“Impressive!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Delaware
“Impressive!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada, Florida. I am a frequent traveller to the Florida keys and I have to say that this resort is probably one of the nicest that I've ever seen in the keys. There are a few other resorts that can compete (Hawk's Cay, Hyatt Key West, Little Palm Island) but in general classy accomodations are few and far between in the keys. The service at Cheeca Lodge was on par with many other fine hotels and resorts. A tip for future guests is to forego valet parking and just park your car in the lot yourself. The walk from the parking lot is a mere 20 steps past the valet area and it will save you the trouble of having to tip the valet attendant every time you leave and return to the resort (which we did several times per day).

There is plenty to do at this resort if you decide not to leave at all. There is a small golf course, kayaks, a fishing pier, bikes, and even a red box style movie rental system, which is all included in the daily resort fee. There is also a spa on site that is fairly high end.

Food at the resort is good, and I recommend eating at least once during your stay. We chose the italian restaurant on site, and it was pretty good. Another option is asking to eat in the private members only dining room, which I was told wouldn't be a problem for resort guests, all you have to do is ask. There is also an outside bar overlooking the beach (not much of a beach, although impeccably maintained there is no direct water access which is pretty typical for the keys due to the coral reefs and rockiness of the shore) and fishing pier which is definitely a great place to sit and take your mind off of everything for a while.

I also recommend getting out of the resort for a while, after all you are in the keys and there is tons to do and lots of great local "dive" restaurants where the food for the most part is pretty good!

Theater of the Sea is within a mile or two of the resort and it is a great spot to take your kids for a short day trip.

Overall, I can't really say anything bad about Cheeca Lodge. I'll definitely return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge in a resort view room, I would have liked the ocean front room but it wa...
1 Thank DJAntonio
CheecaSales, Director of Sales at Cheeca Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
We are delighted that you are impressed with Cheeca, and that you think we are one of the best resorts in the Keys. It is nice to know that you appreciated our Limoncello restaurant, our “impeccably maintained” beach and our trademark wooden fishing pier. We are also glad you took advantage of the many amenities included in the resort fee, and that you enjoyed Theater of the Sea and some other local attractions as well.

It sounds like you had a nice vacation, and we welcome you back with open arms!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

We should have stayed longer, cheeca lodge is beautifully located in the Florida keys and very well maintained. 2 hours drive from Miami and we felt in total peace ! service was very prompt and the restaurant very nice too. The beach is not what i expected - hard to get to swim in the ocean. the elevator was very noisy, so try to get a villa. Unfortunately the could not find a spot for us at the spa so i would recommend to book in advance - a few days before arrival.

Room Tip: the villas
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We wished you would have stayed longer, too! We appreciate your positive comments. We’re sorry the elevator noise bothered you; we will certainly look into that. Advance bookings at the Spa are recommended, especially during the busy winter season.

The Florida Keys are comprised of a string of coral rock islands, and the reef offshore creates a shallow beach environment. We hope you return again – we would be delighted to recommend a snorkeling trip!
Lauderdale by the Sea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

This was a surprise birthday weekend for my husband. It was incredibly romantic, spotlessly clean, perfect service, food was excellent. Great amenities such as kayaking, fishing, boating ect. Two pool areas provided us with a quiet place to relax in the adult only pool area near the spa, also a kid friendly, although noisy, pool for families is available. Service was excellent every moment of our stay from our check in with front desk person Jennifer to our check out. Even the valet was excellent! This is not inexpensive but it was worth every penny. My husband and I both would love to just live there! And, we also got champagne on arrival with complimentary souvenir champagne glasses. Lovely place.....

