“Fire the people running Kontiki and we will be back!!”
Review of Kon-Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Kon-Tiki Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I'll start with the pros, the grounds were well maintained, the pool was heated beautifully, the snorkeling lagoon was awesome, the boat ramp and dockage were easily accessible, the sunset view from the end of the pier was breathtaking, kids and I caught mangrove snapper and tarpon off the dock, rooms were just ok but clean, close to lots of restaurants and shops (which in the Keys is important), beautiful grill area with hammocks and shuffleboard by the pool with hibiscus flowers.........sounds lovely right?......... Then you have to talk to the management........oh my word these people are like mean drill sergeants!! From making the reservation, all the way to check out and 14 times in between they were rude! It's just such a shame because we live only an hour away and are in Islamorada regularly so one not so great stay doesn't ruin "The Keys" for us but if you are coming from Illinois and staying a week like our friends at the pool, I feel truly bad that our tourists are being treated this way!! Come on, we are there for fun and sun, not "condo commando" type management spoiling our time! Our bathroom sink was also broken as well as the lamp in the bedroom, the view from our "cottage" was of a concrete wall and trash. Has such potential to be a little tropical oasis behind the two units we had! You had to buy your ice.....and they only accepted cash. They charge $75 for a lost key, so hang onto it. No guests allowed, no pets. We counted down the minutes until 7 because that's when fun-suckers 1 and 2 left for the day! I reallllly hope the owners read this and take it into consideration! Staying at a very popular resort right up the road in 2 weeks, can't wait to compare! Email me and I'll tell you where! Aloha Kontki, tighten your ship!

Room Tip: Cottages are much nicer than standard rooms.1,2,3,4,5 are all nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kayasmomma
DEXTERIslamorada, Office staff at Kon-Tiki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Yes, our management team and office staff have to talk to all potential guests from the time of making the initial reservation and during the check-in process. Throughout the course of making any and all reservations via telephone or in person, in order to avoid any confusion or missunderstanding, our simple policies and resort rules are explained to each and every potential guest. While Mr. and Mrs.D. were making their reservation by telephone for unit # 25, Mrs.D. asked if our resort was pet friendly and she was told that we do not allow pets in any of our rooms and also that each room has a given maximum occupancy.

It is a shame that some people choose to distort and omit facts in their comments relative to their stay at our resort. While Mr.D. was checking in, he was informed that check out time is at 11AM. Mr.D. asked if we had a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign that he could hang onto the ouside of the unit door because his young daughter has diabetes and was on special medication and he did not want house-keeping to disturb her or to clean their room. Mr. D. signed our check-in sheet which clearly states that there would be a $ 100.00 charge if any pets are found in their room.

They also states in their comments that the bathroom sink and a bedroom lamp were broken and that we charged them $ 75.00 for alost key . How ironic , we were never informed that there were any issues in their room during their stay. Mr. and Mrs. D. failed to mention in their comments that they had two dogs in their room during their stay and they also had another couple with two children with them each day and they were not charged any additional resort fees for their guests.

While they were preparing to leave at 12:45 PM , we physically saw Mr. D. carrying a dog that was inside a pet carrier and he was putting it into his truck, and right after that , we observed him trying to put the second dog into his truck which was covered in one of our bath towels. We confronted Mr D. about having the dogs and he was very apologetic about that. Mr. D. was told that he would be charged $ 100.00 for having the dogs in the room and he again apologized and said that he understands and he signed the credit card invoice for that specific charge. Furthermore , we charged Mr. D. $ 25.00 and not $ 75.00 for the lost key . We have two separate credit card invoices for the additional charges signed by Mr. D. If a key happens to get lost by a guest , we always change the key and lock cylinder in order to preserve our guest's security. This was the first time in 18 months that we had to charge anyone a lost key fee.

Kon Tiki Resort Staff.

