“White beaches and clear waters”
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Cheeca lodge is a lovely place . We stayed there for a few nights, after having been to Miami and going round the Florida Keys. As with everything in the Keys, its fairly remote and if you want to go anywhere, you defintely need a car. I would recommend renting one and driving down there from Miami - the road has breathtaking views.
Cheeca lodge offers comfortable rooms, lovely swimming pools, nice beache... The restaurent is also pretty good, breakfast is amazing. I would defintely recommend a snorkelling trip the hotel proposes.
Avoid the "snorkelling pool" at all costs -its warm and smells of dead fish, i wouldnt trust it.

There are beautiful restaurents in the surrounding areas - i wouldnt recommend spending all your time at the Lodge, there isnt a great deal to do except relax, but i would definitely recommend it for a few relaxing days.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,451)

Reviewed July 7, 2010

When my wife and i were welcomed by champagne glasses upon our arrival, we thought we were going to stay in a 5 star hotel.....The service is horrible. You can tell there is no strong hotel management. Too much staff wondering without doing anything. It would take us 10 minutes to be served bread, another 15 minutes for food to arrive. No apologies and no customer satisfaction focus. Also, housekeeping would only come around 4pm, never before. In one occasion, we called the concierge and managers at 11 am, 2pm, and 3pm to ask for housekeeping to clean our room. We never once received an apology from management. I can not express how inefficient the management is in this hotel. The place is gorgeous but clearly not worth the money that you pay.

Be aware, if you want to spend time on the beach and relax, then you will be ok, but you will not be treated as a 5 star hotel guest. At all!!!!

