“Destination Wedding”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Acworth, Georgia
“Destination Wedding”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had our destination wedding here in March 2013. I must say that we were a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews about the place.... but our wedding turned out to be SO amazing and beautiful and I would not change anything about Coconut Cove! Magda and Paul were the most kind and helpful hosts. They live on site and were there to help us anytime we asked. The old charm of Coconut Cove makes it so special! All of our guests had such a great time the entire weekend and never complained about anything.
I would recommend having a wedding here if you are thinking about getting married in the Keys and don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money!! Their prices cant be beat and the fireworks are a MUST HAVE!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank therolles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Let me start by saying I like this place and would probably stay there again. So I'll run down some of the pros and cons to help you with your decision. Coconut Cove definitely has some great aspects. It also has some "issues." What they mean to you is your decision.

Pros: It's definitely set back from US1 and is a quiet location. Its outward appearance can be a turn off to some but you have to consider where you are and the fact that you haven't seen the inside yet. So don't judge this book quickly.

We stayed in the main building, not one of the cottages. I liked the main building since it's kind of like the upstairs of a big plantation house- several rooms down the halls from the main lobby area which is a great, wood-vaulted open space. Nice. It's a coastal location so tile floors are a must. Don't expect carpet. The rooms are small and have no furniture other than the two beds (one queen and one roll-away); a dresser; and a bed-side table (only on one side of the bed). Would've like to have at least a small desk and side chair but there's no room. The beds were reasonably firm- you're not sagging into the middle but you know you're not on a Dux matress.

The room has sliding glass doors to the outside which makes it convenient to the tables/chairs outside. Bathrooms are spacious and laid out well. They have really done a nice job with the custom tile-work and showers. Exhaust fans work well which is important for pulling out the humidity after a shower. Shower water was noticeably soft which means you're not in the shower for 30 minutes trying to rinse off which you can get with hard-water sometimes in coastal areas. Bathrooms have pedestal sinks which means less sink-side space but the medicine cabinet has lots of room. Plus I personally do not like a lot of things crowding around the sink. Good, strong flushing toilets. They use a lot of water and could be upgraded to water-saving models but there's nothing wrong with these other than that.

A big bonus for me was the overhead ceiling fan. These should be mandatory in all hotels and I give extra points for those that have them- especially in Florida. And these aren't builder-grade fans. Nice palm-bladed with 3 settings. And the AC is enough to chill you down nicely. So there was nice comfort level.

The pool is really nice. The waterfall feature is very cool and relaxing. Makes a nice massage too. Only a short walk from the building.

Cons: Not a lot of building-side parking. If you get a space near the building, you'll want to keep it. If you have lots of luggage, you'll want to stay in a cottage or on the 2nd floor since there's obviously no elevator. Keep in mind those tile floors and concrete steps outside if you're a light sleeper and have late-arriving guests who lack consideration for those already there (and probably sleeping). This would also apply to those coming into 3rd-floor (the top floor) rooms; that tile floor resonates down to the rooms below.

I did not like the lack of a peep-hole on the doors. Only way you can tell who's knocking is to open the door. Not smart. Access into the building is not governed by keycard or after-hours locks so that's a big oversight. Yeah, it's safe Islamorada but hotel room peep holes is common sense.

I also didn't like the lack of a "do not disturb" sign on the door. It might have been limited to just our room but I never saw one on any other door. I typically do not like the room made up during a short stay. I tidy things up but want everything where I left it when I return. I've had too many instances where a well-intended housekeeper tossed something I intended on keeping or re-using. And don't even get me started about the frivolity of "fresh, new towels" every single day. It's a waste from start to finish and something you don't do at home.

The sliding doors of the rooms open to a common balcony shared with other rooms. This is nice but also has the downside of foot-traffic right outside the glass door to your room, only 5 feet from your bed. A lot of traffic? Not at all. But you'll have to keep your curtains drawn for even a modicum of privacy.

The views from the main building are basically non-existent so don't expect any. Out of the back, you have a view of some AC units, trees, and scrap lumber piled against the fence along a neighboring property. View out of the front is nicer but nothing remarkable.

All-in-all, I'm about a 3-to-3.5 on this property only because I know the Keys and know what merts 5 stars and what a 1-star looks like. You have to have the right mindset and manage your expectations. As I said: I would certainly stay here again. However, $175 a night was high for what there is here.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms mean no overhead noise but it is a longer walk with luggage.
Green Features: There is room for improvement (see review) including low-flow toilets and adding recycling containers to the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravelDeacon
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in one of the older cottage style accommodations, which was small, a little run down, and not quite as clean as I'd like (there was a lingering odor that may or may not have come from dodgy plumbing in the bathroom). My teenage son, who believe it or not, is not a complainer, thought the foldout couch was the most uncomfortable he'd ever been on (and he always gets stuck with the foldout couch when we travel, so he has some basis for comparison).

On the plus side, the grounds are gorgeous, spacious and well kept, with lush landscaping, and we didn't come to Florida to hang out in the hotel room. There are lots of chairs and lounges throughout, a couple of large tiki huts for shade, and a lovely pool. It was also very conveniently located.

This is definitely "old Florida" style, so be prepared to be flexible. I'd be happy to visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The grounds are very beautiful and you really get that "Keys" feel. In contrast, the rooms are new and beautiful with luxury baths. The owners are on site and go out of there way to make all guests happy. We have stayed stayed their a few times and are always happy. We have paid more and gotten a lot less in other places.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 28, 2013

If you are looking for a true Keys resort that is also nice and clean, this is the place for you. We stayed in one of the more modern rooms and enjoyed it very much. The pool is great and the view from the beach, alone, is worth the stay! We will go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah5795
Edgewater, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Coconut Cove will always have a special place in my and my husband's heart. We were married there almost 5 years ago. We try to go back at least once a year! Magda and Paul are the owners and they are both great! Always so welcoming! The resort is very family friendly. The pool is a walk in so great for the kids. Some of the rooms have kitchens and there are grills at the resort, which great! Going back in July for mini season! Can't wait!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Casselberry
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here on a side trip to the Keys prior to the NASCAR Championship weekend in November 2012. I had searched for a reasonably priced place that had a kitchen, and room to sleep four people in 3 beds. We were also looking for an Old Florida experience, not a sterile chain hotel. I wanted somewhere peaceful and quiet, and we found EVERYTHING at Coconut Cove. If you are looking for a modern experience, the new hotel building will be a good choice. We stayed in the older section and had the unit above the office, overlooking the pool. Even though there was a wedding and reception party the first night, it quieted down at a reasonable hour so we could sleep.

I got up with the sun to take sunrise photos and enjoyed the wild life and the peaceful sunrise. The resort is also a wildlife area, in addition to the pet chickens. You can watch the tarpon feedings, walk through the wildlife preserve, arrange for fishing trips, rent jet skis or kayaks, or just sit on the beach and watch the world go by. This is very much an "island time" resort, where you can relax and enjoy life the way it was back in the 30's.

The second morning of sunrise photos brought me to meeting Paul, and later Magda, who have put so much work into the resort. They live at the resort, and are warm and welcoming people, as was everyone we encountered at the resort.

We discovered The Hungry Tarpon restaurant at Robbie's Marina a couple miles south on Overseas Highway, and HIGHLY recommend it, especially for breakfast! Their "Purple Isle" crepe stacked with fried eggs, lobster, and served with hollandaise sauce will fill you up for many hours and is quite reasonably priced, especially as it is stuffed (not lightly sprinkled) with lobster.

The resort is next to the Theatre of the Sea, the second oldest marine park in the U.S. We enjoyed visiting this attraction, which offered us a discount since we stayed at Coconut Cove.

While the mattress on my sleeper sofa was a bit thin (I drew the short straw), my friends and I found the room and resort to be charming, comfortable, quiet, relaxing, and clean. Yes, the bathroom and shower in the older section is small -- that was the style when the hotel was built. I've stayed in other motor hotels from the 30's and 40's and this was no different. If you want the Ritz, this isn't the place for you. If you want to time travel to a more polite and uncomplicated time, you'll love the Coconut Cove.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends