“It made me want to learn to SCUBA!”

History of Diving Museum
Ranked #3 of 60 things to do in Islamorada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, displaying, and interpreting artifacts, antiques, books, documents, photographs, and oral history relative to the History of Diving. We tell the international story of man's attempts to explore, understand, and venture under the sea. We also celebrate the special role that South Florida and the Florida Keys played in this story. The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational institution focused on the Story of Man's Quest to Explore Under the Sea. The majority of the Museum's artifacts have been provided through the generous support of its founders, Drs. Joe and Sally Bauer, who hold one of the largest collection of historic diving equipment and research documents in the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sagamore Hills
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It made me want to learn to SCUBA!”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

With all of today’s modern conveniences and equipment it is very interesting to see what others before thought was state of the art. This museum takes you back to days when air was stored in wooden diving bells through modern times. The dive helmets from around the world were extremely interesting. I loved the hands on exhibits and so did my kids. The staff was great and very friendly (they even got me teenager to smile!). It was great side attraction during our stay.

1 Thank SagamoreBruce

• Polish first
Durham, North Carolina
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Great Family Attraction for the Diving Family!”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Visited today even though I drive by on a regular basis its something I have been meaning to do for along time but never got around to doing till today. Even our 1 year old had a good time looking at all the cool diving stuff from the past!

Key Largo
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not impressed with Grandma's attic”
Reviewed May 29, 2009

While this Ma and Pa museum has alot of old diving equipment it is hardly a professional museum in content and interpretation. Misspelled words in the narratives and dirty, dirty, dirty! Clean the bugs off the floor and wipe the fingerprints off the displays already.

Someone needs to introduce a broom into the collection. Many dive shops in the Keys offer vintage equipment displays and are cleaner...hmmm.

1 Thank theseventhson
Northeast Ohio
“Must see on the Keys”
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I am not a diver but I love museums, antiques, history and technology. This museum was great! The timeline of diving was very interesting and includes 4000 years of diving.

I consider the artifacts in this museum as works of art. As an antique and technology lover I really enjoyed all the old brass artifacts. The diving helmets and old air pumping systems are things of beauty and technological marvels. I also loved the "stuff" from the 50's and 60's.

Excellent museum for children. I plan to revisit when I return to the Keys!

Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Abby”
Reviewed December 30, 2008

WOW! An experience I'll never forget. I never realized how much history there was in the sport of diving. This museum explains it all in great detail. Certainly fun for almost anyone. I like the hands on pumps, hard to belive they once used them for their primary source of oxygen. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Ms. Illes who shared her wealth of knowledge and personally toured us through the museum with much zeal was more than accommodating. Thanks for the great experience! I will recommend the museum to anyone.

1 Thank ddimatteo