“Wow... I had no idea!”

History of Diving Museum
Ranked #3 of 61 things to do in Islamorada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving, displaying, and interpreting artifacts, antiques, books, documents, photographs, and oral history relative to the History of Diving. We tell the international story of man's attempts to explore, understand, and venture under the sea. We also celebrate the special role that South Florida and the Florida Keys played in this story. The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational institution focused on the Story of Man's Quest to Explore Under the Sea. The majority of the Museum's artifacts have been provided through the generous support of its founders, Drs. Joe and Sally Bauer, who hold one of the largest collection of historic diving equipment and research documents in the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had no idea how long we have been diving. Do you? It was crude and there had to of been lots of issues but people have been diving for over $&@ years. You have to go to find out and you will be amazed. I had no idea this place existed until I was on a dive trip to Florida and saw the sign as I drove by. I had to stop and I was shocked. It is very, very well done with professional displays representing the timeline of human diving.... And it is amazing what we have done getting to our safe, modern equipment. You have to go here if you are in the keys and love diving.

There are newer reviews for History of Diving Museum

Reviewed November 16, 2012

As a scuba instructor & my room mate is is a beginner diver, we appreciated seeing an awesome collection of vintage gear giving a complete history of diving up to today's gear.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Some friendsrecommended checking this museum out while my wife and I were in the Keys on vacation. We are both divers but she originally had no interest in going. After bad weather cancelled our dive I talked her into going, and she loved it. If you have any interest in man's exploration of the oceans this is a must do.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I did not think i would enjoy this but it proved to be quite nice. I enjoyed the exhibits tremendously. it is well worth the time and inexpensive admission. we were fortunate enough to happen upon it on a night that there was a guest lecture being done and this was wonderful! it ended up being a highlight of the trip. though i feel i am knowledgeable I was blessed to learn a great deal more info. what a rare place!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Tour will take you about an hour or so. Worth your time. Wish they would expand the gift shop and see some treasure coins? Good for all ages and folks interested in diving history.