“Top hotel in Islamorada”
Review of Cheeca Lodge & Spa

Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Fort Lauderdale
“Top hotel in Islamorada”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Definitely worth staying in Islamorada. Ocean view rooms with bathtubs on balcony are excellent! Without kids or with kids!! Bathrooms are huge! Property is awesome. Lagoon is so fun for kids to snorkel in. Dock is great to fish off. Location is excellent with great restaurants around. Hotel provides shuttle service as well! Excellent feature.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicki R
CheecaSales, Director of Sales at Cheeca Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Your review was tops with us! Thanks. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again this summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed on the top floor in the premier oceanfront king. It was amazing, we loved the huge shower that overlooks the ocean as well as the huge tub on our balcony. The room was super clean and the bed was comfortable. Did have a slight issue with the bedding and called down and they sent someone up right away.

The beach was nice in front of the resort but couldn't really walk out in the water with all the grass laying. There were other places to enter the water and they did their best to remove the daily grass.

We took a bike ride around the resort to check out the tennis courts, golfing and to see the adult pool and everything was really pretty and well kept.

Only negative to say is that I don't feel we got our monies worth on the $39 daily resort fee and drinks/food were kind of expensive.

Overall we were very satisfied with our visit and would recommend to our friends/family and plan on returning in the future.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank livingthelife22
We are delighted that you would recommend us to your friends and family, and that you are planning to return! We are so happy you found your room amazing and comfortable. We are glad you enjoyed our beach, and wanted you to know that Sargassum seaweed has washed ashore at Cheeca recently due to recent storms and wind direction. The Florida Keys and its smaller islands are well known for the high levels of Sargassum covering their shores. Sargassum is also what offshore captains look for to find mahi-mahi and other species of fish who feed off the plankton and other creatures living in the seaweed.
Cheeca’s resort fee is comparable to resort fees charged by other resorts of our caliber. It includes tennis, golf, fishing rods, sea kayaks, bicycles, shade cabanas, fitness center, DVD movie rentals, in-room coffee, tea and bottled water, wireless internet, guest internet station with DSL and printer, local and 800 calls, guest fax services, daily newspaper delivery, local shuttle service and valet or self-parking.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are staying at Cheeca for our 20th Anniversary. We visit several times per year and although I've meant to write a review many times, I never got around to it. We travel a lot and have been to many places, but Cheeca keeps bringing us back. From the glass of champagne enjoyed during check-in, to the impeccably clean rooms and comfortable beds, to the friendly employees and bartenders, we feel both pampered and at home here. The Spa is fantastic (Ricky gave me the best massage I've EVER had), the food is great, and the sunsets are spectacular. We will keep coming back for consistently good service and great memories. An all-around wonderful experience. Thanks Cheeca!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CheecaLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Cheeca Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Wow! What a fantastic review, and Happy Anniversary. We are so glad you took the time to write down all that is wonderful about Cheeca. We are so appreciative. We truly treasure our repeat guests like you, and we thank you so much for your loyalty and patronage. We are looking forward to your next visit. Thank you so much for writing.
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few days on our trip to the Florida Keys. It was really the highlight of our trip and we enjoyed it. Nice surroundings, right on the beach and lots of things to do. They have an excellent brunch at the weekends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that Cheeca was the highlight of your trip to the Keys. We would love to have you back for another visit soon. Thanks for writing.
Buffalo
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Was great stay but some things needed to be fixed ! We went to our room and the door was broken . We called to get it fixed and at 8:30 that night the drilling banging started !! They fixed it but did not work like it should . The service was great till the last night , it was you 20 wedding anniversary and we went to dinner . It was so bad , the service was slow food cold and someone was smoking a cigar 10 feet away !!!! I asked to speak to the manger . The ocean would for been better to talk to ! 4 good days 1 bad

