“Perfect for my needs.”

Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Upon reading some of the reviews of the Days Inn I too was inclined to bypass the place. I'm glad that I didn't.

In all honesty, I don't know what people complain about. My room(s) were very clean, the staff was wonderful and accommodating and the experience is exactly what I expect the Keys to be like.

It is a Days Inn. I wasn't expecting the Hilton, I was expecting a Days Inn. I have a certain budget to remain in on my stays. By staying at the Days Inn I can provide myself with a little more entertainment while I am in the Keys.

I have been a patron quite a few times now and never once have I found something "so disgusting" or "rude" or whatever the complaints have been that I have read from a few posters. I don't have incredibly low standards, I have average standards. Likewise, I also know the Keys fairly well. You can blow a ton of money for a room, but the entire point of being in the Keys is be outside enjoying nature, so why bother with a fancy room when you won't be in it that much. Don't read that as the rooms aren't fancy. I was permitted to see several different rooms each time I have gone and selected the one I wanted. Sherry at the front desk is very helpful and very kind. She let me select what was right for myself and didn't try to force me into a room I couldn't afford. And they do have some very nice rooms. I have thought about staying at the high-rise on the water, but haven't justified the extra cost to myself.

My last visit I noticed that the grounds have been improved dramatically and the place looked like it had been freshened up.

They have a nice pool that is clean and your never more than a two minute walk to the water. The other thing I have seen listed here is that there isn't a beach. There is a beach. It is a Keys beach. The beaches in the Keys are different from what most people think of as a standard beach. If you want 1000 feet of sand slowly rolling into the water's edge, go to Daytona and sit with 15,000 close strangers.

As for the folks who have something nasty to say, I can just assume you have incredibly high standards that us mere mortals would never be able to understand.

For me, this place is great. I travel alone. I take photos. I know what to expect when I book a room at a Days Inn. It is comfortable, the staff is great and I will definitely continue staying there as my go-to place in Islamorada.

Room Tip: I would advise staying in one of the Villas. Perfect placement, great price and a lot of room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
DI I, Manager at Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear you had a nice stay with us and hopefully will return. We appreciate all that you said about us and hope others will read your review.

Sincerely;

Stacy R
Manger

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My Husband and I recently returned from a 34 day vacation that consisted of driving around much of the United States. We stayed in a variety of accommodations from Motel 6 to Residence Inn by Marriott. We are not the type that complains easily, so we usually don't complain if the issues are minor. However, by far, the most expensive and the worst accommodation was at the Days Inn in Islamorada, Florida (top of the Keys). The beds were rickety and there was a hole in the side of the box spring. The complimentary hair dryer fell apart in my hand while I was using it. There was absolutely no water in the tub at all. I had to wash my hair by scooping water from the sink and pouring it over my head while I leaned over the tub. The bathroom door was separating and would not shut properly. The kitchenette had a small table and 2 chairs, but one of the chairs was so rickety that if you sat on it, it would fall apart. The management showed an absolute lack of concern when we presented these issues to them. In defense of the cleaning staff, the room was at least clean, except for some mold issues around the tub tiles.
The Resort has great possibilities, but it has been let go and is showing the effects of neglect. It definitely is not as nice as the website or their brochure would have you believe. If you absolutely have to stay there, be sure to ask to see the unit before you commit, In fact, I think it is a good idea at any hotel. Reputable hotels will be happy to show you the room first.

Room Tip: There were other , newer buildings on the site, perhaps those rooms would be better. I'm sure t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
DI I, Manager at Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

In regards to your review. Just know we would never make a guest stay with us if they were unhappy. If you felt that this hotel did not meet your expectations you could of left with out any penalty for leaving early to find yourself what you perceive as better accomodations.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

