“understated elegance”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Southeast Florida
“understated elegance”
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I went to the Cheeca Lodge to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Usually they require a 2 night stay, but the hotel was gracious enough to allow a one night stay! When we arrived, the "valet" (JJ) greeted us, got us a mimosa :) and gave us a tour of the immediate property; she was a treat and a wealth of information. We registered with Jennifer who was also a winner in the personality department- a true professional and a sweetheart; she treated us like VIPs!
Our room was a premier king that overlooked the golf course with the bay in the distance; we watched a beautiful sunset while we enjoyed our "happy anniversary" bottle of champagne(compliments of Cheeca) . The room was well appointed & comfortable. The bathroom was very cool...and there is a suprise on the balcony.
the grounds are meticulous, the tiki bar and bartenders great fun (I wanted to bring them home-the drinks were fab) and a walk down the pier to view the 100's of fish, sting rays and manatees was awesome.We also swam in the adults only pool, located by the spa.
Dinner in the dining room was delicious (I had apricot glazed grilled mahi and my hubby had seafood pasta); our waiter (Bryan-great guy) brought out a dessert plate with truffles, brownies, chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate chip cookies; he wrote Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plate.
All in all a beautiful celebration that was romantic & relaxing. I can't say enough about the staff-all so very professional and friendly, they made sure that everything was perfect-and it truly was. We can't wait to return...
thanks Cheeca Lodge for a memorable time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
South Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2010

It was a Club Med Experience at Ritz Carlton Prices. I read some of the reviews on this site and think they must have stayed at different hotel or they must not travel much. Campus is lovely, but everything else is unremarkable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SouthFloridaMom2
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here Wed. 8/25 to Sunday. The staff at the front desk was always helpful and friendly. I think their names were Jim, John, Deborah and Cristina. This hotel is beautiful and is maintained very well; but, having a staff that makes you feel welcome and doesn't hesitate to try to improve your stay made all the difference. You would expect this type of service at a hotel with the reputation of the Cheeca. We had breakfast, lunch, and dinner over the course of our stay and we both enjoyed the food and did not find it overpriced. The specialty drinks are very good - however - the menu offers souvenir glasses that the wait staff said they had been out of for several months. Sunday brunch offered a lot of choices and the Chefs are there to make the traditional omelets, eggs etc. We had lunch twice outside on the patio of the Atlantic and although the restuarant was busy the service was prompt on both occassions. The food was not as hot as it should have been on our second visit so I would suggest covering it on windy days to help it hold it's heat. The spa area is large and the fitness room is open late. We went there every day/night and found it to be cool and comfortable to exercise.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Will-Krysti
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Prior to our trip I was concerned with the negative reviews. It wasn't just this site but I found that the Cheeca wasn't looking good on other sites as well. We only have time for small trips and make it worthwhile by staying at only high end luxury resorts. I can say that Cheeca lived up to most with just a few minor issues. I believe that the service issues have been addressed and hopefully will continue on in that vein.

The resort was beautiful, the grounds gorgeous and immaculate. Valet and bell staff were wonderful upon arrival. Check in was quick and easy. Our room in the main lodge was large and fantastic with the bathtub on the balcony. I would say though that I can't figure out why this room wasn't set up as a suite. There is plenty of room to do this and it would make traveling with a teenage daughter so much nicer on all of us. I know that we could have booked a suite but from what I understand they just don't have the wow factor that this room has. I wouldn't know though because I didn't see a suite.

Housekeeping would probably be my biggest issue, keeping me from giving this place a full 5 stars. While we were very happy to get turndown in the evening as well as the daily service, they just did the very basics each time. Just made the bed and changed out the towels and toiletries. Really nothing else. I had to request that they make up the couch on the first day after they left it as a bed. I am sorry but for what we paid for the room I would like to be able to sit on the couch and watch the TV in the afternoon. Unfortunately they didn't honor our request the last two days and we had to make it up ourselves.

The food at the restaurant was great as well as was the service. We really enjoyed the wait staff at the pool and never had a problem getting a drink, thankfully because the temperatures were soaring the entire time that we were there.

