“Great last minute find”
Review of Kon-Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Kon-Tiki Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I rarely make hotel reservations in advance unless there are pressing reasons to do so. March break 2013 was no exception, so we rolled in to Islamorada with no reservations, and no expectations (we didn't even know where we would be, just "somewhere in the Keys"). Having rejected several places from Key Largo west as either too run-down looking or far too pricey, we happened upon Kon-Tiki, and got way more than we had hoped for. The resort, on the bayside, has a number of housekeeping units, with large sitting/dining areas with a flat screen TV , fully equipped kitchen, super large bedroom with two double/queen beds and a second (older style)TV, large bathroom, air conditioners in both the sitting room and the bedroom, for less than the price of a room at some of the higher-end places. Ours had a screened in porch at the front and a small private patio out back. Some units had a deck in addition to the screened porch. Daily towel exchange is provided. There is a heated outdoor pool (necessary in March!), shuffleboard, hammocks, and a long dock with free docking for your boat, a fish cleaning station and a bit of cover for sitting out of the sun. When we asked about a local laundromat, we were directed to an older washer and dryer available for guests for FREE! One of the best parts of the resort as far as I was concerned is the fact that the units are not side-by-side for the most part. They are staggered or oriented in such a way that you get a bit of privacy, which is enhanced by bushes/shrubs that dot the landscape. The area around the shuffleboard court has lots of palms. Not a luxury resort by any stretch of the imagination, but great value for the price.

Room Tip: Book ahead for units closer to the water.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Deb M
There are newer reviews for Kon-Tiki Resort

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I found myself in Islamorada for a week on a solo fishing trip recently. I looked around at all the options I could find on the internet (at the last minute) and, for a solo traveler, this seemed to be about the most economical accommodations I could find. Obviously, it is difficult to select a hotel over the internet. What I liked about this place was that they seemed to have a collection of "units" scattered about a single property. I chose what I thought was half of a a stilted house. It turned out to be a room under the house. This ended up being fine though. The accommodations were nothing fancy, but clean and well attended. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I had also rented a boat for the week and they had a long dock right on the property that did not cost extra to use. The property was quite even though it was fully booked at certain times during the week. There is a heated pool that looked popular and clean but I did not use it myself. The grounds also had a few hammocks, shuffleboard, a small lagoon with wild fish, and maybe a barbecue grill or two. My room had two queen beds (a little utilitarian for my taste, but clean). It had a TV with a handful of channels, a microwave, some furniture, and a refrigerator/freezer. I really only use the bed and the TV myself though. There was a small AC unit in the window but it was chilly during my stay so it wasn't really tested. The location was as good as any other place on the island, so I had no complaints. There were plenty of restaurants within a short drive, and a few within a short walk. At the end of the day, this was not a "luxury" stay but it was clean and decently equiped so it served my purpose well.

Room Tip: The property website had decent descriptions and pictures of teh different rooms. The only rooms I m...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Andy B
Reviewed February 26, 2013

3 generations of my family have stayed here and it is my favorite place to stay in Islamorada. It's like an seeing an old friend every time i pull in to the place. The grounds have gotten more developed over the years and the rates have gotten more expensive but i always look forward to my stay there.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been going here for years, and though they have had some rough times with the staff in the past, everything seems to be rolling smoothly now. The bayside views are great, and I love the heated pool! I'm headed down again in a few weeks, so I will update this review then. I usually stay in 15 or 16, both have been updated with new kitchens and are close to the water.
Most relaxing vacation ever!

Room Tip: Check out the website for views of the rooms, but I prefer 15 or 16.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have been staying at the Kon-Tiki for over a decade now. We drive down from Fort Lauderdale for long weekends. They have a sheltered boat basin for up to a 21Ft boat. The ramp is a bit tricky so launch at high tide. NO CHARGE to keep you boat there if your staying the weekend. The rooms are kept very nice. If you have been to the Keys you'll know how hard it is to find a clean resort that does not cost you a months pay for a weekend! The staff are very friendly and do their best to take care of the guests. The pool is heated and there is a fire pit by the marina for a fire after sunset. We'll be back again and again...

Room Tip: Rooms that face the bay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chuck H
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My family and I returned to
Kon-Tiki for another fabulous weekend getaway. My two children fished off the dock and swung in the hammocks the whole time.
I feel very safe letting them run around without worrying.
This is a very family place. I've come down to Kon tiki a few times and the atmosphere is always very family friendly.
We stayed in 15. It has a full kitchen, was very clean and comfortable.
The Boat ramp is very easy to get your boat in and out and lots of space to park your trailer. The tiki hut at the end of the dock is a beautiful place to watch the sunsets, the hammocks are a great place to lay and stare at the stars. We were there the weekend of the metoer Shower. I sat out by the lagoon until around 1am with a few other guests.
We had a fantastic, memorable time and can't wait to come back for Thanksgiving with my parents.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at the Kon Tiki on a whim, driving by we stopped for the night. We were able to check in early and went to the room. Our room was a small room but modern and clean. It was just as nice as room we paid $100.00 more for the night before. We were pleased! My husband snorkeled in the lagoon (lots of algae but he had fun). The staff was very friendly, getting us ice and giving my husband cat food to feed the fish. I laid in the hammock while my husband snorkeled. We will definitely be back and stay for longer!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19, a small but modern room with a double bed. It was very quiet and nice for the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple