“The Reincarnation of Taster's Grille (sort of)”

S.A.L.T Fusion Cuisine & Cana Lounge
Cuisines: Asian, Latin, Seafood, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: S.A.L.T. is Southern/Asian/Latin/Tastes the culinary background of South Florida award winning Chef George Patti. Teamed with Sommelier Thomas Smith they've created a remarkable dining adventure in the Florida Keys. Creative, fresh made foods meet sommelier selected wines, specialty beers and craft cocktails made with fresh juices, herbs and handmade infused simple syrups. Upstairs is Cana Lounge for light bites, desserts and drinks in a classy urban setting for a complete evening experience.
Key Largo, Florida
“The Reincarnation of Taster's Grille (sort of)”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Let me begin by saying I found it impossible to review S.A.L.T without comparing it with it's predecessor Taster's Grille, of which I was a great fan and regular. S.A.L.T. is very much the same staff, which is great. But is a more upscale (not necessarily a good thing) establishment. Taster's was one of my favorite restaurants (can you tell I'm having trouble letting go LOL). Awesome, creative food where you could put together a meal yourself of "small plates" which we often did, or order an entrée. It was fairly casual, Keysey as we say. The new place, let's face it, is a bit precious. We ordered a watermelon salad to split, expecting a salad of some sort with watermelon on it. We received a piece of slate with literally 4 rectangular slices of watermelon and herbs on it. Good, but our server should have advised it was really only a couple of small bites each. When we sat down it so dark at our table we couldn't read the menu's. But at least he was very tall and reached up to the track lighting on the ceiling and adjusted on for us. Turns out my wife is not a fan of fusion cooking, the ceviche had popcorn in it, delicious to me at least. Oh well. I had the grouper with a sweet chile sauce. Very good, but very rich. My wife had the tofu scallops. "OK" she said (not a big endorsement) and she's a vegetarian. We ordered the creme brûlée for desert. It was brûlée trio and one of them had pate in it, and it was confusing which one. Since my wife is, again, a vegetarian, you can imagine it was a awkward moment. Anyway, I'm ready to go back, perhaps the Tapas menu in the Cana lounge upstairs is the replacement for the small plates at Tasters I yearn for. Not so sure about my wife's return though.

• Visited May 2014

East Lansing, Michigan
“Nice addition to Islamorada”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Decided to SALT for cocktails and tapas menu in the Cana lounge upstairs. Sean is a great
Bartender and offered helpful suggestions on food and signature cocktails.
My guest and I tried the tempura shrimp and spring rolls. Both came out hot and we enjoyed them very much.
We weren't hungry enough to order from the full menu but we did have a look at it. Some very unusual and creative choices. I will definitely dine here again upon my next visit it Islamorada.
Loved the transformation of the building as well.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sambo2359
Islamorada, Florida
“Excelsior”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Having worked in, invested in and dined in restaurants of all types, I can safely say SALT is first rate all the way. From the wonderfully updated interior to the training of the staff and last but not least THE FOOD. What a wonderful wide raging menu. I have been three times and on the last trip, I was watching people's reaction to that first bite. To a person at our table, everyone paused, looked-up and said OMG (or the equivalent). Our party had fish and meat dishes. We did not try the signature cocktails but worked the wine list - excellent. Will be back later this month - and I don't live in the Keys!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank melekalikimaka57
Marion, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Suzanne G Amazing”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My friend and I were treated to a "private dinner" during my recent stay in Islamorada. What an unforgettable night. Chef George explained each course. The staff...can't say enough. Although the entire meal was beyond wonderful, I can not get over the watermelon with sake, micro-greens, and goat cheese. My mouth is watering now. We had a beautiful, tasty salad with watermelon radishes and their in house lamb bacon followed by beef tenderloin, potato dish and fresh asparagus and homemade ice cream to finish. The drinks are marvelous. The food is beautiful, scrumptious.... surpassed only by entire group that took such good care of us. Thanks to all. Don't miss an opportunity to enjoys S.A.L.T. You won't regret it.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Gamster2014
Marathon, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Divine!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I have been anxiously awaiting the opening of SALT. Finally got there and we were not disappointed. Having worked in NYC for 20 years before moving to the Keys, we miss really great cuisine. SALT delivers. We sat at the bar, where the bartender was friendly, attentive (but not overly) and, most importantly, very knowledgeable about the menu and food prep. Chef George Patti's menu is creative and indulgent. It was difficult to make a choice The special way they prepare their beef has divine results. I ordered the tenderloin and ate the whole thing. Typically some comes home for the dogs. My husband had the scallops. He cleaned his plate. We brought home a piece of the Elvis bread pudding and it, too, was heavenly. My gin cocktail was delicious, my husband had some sort of unusual beer he thoroughly enjoyed and the house sauvignon blanc I had with my meal was perfect. We have eaten at Chef Patti's other place, MEAT, and you can count on us returned to both on a regular basis.

• Visited April 2014