“Poor at best”

Ranked #15 of 94 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a nouveau fusion restaurant, representing eclectic styles of cuisines. We source local and seasonal ingredients to compliment our ever changing menu. We have a wine list that represents 5 continents and over 120 offerings.
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We went to Kaiyo Grill last night for wifes 50th birthday. We called early for reservation and specifically asked for a nice table and we were celebrating her 50th birthday.
When we arrived we were seated right away by the manager. We ordered the norm several courses.

The presentation of the Rad Thai which should have been "Pud Thai" should have been an indication. Instead of lemongrass spice "lime was used that destroyed the taste of this simple dish. The Peking Duck was a fried or baked version of the duck was not spiced as Peking Duck should be.
The presentation was not conducive of this rating of restaurant. The service was mediocre having to ask for water several times.

I have dined around the world and Keys and know great food and service. I was disappointed to say the least.
Prices are exorbitant for quality of food.

1  Thank Jorge P
TurtleTracker, General Manager at Kaiyo Grill & Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry your experience at Kaiyo Grill was less than desirable. The two items you tried the duck and the Rad Thai are our versions, of the classic presentations and are very popular items on our menu. The "Rad Thai" can be prepared to a classic Pad Thai with just a suggestion to our staff. Our duck is marinated and therefore can only be prepared one way. Please come in and try us again .

Mgmt.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

As soon as we walked in, we had an awesome experience. Even though we didn't have reservations, we were seated immediately. The house cold sake, steamed wontons, seawed salad, and spider roll were all outstanding but the tuna squared roll was out of this world. Fresh jalapeno and sriracha equal perfection! We will be back!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Sorry to say this but the food quality was very bad and the price absurt high.
So take this as a warning: don't try the Rad Thai with chicken.
Apart from that the servicing was not great either. No happy faces discovered here.
Because we were not happy with the performance we gave only a small tip, 6 dollars. The waiter came after us and shouted ironically: " thanks for the six dollars"
So overall I have to say please avoid a visit to this restaurant.

1  Thank asv d
TurtleTracker, General Manager at Kaiyo Grill & Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thank you for you response. I am sorry you did not care for our version of the classic dish. We are able to prepare a more traditional "Pad Thai". As far as a server questioning a gratuity to a guest, that is unacceptable and I offer my full apology.

Mgmt.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

The food is great, however we were having dinner with friends. They arrived first, we came 5 Minutes later. We sat down and the server told us she needed to turn the table so we had to hurry an order. I glanced at the menu while She stood waiting for out order. We felt so uncomfortable we just asked she recommended. We spent over $400.00. I have never been so insulted in my life. It happened a while ago and I am still mad.

1  Thank awallace13
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This place is seriously amazing. One of the best sushi rolls I've ever had, I forgot what it was called but it had fried red fish in it, OMG. Delicious. Our server was very nice as well. I wish they had this restaurant near me!!