“Amazing”

Ranked #21 of 93 Restaurants in Islamorada
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a nouveau fusion restaurant, representing eclectic styles of cuisines. We source local and seasonal ingredients to compliment our ever changing menu. We have a wine list that represents 5 continents and over 120 offerings.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It has been over 2 years since visiting and I was disappointed they took away the burger and sweet potato fries. The wagu beef sliders were delicious however a bit undercooked for me. Regardless the sushi and all of the appetizers we ordered were delicious we walked in without reservations and the staff got us a table right away. Next time I am in the keys will make reservations by far the best restaurant in islamorada.

TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Kaiyo Grill & Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

MahiMahi1,

WOW, thank you so much for your review of Kaiyo Grill. It's such a compliment to hear that we are "by far the best restaurant in Islamorada"!! Thank you!! What a compliment. I apologize if we took something off that you loved, but we are always trying to keep our menu new and exciting. It sounds like you found a good substitute. Thank you for sharing your experience with other diners. We hope you make it back to Islamorada and Kaiyo Grill soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Dined with my 2 teenaged children. We had 2 great appetizers; the Key Lime Edamame (perfect balance of the tart key lime juice and sea salt) and the Grouper Cheeks (served with a yummy kimchi dipping sauce); they were both terrific. I had the Bubba's Big A%@ Stuffed Shrimp and enjoyed it tremendously; 6 large stuffed shrimp served with rice and sweet peppers. Both kids had 2 different sushi rolls each (Best Crunchy, Gump, Dragon, Empress); all 4 were phenomenal! We made sure to save room for desert and tried 3; Rice Krispy Bread Pudding (was fantastic, although I really didn't recognize the "rick krispy" part); Key Lime Pie (was authentic key lime pie and one of the best I have had); Brownie Cheesecake, which was by far the best!!!. It was a warm brownie with a layer of cheesecake on top, served with vanilla ice cream. Just fantastic!!! The service was very close to exceptional; the waiter was friendly, helpful with the menu and attentive. The wine selection could have been a little bigger, but I was happy with my selection. This was my 3rd visit to Kaiyo, and each visit has gotten better.

Danielle D,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of Kaiyo Grill. It's awesome to hear that each time you visit us you like it even more than previous visits. Your description of all the food was amazing! I was getting hungry while reading. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. We appreciate you sharing your experience with others and look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We started with the Wakame Salad Duo which was delicious and the Ginger Pork Dumplings, steamed, both of which were tasty and better than expected. For dinner I had the Drunken Scallops (diver scallops pan seared in duck fat with bacon and caramelized onions in a Sam Adams seasonal beer reduction. Served with lobster-mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables). They were tender and flavorful. The mashed potatoes were every bit as good as they sound! My husband ate the Triple Tail Saltimbocca (sage & prosciutto crusted, citrus cream sauce, paired with a cous cous salad & baby vegetables) since we'd never had Triple Tail before. It was light and flaky, the cream sauce was heavy, but worked. The Island Creme Brulee was a little weird, with green tea and ginger, but the Key lime pie was on point, though we were told it wasn't house made. Nice relaxing atmosphere and excellent service.

2  Thank Aerinea

Aerinea,

Thank you for your review of Kaiyo Grill. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your experience while dining with us. Your descriptions of your meals were spot on and it sounds like you ordered a few house favorites. I'm sorry that you were told that the Key Lime Pie was not house made because that is 100% false. Although, it is not made at Kaiyo it's made at the Green Turtle Inn our sister restaurant. The Green Turtle is about a mile south of Kaiyo and houses a bigger kitchen, which is why our desserts are made there. We put our own spin on the Key Lime Pie with the Macadamia Rice Krispie Crust. And as you said, it's "On Point"

Thank you again for sharing your experience with others. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

my wife, son and I go there regularly when we want to treat ourselves for something rare in the keys: a really good sushi dinner. The cooked fish dishes are also excellent.

Miami Frog,

Thank you for your review of Kaiyo. Another big thank you for being a regular customer of ours. It's a compliment to hear that you enjoy our restaurant and consider us a rare find in the Keys. We look forward to serving you and your family again soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The food was pretty good but I've never been to an establishment that didn't serve lemonade or cranberry juice. Apparently at kaiyo you must go to a restaurant with three basic drink choices because its very possible that they won't carry two of your choices, however basic they may be.

TurtleTracker, Public Relations Manager at Kaiyo Grill & Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Greeniie55,

Thank you for reviewing Kaiyo Grill & Sushi. I'm sorry to hear that we were unable to provide you with the beverage of your choice. Space is limited in our small restaurant and without a full service bar, we don't carry a large selection of juices. I hope that you enjoyed your meal and will consider us again the future if you find yourself in Islamorada. Again, my apologies about the beverage selection.