There are newer reviews for Kon-Tiki Resort

Reviewed June 4, 2012

So disappointed with Kon Tiki! We went down with a group of 25 people to honor our friends father who passed away. It was his wish that we all get together in the Keys and celebrate his life... There were friends and family members coming in from hours away and those of us there had about 5 rooms booked. We were told that our guests were not allowed to stay, that they coupldn't park, and that if we didn't fix it then they would be forced to....??? The "guy" manager walked around like a drill sergeant as if trying to catch us doing something wrong! We had children with us who were very well behaved, and we were in disbelief when they informed our friend that they would have to charge them extra for her 11 month old daughter and her 4 year old daughter to stay in the room, as they are only 2 person occupancy. Rooms with multiple beds and pull out couches are only intended for two people???? They really felt the need to charge for two kids under the age of 5 years??? At check out time the manager walked around and knocked on all our doors to hurry us along....we couldn't believe this! And to top it off I lost one of our two room keys, NOT a card or high tech piece of technology, a metal key, and they charged us an additional $75.00 for it! Looking back I should have just gone up the road to the hardware store and had another one cut! All in all, out of the 25 people there, NOT A SINGLE ONE WILL EVER GO BACK THERE! They should be ashamed of their behavior. As for the lady at the desk...she was just a piece of work! Clearly they all went to the same school of bad attitudes!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Niki B
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Let me start with I have been to the KonTiki for over 25 yrs, No bull. I have always loved the place becuz it is a hidden gem. I have stayed away over the last three yrs becuz of management. When I am in the keys I don't need to be pestered by employees that don't have a clue and run not a tight ship! I was here with four fishing friends and I was really surprised. The grounds and rooms were the best I have seen in yrs. When the rains came, Ray got a bucket and started baling my boat out before it almost sank. The wealth was the pits and I believe another boat sank as well. The boat ramp is still really great and we we able to launch a nd retrieve a 23 ft boat with a float on trailer, with no worries. The pool is now heated and was almost like a spa pool! The shuffle board courts have even been painted. By the pool are two really great grills. The have really good covers and you can cook on indirect heat if you a grill master like me. The place is really great now and the management seems to work like a TEAM. SO, the Kon Tiki is back! Two thumbs up!

Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank 6digityachtclub
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The cons first...the room was no frills, but we knew that - no hair dryer or shampoos, no cups, and we could only get one tv channel to work...the water was hard to get started in the sink, and the shower ran (a hot and heavenly) full force...but...the pros...we weren't there for the water or the cups etc. Everyone who says the pictures don't do it justice are correct; don't make the mistake of going to your room and judging before you have walked to the water. This place was a retreat; we had dinner (carry out pizza and some bottles of wine)by the water with the sunset and later the stars, sat outside for three + hours and ended looking at the stars from the hammock. Family friendly but also couples friendly. Just peaceful, even with a lot of kids around. It is the perfect halfway point between Key West and Miami if you are flying in/out of there.

Room Tip: We had room 24; up by the road but traffic noise was not a problem at all.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank urbanagrl
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Had a couple, not staying with us, over to visit us during the day and the staff said they were not welcome. What is that?!? Its not as if they were staying in our room. They simply joined us at the pool. My family and I have been coming for years and I've never heard of such a thing. It's not like we were a bunch of partying kids. I demanded our money back and left. Never be back again!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Seareed
Reviewed March 10, 2012

So we needed a place to stay for wedding that we were attending the first weekend of March. As usual I started my research online and asking around about nice, yet affordable places to stay. Of course I hit up tripadvisor.com to analyze any suggestions I got and that's what really helped to make my decision for the perfect place for our visit to Islamorada. So Thanks to everyone for posting your reviews!

I called about 2 months in advance and they only had 1 room available so make your reservations early. There are only 23 units total, but that made for a more personal and quaint visit. We hardly saw anyone on Friday and very view guest on Saturday. The staff was very helpful and polite and were also rarely seen, but always available when needed. We had been assigned room #5 over the phone, but when we arrived we were pleased to learn we had been upgraded to room #3 which is just a little bit closer to the water. "Barbara" and "George" were there when we checked in and couldn't have made us feel more welcome.

The grounds were spotless and I started taking pictures right away. The "cottages" were adorable and super clean with just enough space for us. The screened in porch facing the water got a lot of use and the living room, kitchen, bathroom and bed room were very comfortable and inviting. The bathrooms had plenty of towels and the kitchen was fully stocked with any thing you need to prepare and enjoy a meal.

We immediately changed clothes and jumped in one of the hammocks in the palms by the water and soaked in the gentle breeze and beautiful sunshine. We eventually made it in the cool, but comfortable lagoon then the clean heated pool. The wildlife was abundant with plenty of small fish in the lagoon as well as plenty of egrets and pelicans to watch fly around and catch their dinner.

Unfortunately we only stayed two nights and spent most of the evenings at another resort where the wedding and other friends were staying for the weekend. When we were at Kon Tiki it was very quiet and felt like we were coming home each time we returned. We even got a game of shuffle board in!

We will defiantly be back and will suggest this lovely gem to all of our friends.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-6 are basically 3 duplex units right on the water with the best view. I will stay in one of...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kyle Y
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed two nights in Feb and enjoyed our stay. The grounds were lovely, well maintained. This is a great place to relax, and enjoy a quiet hour in the hammocks. The room was clean, and that is very important to me. I would recomend the Kon Tiki Resort to anyone lookng for a relaxing simple place to stay at a great price.

Room Tip: stayed in number 7 and had a wonderful view of the water and grounds
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple