“NICE HOTEL! CLEAN! GOOD RATES.. Friendly Staff.”
Review of Kon-Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Kon-Tiki Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Stuart, Florida
“NICE HOTEL! CLEAN! GOOD RATES.. Friendly Staff.”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have been staying at the Kon-Tiki for over a decade now. We drive down from Fort Lauderdale for long weekends. They have a sheltered boat basin for up to a 21Ft boat. The ramp is a bit tricky so launch at high tide. NO CHARGE to keep you boat there if your staying the weekend. The rooms are kept very nice. If you have been to the Keys you'll know how hard it is to find a clean resort that does not cost you a months pay for a weekend! The staff are very friendly and do their best to take care of the guests. The pool is heated and there is a fire pit by the marina for a fire after sunset. We'll be back again and again...

Room Tip: Rooms that face the bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chuck H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My family and I returned to
Kon-Tiki for another fabulous weekend getaway. My two children fished off the dock and swung in the hammocks the whole time.
I feel very safe letting them run around without worrying.
This is a very family place. I've come down to Kon tiki a few times and the atmosphere is always very family friendly.
We stayed in 15. It has a full kitchen, was very clean and comfortable.
The Boat ramp is very easy to get your boat in and out and lots of space to park your trailer. The tiki hut at the end of the dock is a beautiful place to watch the sunsets, the hammocks are a great place to lay and stare at the stars. We were there the weekend of the metoer Shower. I sat out by the lagoon until around 1am with a few other guests.
We had a fantastic, memorable time and can't wait to come back for Thanksgiving with my parents.

• Stayed October 2012
Sanford
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at the Kon Tiki on a whim, driving by we stopped for the night. We were able to check in early and went to the room. Our room was a small room but modern and clean. It was just as nice as room we paid $100.00 more for the night before. We were pleased! My husband snorkeled in the lagoon (lots of algae but he had fun). The staff was very friendly, getting us ice and giving my husband cat food to feed the fish. I laid in the hammock while my husband snorkeled. We will definitely be back and stay for longer!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19, a small but modern room with a double bed. It was very quiet and nice for the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My family goes to Islamorada every year, sometimes twice a year. Very fortunate to live only 1 hour away. We prefer to stay on the Bayside for the sunsets and often calmer waters. This was our second time at the Kon Tiki. The staff was just as rude on the phone booking reservations as they were the previous year. The property looked just the same as the year before-perfect. The rooms for the Florida Keys are about as good as they get. Seriously in the Keys you are satisfied with a working toilet and running water. The rooms are spacious and clean with great A/C- this is important after all day in the sun and water. The pool is one of the best we have found, large and maintained. **********That was all the good........

Upon arrival we were greated by the Golf Cart Nazi- he never asked if we needed help or greeted us, all he wanted to do was write down our license plate number. Then he left only to return every 3 minutes on his patrol to verify our license plate number. Every car that came in he would do the same. So much for relaxing it made you feel nervouse like something was wrong. I asked him what the reason for high alert was and if we needed to be concerned. His very abrasive response was people come and park here. Really they just come and park there?? Right outside our unit in the base of a plam tree some bees decided to take up residence, I'm talking something right out of discovery channel. No problem we did what anyone would do and ask the front desk if they wouldn't mind having maintenance spray them. The lady just looked at me and my 6 month pregnant wife as if we were asking for her first born. After a stare down she said someone will be there. I'm a resonable person but when you have small children and you are a guest at any place you would think it would be a priority if nothing more than common sense to handle this situation. About an hour later here comes maintenance with a can of something, he battled the bees for a good hour. Was kind of comical he was working while the parking lot Nazi just stared at him offering no assistance, until a car came in and he would speed off to get the license plate. The boat ramp was also fun to deal with, if you wanted to put your boat in the water you have to wait for the Golf Cart Commando to show up with the keys to the pad lock to undo the enormous chain that was draped accross the ramp. Launching the Kayak proved to be dangerous due to the chain, getting the boat in the water took an additional 15 minutes to track down the Golf Cart Key Cammando to remove the chain, pulling the boat out was an additional 20 minutes of waiting as well.

I can honestly say the property and the rooms are great, however between the terrible customer service and constant surveillance it was not a relaxing trip. I highly recommend Atlantic Bay or La Jolla- the staff are friendly, helpfull, and are only there to assist. After check in you hardly ever see anyone. They are avaiable and if you do happen to come by a staff member they greet you with a smile- Enjoying a family vacation doesn't involve terrible customer service.