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim B
We wish you a very happy 20th anniversary, and are honored you chose to spend this wonderful occasion with us. Our apologies for the broken door and the service issues at dinner, we will investigate these things and rectify them. We also are so sorry about the cigar smoke; that is most unfortunate. We will look into this as well. Please do consider a return visit so we can strive for five good days out of five. Thanks for writing.
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I took a vacation here and loved every minute. Thinking about planning our next trip and the wonderful memories of Cheeca Lodge came to mind. The spa is amazing, the staff super friendly, every thing is clean, great things to do with the tennis courts, golf and two swimming pools. Go there!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gjorg
back! We loved every minute reading your review. We try to craft special memories for all of our guests and we accomplished that with you. We are so grateful for your kind words. Thank you.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I live in South Florida and were looking for a quick, 4-day getaway to celebrate our honeymoon and considered a number of options in the Keys and Naples before deciding on Cheeca Lodge. We wanted to find a quiet resort that offered comfortable accommodations, great food and other amenities, and Cheeca Lodge certainly delivered on those minimum requirements. It is difficult to describe, but from the moment we arrived and drove past the gatehouse of the property we felt a sense of isolation and tranquility - exactly what we were looking for. The bellmen/valets took care of our car and bags with a smile while we walked into the warm and inviting lobby, which reminded me of some of the finest boutique resorts I have stayed in. We were offered champagne (a nice touch) and graciously declined since we are not drinkers, but would have appreciated a non-alcoholic alternative since we had just spent 2.5 hours in the car. No harm, no foul and we were promptly provided our keys to a Premier Oceanfront King room in the main building overlooking the Atlantic. Just a few steps to the elevator and up a few levels, the room was wonderful - clean and spacious with a modern bathroom, perfectly suiting our needs. The glass enclosed shower offered multiple water sources (all with great pressure) including a rainfall shower head and sliding glass doors leading directly from the shower to the large soaking tub (no jets for those in search of a jacuzzi) on the balcony, which was a nice treat. I just wish the hotel provided bubbles for the bath which would add a nice touch of romance, especially for honeymooners.

There is a mandatory resort fee that covers a number of amenities including bottled water for your room (ours was replenished daily), tennis, golf, bikes, DVD movie rentals, kayaks, internet and valet parking. We used the bikes on a few occasions and found them in very good condition, played tennis every evening (6 lighted hard courts, 4 that appear to have been recently resurfaced), watched a few DVDs (two easy-to-use, self-service machines that contain a healthy library of current and classic movies) and found the wireless internet to be quite fast and reliable.

We slept-in each day and started with lunch at Atlantic's Edge - the food was outstanding and we had pizzas, salads and fish sandwiches...all freshly prepared and delicious! The pricing was what we expected, but we did find the service to be a bit spotty. My wife and I are relatively young (mid 30s), not demanding and very empathetic to anybody who works in a service-focused business (we both do), but we found the hostesses to be cold and impersonal, and while our servers were cordial, they would disappear for long stretches, having to rely on the more attentive busboys to find our servers for us (it was really strange and left us scratching our heads). For dinner, we tried Atlantic's Edge and Limoncello, and really enjoyed the food and service at both. Sky, our dinner server at Atlantic's Edge was a true professional and the only person at the resort who acknowledged our honeymoon - she knew the menu well and directed us both to dishes we loved. She also gave us a free dessert to commemorate our special occasion, which was much appreciated and felt very genuine. Gabriela, in Limoncello was equally attentive and personable, making our final dinner at the resort an enjoyable one.

Now, while most of our experiences at Cheeca were pleasant and in-line with our expectations, I do feel compelled to mention a few service-related missteps. Our spacious, oceanfront balcony was perfect, but only offered one chaise lounge. Upon returning from lunch on our first full-day enjoying the resort, we stopped at the reception area and requested a second chaise lounge be delivered to our room so we could relax on the balcony together. Within seconds of our request, the young lady at reception called housekeeping to make the request and told us it would "not be a problem." With that expectation set, we returned to our room with the hopes of enjoying a relaxing afternoon on our balcony. After nearly an hour without the chaise lounge being delivered and staring down at a beach full of dozens of unoccupied lounge chairs, my wife called down to reception to advise them that the chair was never delivered. The same young lady from reception who had told us that it would "not be a problem" was now singing a different tune. She said she was still working on it and that it would only be another 5-10 minutes for the chair to be delivered. After another 20 minutes elapsed, my wife called reception again and the same young lady took a nasty tone and basically said she did all she could to get us another chaise lounge, but it was in housekeeping's hands at that point. My wife kindly asked to speak with a manager on duty and the same young lady said the manager was not available and would have someone call us. When my wife asked for an expectation on when we would receive the call back, the young lady became more agitated and told my wife that she did not know when a manager would be available to speak with us. My wife was stunned and frustrated that our seemingly simple request could be so difficult to accommodate and that's when I took the 90-second stroll to reception myself. Since I knew which young lady my wife had been dealing with, I looked for an alternative. As luck would have it, the next person I spoke with was the manager on duty. I very politely introduced myself, shook her hand and then proceeded to tell her in a tactful manner that my wife of just a few days was upset and that it was not the way I wanted our honeymoon to start. She agreed, apologized, said she knew nothing of the issue and would get us a chaise lounge ASAP. About 20 minutes later, one of the beach attendants arrived at our door with the chair...did that really need to be so difficult? :-)