From the 70s look as you drive in, to the rubble in the way as you are driving through a very narrow passage way to get to your "poolside villa" the place is a total put-off!! The very dirty front entrance to the room looks like it hasn't been cleaned since the 70s, the old and dirty fridge in the room looks like it's been around since the 70s, and the description of "villa" is the greatest misuse of the word in the history of the word VILLA. And the room being near the pool is laughable when you can't even see the pool from the room window. But it gets worse...when my daughter went to take a shower that evening and she was closing the shower curtain one side fell on her, and as she was thrown off balance she slipped on the very slippery tub--surely from years of inadequate cleaning--and the other side of the curtain fell on her as she fell down onto the tub. We ran to the shower and found that by a miracle she was okay. When we tried calling the front desk we noticed there were no phones in the room!! So I called on my cell phone, and for the next 20 minutes the phone rang with no answer. Finally the person that picked up said he couldn't come now because he was the only one on duty, but he would try to come to our room as soon as he could, and he would try to help us but that there was no one in maintenance available to fix the curtain. One hour passed, and since no one showed up I called again. I told the attendant that it was getting late and we needed to get to bed so we needed someone to come take a look very soon, and if this could not be fixed we would need extra towels because the floor in the bathroom was going to get very wet? He still said he couldn't come because he was the only one at the front desk, so I told him that I would go to the front desk to get the towels myself, but he said he couldn't give us towels because the laundry room was locked and he could not leave the front to unlock it but that he would try to get to our room right away. We waited for another 15 minutes and he finally showed up with some towels. He took a look at the shower curtain and said there was nothing he could do until the morning maintenance man came in. In the morning no one showed up to fix anything and we had to once again take showers in a bathroom devoid of a shower curtain. But this wasn't the worst thing it got much worse... when we checked out the manager-owner told us that we had broken the shower curtain and we were responsible for the cost of fixing it even though we explained exactly what had happened and that the evidence was in the room...On the side of the shower curtain that first came down the screws just came right out, the holes where the screws went in were clearly round, not ragged, and visibly just loose, but on the other side a small piece of tile broke off as my daughter lost her balance and she instinctively grabbed the curtain as it was coming down on her. But he insisted he was charging us for the damage. I was outraged because not only were we not responsible but my daughter could have gotten REALLY hurt, and we had to take showers under embarrassing and deplorable conditions. The shower curtain came down because of VERY POOR MAINTENANCE. I was livid that he would dare to treat us this way by pouring salt in the already bleeding wound! But my husband paid because we wanted to leave, but he wrote on the agreement that we were disputing this particular charge!! I contacted the hotel chain corporate office and I am now waiting for a response from them!! As I left the premises another family said they would be complaining about this hotel as well.

Stay in this place at your own peril!!!!!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

In response to your review. We apologize that you feel that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We read all reviews and try to figure out how to best correct any situation that may or may not of occurred. To all readers just remember there is always more to the story.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our stay at this facility was just awful.
The beds and mattresses were so old that they virtually collapsed when we just sat on them.
The "breakfast" they advertise is non-existent. It consists of a couple of plastic containers with sugary cereals and a thermos of coffee- set up on the counter of the office desk!
The people at the desk do not know anything and could care less- very rude and not helpful.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My family arrived on 2/11/13 and paid cash upfront for 5 days.The first day we went to pool where it smelled like sewage.My 7 year old son would not even go outside because of the stench.We stayed the night in room 508.Unfortunately,my husband and 7 year old son woke up at 5am itching all over which within in an hour turned into huge welts all over their neck,arms,stomach,hands and legs .we immediately called the front desk who inspected the room and bed with a flashlight.we found bed bugs plus urine stains and others pubic hairs on the mattress and pillows.The next step was getting a refund which they denied us!!we informed them we would stand outside of the hotel with big posters informing the public of what this place did.So next they called the sheriff to have us removed from property.the sheriff arrived and talked to the manager and did get us most of our money back in cash by having the manager go to the bank to get it.The days inn actually charge us for the one night we stayed.We just walked away to cut our losses.This place is disgusting and has no customer service nor compassion for what happen to my family.I am discarding all clothing luggage and purchasing new of which I will not get reimbursed.The worst is looking at my son and husband with these huge welts on their body.Stay Away-I took a chance and lost

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Kappy30
DI I, General Manager at Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

The property has no bugs! This guest simply wanted a free room. The sheriff had to remove guest and the room was inspected and deemed clean and bug free by authorities. We always stand behind our rooms and guests.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
DI I, Manager at Days Inn and Suites Key Islamorada, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Do not book here, the hotel managers are very uncooperative. We cancelled our night stay outside the 24hrs due to a cancelled flight (out of our control) and the hotel took our money anyway ($179.00). Beware before u book, I was a loyal Days Inn brand customer , but not anymore. Enjoy the free money. Now I see why this hotel is last in the TripAdvisor ratings for hotels in the area.

Stayed: January 2013