Room Tip: My advice is to stay somewhere else, trust me Kon Tiki Staff and Vacation don't go together.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Kevin M
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I'll start with the pros, the grounds were well maintained, the pool was heated beautifully, the snorkeling lagoon was awesome, the boat ramp and dockage were easily accessible, the sunset view from the end of the pier was breathtaking, kids and I caught mangrove snapper and tarpon off the dock, rooms were just ok but clean, close to lots of restaurants and shops (which in the Keys is important), beautiful grill area with hammocks and shuffleboard by the pool with hibiscus flowers.........sounds lovely right?......... Then you have to talk to the management........oh my word these people are like mean drill sergeants!! From making the reservation, all the way to check out and 14 times in between they were rude! It's just such a shame because we live only an hour away and are in Islamorada regularly so one not so great stay doesn't ruin "The Keys" for us but if you are coming from Illinois and staying a week like our friends at the pool, I feel truly bad that our tourists are being treated this way!! Come on, we are there for fun and sun, not "condo commando" type management spoiling our time! Our bathroom sink was also broken as well as the lamp in the bedroom, the view from our "cottage" was of a concrete wall and trash. Has such potential to be a little tropical oasis behind the two units we had! You had to buy your ice.....and they only accepted cash. They charge $75 for a lost key, so hang onto it. No guests allowed, no pets. We counted down the minutes until 7 because that's when fun-suckers 1 and 2 left for the day! I reallllly hope the owners read this and take it into consideration! Staying at a very popular resort right up the road in 2 weeks, can't wait to compare! Email me and I'll tell you where! Aloha Kontki, tighten your ship!

Room Tip: Cottages are much nicer than standard rooms.1,2,3,4,5 are all nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kayasmomma
DEXTERIslamorada, Office staff at Kon-Tiki Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Yes, our management team and office staff have to talk to all potential guests from the time of making the initial reservation and during the check-in process. Throughout the course of making any and all reservations via telephone or in person, in order to avoid any confusion or missunderstanding, our simple policies and resort rules are explained to each and every potential guest. While Mr. and Mrs.D. were making their reservation by telephone for unit # 25, Mrs.D. asked if our resort was pet friendly and she was told that we do not allow pets in any of our rooms and also that each room has a given maximum occupancy.

It is a shame that some people choose to distort and omit facts in their comments relative to their stay at our resort. While Mr.D. was checking in, he was informed that check out time is at 11AM. Mr.D. asked if we had a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign that he could hang onto the ouside of the unit door because his young daughter has diabetes and was on special medication and he did not want house-keeping to disturb her or to clean their room. Mr. D. signed our check-in sheet which clearly states that there would be a $ 100.00 charge if any pets are found in their room.

They also states in their comments that the bathroom sink and a bedroom lamp were broken and that we charged them $ 75.00 for alost key . How ironic , we were never informed that there were any issues in their room during their stay. Mr. and Mrs. D. failed to mention in their comments that they had two dogs in their room during their stay and they also had another couple with two children with them each day and they were not charged any additional resort fees for their guests.

While they were preparing to leave at 12:45 PM , we physically saw Mr. D. carrying a dog that was inside a pet carrier and he was putting it into his truck, and right after that , we observed him trying to put the second dog into his truck which was covered in one of our bath towels. We confronted Mr D. about having the dogs and he was very apologetic about that. Mr. D. was told that he would be charged $ 100.00 for having the dogs in the room and he again apologized and said that he understands and he signed the credit card invoice for that specific charge. Furthermore , we charged Mr. D. $ 25.00 and not $ 75.00 for the lost key . We have two separate credit card invoices for the additional charges signed by Mr. D. If a key happens to get lost by a guest , we always change the key and lock cylinder in order to preserve our guest's security. This was the first time in 18 months that we had to charge anyone a lost key fee.

Kon Tiki Resort Staff.
Fort
Reviewed June 4, 2012

So disappointed with Kon Tiki! We went down with a group of 25 people to honor our friends father who passed away. It was his wish that we all get together in the Keys and celebrate his life... There were friends and family members coming in from hours away and those of us there had about 5 rooms booked. We were told that our guests were not allowed to stay, that they coupldn't park, and that if we didn't fix it then they would be forced to....??? The "guy" manager walked around like a drill sergeant as if trying to catch us doing something wrong! We had children with us who were very well behaved, and we were in disbelief when they informed our friend that they would have to charge them extra for her 11 month old daughter and her 4 year old daughter to stay in the room, as they are only 2 person occupancy. Rooms with multiple beds and pull out couches are only intended for two people???? They really felt the need to charge for two kids under the age of 5 years??? At check out time the manager walked around and knocked on all our doors to hurry us along....we couldn't believe this! And to top it off I lost one of our two room keys, NOT a card or high tech piece of technology, a metal key, and they charged us an additional $75.00 for it! Looking back I should have just gone up the road to the hardware store and had another one cut! All in all, out of the 25 people there, NOT A SINGLE ONE WILL EVER GO BACK THERE! They should be ashamed of their behavior. As for the lady at the desk...she was just a piece of work! Clearly they all went to the same school of bad attitudes!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Niki B
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Let me start with I have been to the KonTiki for over 25 yrs, No bull. I have always loved the place becuz it is a hidden gem. I have stayed away over the last three yrs becuz of management. When I am in the keys I don't need to be pestered by employees that don't have a clue and run not a tight ship! I was here with four fishing friends and I was really surprised. The grounds and rooms were the best I have seen in yrs. When the rains came, Ray got a bucket and started baling my boat out before it almost sank. The wealth was the pits and I believe another boat sank as well. The boat ramp is still really great and we we able to launch a nd retrieve a 23 ft boat with a float on trailer, with no worries. The pool is now heated and was almost like a spa pool! The shuffle board courts have even been painted. By the pool are two really great grills. The have really good covers and you can cook on indirect heat if you a grill master like me. The place is really great now and the management seems to work like a TEAM. SO, the Kon Tiki is back! Two thumbs up!

Stayed April 2012