Room Tip: Superior King Oceanfront Bungalow with private beach, oh my.......
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow! We are so happy you had such a romantic wonderful time here with your husband. Your kind words about our resort and our staff are greatly appreciated. We hope you come back again soon.
Delray Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed there all last weekend. The service is horrible!!! As soon as I got home I realized I forgot to pack some of my clothes. I called the hotel that same day and they assured that they would look for it and get it back to me. I never even got a phone call or email back all week! I left a brand new bikini, numerous other items etc. They are such liars. I can not believe they would give me the run around like this. I would never stay there again. I have been calling and emailing everyday and unfortunately I probably won't ever see any of my items again. Thank god I didn't leave my wedding ring or sentimental jewelry.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Olga R
We deeply regret that we could not find the items you said you left here. We looked for them but we could not find them. We did return your phone calls, and we left messages for you on a few occasions. We also e-mailed you a few times apologizing for not being able to locate your possessions. We are so sorry you had a bad experience. Our policy is to return all items left behind by our guests as soon as possible. We appreciate your input.
Conroe, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Just remember! You get what you pay for! We stayed here for our honeymoon last week and loved it! We stayed in the premier king ocean view room... the perfect room! Greeted upon arrival with a glass of champagne(although we don't drink). We were escorted to our rooms then he offered to take a couple of pictures for us! The view was amazing! The room was extremely clean, comfortable and we loved the huge walk-in shower and the tub on the balcony! Nancy in the Tommy Bahama store was like a concierge to us! We did the snorkeling trip and it was great also! I couldn't find a negative thing to say about Cheeca Resort! Thanks to the staff at Cheeca for a wonderful honeymoon!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the premier room with the ocean view...sand, palms and ocean!
1 Thank Craig C
You’re welcome! We can’t wait to have you back! Cheeca is indeed the perfect spot for a honeymoon, and we are so pleased that we met all your expectations. Thank you so much.
Melbourne Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stay at the Cheeca Lodge over Columbus Day weekend. Our school district had Friday off rather than Monday, so we stayed Thursday thru Sunday. Unfortunately there were two low pressure systems on either side of the Keys, so we had a lot of wind and rain. However, I found the hotel exceptionally clean and the service great and friendly. In fact, I noticed that everytime it rained, the grounds crew was very quick to remove the excess water that accumlated in the parking lots and streets. This commitment to service was found in all of the staff - everybody was helpful and friendly.
Due to the weather, we could not take advantage of the free bicycles or kayaks, however it appeared to me that the equipment was in good condition. We did go fishing on the resorts pier (using the free rods which were in great shape) - my children had a blast. The only complaint I could have is they charged $10 for a bag of frozen bait shrimp!
If you are looking for a great resort in the Keys, try this one. We'll be back - hopefully with better weather.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the golf course which was very quiet. The kids slept on the sofa bed in the oth...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in spite of the rainy weather. We appreciate that you noticed how hard our staff works to maintain our resort and keep our guests as happy and comfortable as possible. We hope you caught (and released) lots of fish off our fishing pier! We welcome you back soon, and will save some bright Keys sunshine just for you.
Tamarac, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights at The Cheeca Lodge this past weekend and while the resort is very beautiful and our room was exceptionally nice, the service was very much below average. Others were welcomed with a glass of champagne, we were not. And the service in all the dining rooms was not good. Servers were not friendly and not well mannered. Our meals were nothing like what we expected to experience while staying there, they were very average. And the little shop at the resort definately needs a little more variety. While I love Tommy Bahama clothing, who can afford to spend $250 for a sweater to keep warm due to the rain. They need to add some more affordable souvenirs and gifts to their shop.

1 Thank AJS428
We appreciate your comments and are delighted that you found our resort beautiful and our accommodations exceptionally nice. We are deeply sorry that our staff did not meet your expectations. We don’t get that feedback very often and we will use yours to work on our level of service. Our policy is to offer a glass of champagne upon check-in to all of our guests; we apologize that somehow we missed yours.

Cheeca’s retail shop features high-end resort wear with the recognizable quality and style of Tommy Bahama and of course, the Cheeca logo! While many of our guests shop here, there are several other great souvenir and clothing shops nearby.

We take your comments to heart, and we will do our best to improve our services here at Cheeca Lodge & Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islamorada
Amara Cay Resort
Casa Morada
Casa Morada
#1 of 19 in Islamorada
Islander Resort, a Guy Harvey Outpost

Been to Cheeca Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!