Can someone please speak with the owners of the hotel and let them know that an extreme makeover of management needs to happen ASAP, else this hotel will become a joke.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We spent three nights at Cheeca. We LOVED the setting, including the use of bikes, the pool and our room (Luxury Lagoon). The Pier jutting out into the water is spectacular, but the beach, alas, is not. Apparently that is true for most of the Keys, so we were somewhat prepared. A few things were definitely amiss; we were greeted at the sushi restaurant on our first night by a harried hostess who said she couldn't seat anyone again until 8:30 (it was 8:20) so we headed to the Tiki Bar. That's where we stayed since by 8:45 there was still no contact from her. When we finally ordered from the bar menu they told my husband not to order the sushi since the chefs were still "backed up." Our maid service showed up VERY early one day (8:40) and never returned until we called the front desk after returning from an outing 4-5 hours hours later. Food by the pool was delicious and well-served, the rest of it overpriced. All in all, it was a fine, not stellar, experience, made better by the fact that we stayed during their Midsummer Nights special (one free night after two). We too heard beeping or some sort of alarm and called to alert the desk.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This resort is a 5 star resort with 1 or 2 star employees! Yes, the ocean front room was very nice and the resort beautiful, but DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! The owner should invest in an outside source to come in and straighten out everyone! This place could be spectacular, if it weren't for the waitresses, bar tenders and management (and I use those titles loosely because none of them act as such!) Our first day there, we had over $200 stolen from our room. No, we mistakenly did not put it in the safe and were not aware of the turn-down service that would be coming in 15 minutes after we left for the pool! If you decide to go to this place, take our advise -USE THE SAFE FOR EVERYTHING! My daughter had $20 stolen from her purse, money in which they had to go through THREE zippered compartments to get to! As far as I'm concerned, if they looked through that, they looked through ALL of our bags and personal items. I was surprised my husbands pain pills were still there, but who knows if any were missing. I had never felt so violated in my life and it brought both myself and my daughter to tears. One of the managers, John, and the head of security, (don't remember his name), found out who's key was used to access our room. John WAS helpful and said that we had nothing to prove and that Cheeca would take care of it. We were told the worker was fired. We repeatedly tried to track people down to get answers as to WHAT they were going to do for us. We would have taken a little credit or ANYTHING - we weren't looking for a free ride! We only wanted a token or acknowledgment that we were violated and a "sorry, here's a little something for your trouble." We later found out the worker was NOT fired from John's boss (don't know his name, but I COULD give him one that's inappropriate:) That same "higher up" boss told us there was nothing they could do for us and acted like we were bothering him and that it wasn't his problem! Needless to say we were left confused and furious. After getting robbed, we decided we needed a drink. We went to the Tiki bar. There might have been 8 people there when we arrived, not a lot of people. Neither "bartender" acknowledged us for at least 3-4 minutes, and even walked right by us! Once we finally got our drinks, they were not good. My margarita had all kinds of black specks floating in it. Our waitress the next morning at the $20 buffet (!) needs to learn to keep her mouth closed. She continually talked about her daughter and how she's not afraid to "whoop her butt". It was a non-stop, one-sided dialogue. I just wanted to eat my $9 yogurt and fruit. They yogurt was horrible, by the way. Also, during our stay the fire alarms continually went off, including at almost 11 PM at night! There was no announcement or information of any kind as to what was going on. If you decide to fish, you do pay $8 per bag of bait (shrimp). It is a catch and release system, but they do NOT have any tools to help you get the hook out of the poor fishes mouths! We ended up killing fish trying to get the hooks out! There is not a REAL beach here, either. If you want a beach that you can play on, go elsewhere. The snorkel lagoon was interesting to my son since swimming in the ocean was impossible.
I read many reviews before deciding on this resort. I wish I had listened to all of those that said the same thing I experienced! It is not worth the money we paid. If this resort gets a staff/management "make-over", MAYBE! Please heed our warnings. I'd hate for this to happen to anyone else. If you do decide to choose Cheeca, you have been forewarned!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank LovetoTravel116
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I have never felt so compelled to write a review on a hotel before. Although the Cheeca may offer beautiful scenery and more amenities than other hotels/resorts in the keys, they are desperately lacking in so many other areas. Don't be fooled by the glass of champagne upon arrival or the beauty of the grounds upon check-in. BRIDES BEWARE- DO NOT USE THE SPA! What a joke it is to even call themselves a spa. Save yourself the hassle and stress, and make it to your rehearsal on time, make your appointments directly to Ciao Bella (which is where they ended up sending me after their employee had managed to botch everything up so badly, not to mention battling with management the day of our wedding for reimbursement. A check was finally written to us three days later only after having to argue our case and chase the manager down since there was a discrepancy and conflicting comments made between the spa and hotel employees as to what would be done to rectify the situation). Each day, the hotel ran out of towels at the pools, it took an average of 30 minutes to have our drink orders delivered to us at the adults only pool, and that is even if the waitress remembered to place our orders, (yes, this happened), nice room service attendant however the food was soggy, large hole in one of our bath towels and had to constantly leave written notes for housekeeping for certain items to be refilled such as water, coffee, sugar, creamer and soap. Shower was not clean, there were soap remnants in the shower which I ended up scrubbing myself before I would even bother to get in it. Such a disappointment for a supposedly luxury resort. I highly recommend eating and spending your money elsewhere and visiting the hotel for the scenery.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2010

i spent a little more than usual to stay here to treat myself because the wind was interfering with my snorkel plans. this place was awesome. the room was great, with a very comfortable bed, a small fridge and a screened porch. the grounds were beautiful and i wish i had stayed longer to take full advantage of everything. staff was all friendly and helpful, from check in when they gave me the best available room in my price range to check out when they let me check out late because my plane wasnt until later. The two meals i ate there were wonderful. i had the club for lunch, which was tasty and huge. i had the filet for dinner, which was the best filet i have had, including major u.s. cities, famous steak houses, etc.. my next trip to the keys, this is where i will be

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We came here to celebrate our honeymoon. Even though we let them know in advance, there was no acknowledgement from the management team, nor even a "Congratulations" card on the bed, let alone petals, flowers or fruit basket. The phone in the room did not work, so we called the concierge to let them know. For 5 days, we let every single person in duty that the phone did not work, however, again there was no acknowledgement from management, or any solution provided by them. The place is breathtaking but the hotel management needs to make a much better job at tackling guest issues and doing something for a better client service. Also, housekeeping would not clean the rooms until 4pm every day. Again, hotel management needs to learn from bigger hotel chains where customer satisfaction is the key to success

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Monts2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#4 of 19 in Islamorada
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!