minutes when the printer jammed resulting in a shouting match between the employees in the office! The "courtyard" was overgrown and messy, and crawling with cats. Unfortunately, it was the only vacancy in town the week I was there, or I would never have stayed there for the entire length of my trip. I was there for business, not pleasure. I don't know what I would have done if I had been stuck staying there on a vacation trip!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2006

This hotel and staff were both my worst experience by far. The room was dirty when I arrived and in the morning and a construction crew began removing the roof at 6:00am. The management refused to do anything. Dirty rooms and horrible customer service.

Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2006

Checked in on a Friday night and the staff were considerate and outgoing. We had one of the efficiency rooms because of the great prices they offered. It is one of the best deals in the area for what you can get.

We checked a couple other hotels before selecting this one and some were very, very small; and I ain't no Mickey Mouse ;)!! Others were asking for my arm, leg, and a couple credit cards to boot, heh, I'm here to relax, not empty my retirement account!! As long at the cleaning people and management continue to do good work and treat people right, the masses will follow!

It wasn't too fancy of a room. Typical hotel fare, but everything was clean and it did have a kitchenette with a refrigerator and microwave.

I would definately stay here again as the beach is just a short walk away and the livin is EZE down in the Keys baby!
PS- didn't catch any Hemingway sightings, but heard he does float from Tavern to Tavern; bobbin some mugs and walking the plank with some lucky pirates!!! AAaarrggghhh!!

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank floridadd
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 1, 2006

I was very disappointed with this hotel. The room I had was on the third floor overlooking the ocean, the view was very nice. Unfortunately, the view is about the only thing that was good.

The bathroom was disgusting. There were a number of bugs running in and around the sink, the shower was cracked and discolored. However, it was late an I figured that I would not worry about it. Finally, the toilet did not work properly.

The room itself looked dirty. The walls were stained and discolored. The carpet needed a serious cleaning and the lock on the door was broken so we could not lock the door. In my mind the only saving grace was the private balcony. Unfortunately, this was unusable as they are currently doing roof construction so if you sat on the balcony you ran the risk of roofing debris falling on you.

The one positive experience I had was upon checkout. We checked out a day early, our reservation clearly stated that there were no refunds or modifications. Thankfully, the refunded my money for the extra day (which was paid in advance). All in all, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed December 5, 2005

I made our reservation six months in advance as we were coming over from England and i knew it would get busy as it was thanksgiving.We had booked one of the ocean view condos as the children and my husband wanted to be near the sea.Well we walked into a wonderful view but then the smell hit us.The only way i can describe it is to say it stunk of rotting wood and damp.We went round and opened all the windows to try and get rid of the smell.When we put the air conditioning on it only got worse!The carpet looked as
if it hadn't been vaccumed for a long time.There where alot of centerpeeds (dead)even a lizard(alive)round the edges of the (dirty) carpet.All of the cabinets and drawers in the bedroom where swollen and damp.You either couldn't open them or when you did the bottom of the drawer would fall out so you couldn't put anything in them.We decided to go to reception to ask to be moved.We told the children to wait in the room for us whilst we go to speak to them in the reception,whent to put the tv on for them,and guess what?no aireal cable.We then went to put the one in the bedroom on for them and the remote controle had no batteries.I felt very annoyed with the reaction i got from the staff.Too over the
top,exaggerated and far too false.There was too much "oooh no really!?we've never had this before,ooh i don't know what to say,what a shock!"etc etc etc.They said they wouldn't be able to give us one of the other (empty) condos as they where to busy and
sugggested we go out and buy the food we needed and whilst we where out they'd try and sort it out.When we returned two hours later it smelt marginally better.When we went to put the food in the fridge we found mould,so we turned to look in the cooker and that was it the last straw!It was about half an inch thick with green mould!!!!!!!Hence we got our stuff together and ran.To be honest there is no excuse anyone can vaccume,clean a fridge and oven.It was disappointing and upsetting for the children who were excited.Anyway only a few hundered yards to heaven at the Islander.I can't understand how for less money you can go a few yards for much higher standards!

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Stayed at the Days Inn for six days and had a great time.Room was cleaned every day as expected,at times parking was an issue since some of the guests brought boats and they took up a lot of space,but it's the keys and boats come in handy.Enjoyed the hotel very much, the only gripe was that the price we were quoted for the weeks rates didn't include taxes which changed the total bill quite a bit. This might be a consideration to remember if you are on a tight budget. Great food everywhere, Islamarada Fish Company has a fantasic steak. Hotel was a good quality for the price!

Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank 805jonp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#4 of 19 in Islamorada
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
Pelican Cove Resort & Marina
#3 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada? Share your experiences!