There were tons of activities but I have to say we didn't indulge in many. It was just so hot and the pool was our daily destination. The family pool and hot tub were fabulous with cushioned covers on all of the recliners. Unlimited towels were always available. The beach isn't a good swimmers beach if you are into that. It is rocky and I never saw anyone go in the water, but there is very nice seating on the sand that I never saw anyone use, again it was just too hot to be out there. The pier is really nice too.

I would certainly recommend this hotel and I would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LadyDiDi
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed September 14, 2010

What a beautiful property with great views, a fantastic spa, and first class food and drink. Everything you could ask for, plus quality and luxury! Also great to have local shuttle service to all the bars and restaurants.
Really enjoyed the neachside/poolside bar/food service and all the amenities.
As a South Florida resident, best to go in Summer when the rates are a little better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I booked a 3 night stay at Cheeca Sept 6th -8th 2010 just after labor day weekend. I had planned it a few months out as I was to propose to my girlfriend on Labor day in Ft Lauderdale the day before our check in at Cheeca lodge. I wanted the best, most beautiful and memorable expericance for her first full day being a newly engaged. In my online research Cheeca was what most often looked to be what I wanted. I read some great reviews and some bad ones; but I decided to see for myself. It was literaly HEAVEN on EARTH!!! We arrived at about 5pm on our checkin day. The bellman "Justin" provided the best, most polite and appreciative service I've ever had at checkin anywhere. Giving us a quick tour and unpacking and situating our baggage in our beautiful room. He was so quick to put our bottle of Champange on ice that I had thought for a moment that the hotel had brought in a complimentary bottle of the same vintage that I already had in my luggage... I got the Premiere Island view suite in the main and newly built lodge instead of the ocean view since ocean view was not included in thier book 3 nights pay for 2 special. Saved $600 this way and the beach is only 2 min walk to elevator and out back entry anyway. Also the island view was lush and tropical and a "magum P.I." type helicopter was parked on golf course which was kinda cool. We saw it take off one time.
We hit perfect weather...only rained at night for us. Our first full day on beach and at pool and salt water lagoon we only say 3 other guest and not untill 1p.m. It was like we had our own paradise all to ourselves! I asked a resort employee about it and he said that when school starts that the weeks our slower and Sept. is overall slower but it had been very busy labor day weekend a couple days earlier.
When you walk the grounds it feels like your in Jurasic Park with all the water and tiki torches and little 2 inch lizards surrying around. My fiance who is scared of all bugs even thougt they were cute.
The grounds are meticulously kept and all service staff I interacted with was very helpfull and polite. Our only complaint was a bridal party of ladies checked in below us our 2nd night and after a night of partying they were screaming and laughing on patio below ours at 2a.m. Rightfully so but we had a 8a.m. fishing charter booked so we called front desk and they had them quieted down in under 10 min. Normally we'd join them...after all I'm a territory manager for Capt Morgan, Jose Cuervo and Kettle 1 vodka but I had a 200lb shark to spend an hour reeling in the next day and needed some rest.
We ate breakfast here once...very good...best fresh squeezed O.J. ever and dinner one night at the Nakia Sushi place...also very good. My fiance had the Exotic Veg sushi roll which was the "best veg sushi she has ever had" and I loved it too. Highly recomend that one!
Only complaint i over heard our whole stay was a guy complaining about the music at our sushi dinner. It was out of place 70's stuff for sure, but it led me to believe most (not all) the bad reviews I saw before were Snobby People being what they are.....Snobby; and if he spent $3500 a night for the Pent House Suite..God bless em and I think he should hear the type of music he wants..LOL. I did hear at the Tiki bar that a guest had requested a XM 70's station at the Tiki bar.....maybe the Naki place could get a seperate sound system controll to keep a "mood" set...?
Overall LOVED this place and can't wait to go back.....hope this helps anyone looking at Checca.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Beautiful hotel, considered a four star but we experienced average service. Only stay if you are able to get a reduced rate. Rooms in main hotel are by far the best.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StephaniOC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost
Ocean House
Ocean House
#1 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!