The other service hiccup was related to housekeeping. We requested and were granted a late check-out and planned to sleep-in, shower and be out the door by 12 Noon. To make sure we were uninterrupted, I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door - apparently the sign disappeared or was removed, since we were interrupted like clock-work on 3 separate occasions at 9AM, 10AM and 11AM. The 10AM interruption was not even accompanied by a knock - this housekeeper just came right in and was surprised to see people in the room! I spend half my life in hotel rooms and understand that the housekeeping staff is often pressured to clean rooms in-time to turn the rooms for new guests, but how difficult would it be to communicate to the housekeeping staff when guests are departing later than the normal 11AM check-out time? Rather than a quiet end to our relaxing honeymoon, we felt pressured to pack our stuff and vacate immediately!

While the issues we experienced at Cheeca Lodge were relatively minor and our overall impressions remain positive, they do highlight the need for someone (the GM, perhaps) to recalibrate the staff on becoming more service-focused. I know my travel agent noted that we were on our honeymoon when the reservation was made, and while I had no expectation of any freebies, just a simple acknowledgement of the occasion or "thank you for staying with us and congratulations" note from the staff and management upon check-in would have been a nice gesture (the only reason the Atlantic's Edge server knew it was our honeymoon is because the hostess asked when we made the reservation if we were celebrating an occasion). Since Cheeca Lodge was my pick for our post-wedding getaway I really wanted my wife to feel special on our honeymoon. While all guests deserve to feel that way at an upscale resort such as Cheeca Lodge, in my opinion, the staff and management fell short in that regard. Having stayed in other high-end properties such as St. Regis, Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons resorts, where it's the little things they do that make the biggest impression on guests and warrant the premium pricing, I believe the Cheeca Lodge has the same potential to be great, but based on our honeymoon experience, failed to deliver. Whatever happened to trying to find a way to say "yes" to your guests?

Despite my concerns, we still left with a favorable impression and plan to return to Cheeca in the hopes of a WOW experience in the future. Unfortunately, a culture of service is not easy to cultivate and requires a significant investment in setting the service bar high and then hiring, training and retaining the right people to deliver a memorable experience for guests. Working in the hospitality business myself, I know all too well that hiring "warm bodies" to fulfill service-focused roles is a costly mistake and can irreparably harm a brand. Cheeca Lodge needs to assess the level of passion their staff members have for delivering high-quality customer service to their guests and only retain those who are genuine in their desire to serve.

Room Tip: Splurge for an ocean-facing room - definitely worth the premium.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BSixDriver A
We thank you for your thoughtful, genuine and heart-felt review. We are very honored that you chose Cheeca for your honeymoon, although we wish we would have acknowledged this very special occasion in a more thoughtful manner. However, we were very pleased to read that you found our resort offers comfortable accommodations, great food and other amenities. It is hard to describe, but Cheeca does possess a special magic; a sense of place so remarkable that many guests like you fall under Cheeca’s spell. We certainly have!
We are glad you took full advantage of all the amenities included in our resort fee, and that you found the food in the Atlantic’s Edge and Limoncello to be outstanding. Our sincerest apologies for the service issues you experienced. We will address this issue with our staff.
With regard to the issue you had with the chaise lounge and with housekeeping, we want you to know that we aim very hard to do whatever needs to be done to achieve total satisfaction but sometimes we do miss our target. Even a small infraction of our own standards is of concern to us, as it is to you.
We are taking your comments very seriously and truly appreciate your time and genuine fondness for this small slice of paradise. Your keen and specific observations will help us in our training to become better at what we do.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back, and we are confident that we will deliver the WOW factor you are seeking. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
#5 of 19 in Islamorada
The Moorings Village
The Moorings Village
#4 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!