“great place to stay”
Review of Kon-Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Islamorada
Kon-Tiki Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
fla
“great place to stay”
Reviewed January 28, 2008

What a great place!!! the grounds are so nice and very quit, The room was nice room 12 it was like a hotel room just what we wanted they have all kinds of rooms some with kitchens if your looking for a place to stay for a week this is the place.

The price was great and we had our boat and they don't charge you extra to dock it, the dock is very nice. if you have a boat this is one of the best places I have seen.

The staff was great and the housekeeping was really good they cleaned our room everyday.
The hotel is near all the great places to eat and drink, we were very happy with our stay.. and will be back .

• Liked — the room and the grounds the dock
  • Disliked — some ants in the room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank btaylorFla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Kansas City
Reviewed December 7, 2007

We have been coming to the Kon Tiki for years. Every year the managers attitudes are worse but the prices keep going up! It starts with the managment, they are un-freindly with no hospitality or customer service skills. We feel like year after year that they could care less that we are the customer. This last time the boat docks were so crowded and not once did managment come out to ask if we needed help finding or locating a spot for the boat, it was so crowded someone should have been supervising the dock. Also we had two apartments we rented both had scorpions. Several of the scorpions were in the closets and the bathrooms. When we reported it to the manager the responce was "thats the Keys." No joke...we having been coming to the keys for 30 years and Kon Tiki has never been this bad. I gladly would pay 200.00 a night for a hotel worth that price (we paid more then that that to stay this year) but Kon Tiki is not worth it. Some one needs to remind them that people expect to pay less when they stay at a "mom and pop" operation, gouging eventually will catch up with you. Sadly after all these years we will not be returning to Kon Tiki again. There are other beautiful resorts like Kon Tiki that would love to have our business for less money and maybe they would be happy to see us!.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank GipperKansasCity
PA
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Returning home from a 4 day fishing trip to Islamorada was such a bummer! The best fishing spot on the East Coast has to be the waters surrounding Islamorada. My accomodations at the Kon Tiki Resort were just perfect. Not the Ritz, but very comfortable and clean and just what I was looking for. This was not my first stay at this resort and I will be back again. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The grounds are very well maintained and the staff is always helpful. We did have one or two minor problems in our room but when we reported them to the office they were fixed within the hour. Thank You Kon Tiki for another wonderful vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS: Just love the fact that there are restaurants within walking distance, nice to have a few beers and be able to walk back to the hotel.

• Liked — Friendly and professional staff, clean rooms and grounds
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Keyslover
jupiter
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I just enjoyed my 25th straight year at the Kon Tiki Resort. My husband and his family have been going to the Kon Tiki for about 40 years. We have raised our family of 3 boys with summers at the Kon Tiki. There is no place better to chill out and relax. Very casual atmosphere. Great fishing. The pool was a nice addition about 10 years ago. The only negatives are that you pay for an apartment, but they charge you $15 per night for children over 10.

When I started at the Kon Tiki it was really rustic. It is much more modern now. Maybe by next year they will get wireless internet !
The management staff comes and goes. In the "old days' the staff felt like family.

• Liked — laid back, boat docks and pool
  • Disliked — Charge for teenagers
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jupiter33469
Tampa, FL
Reviewed August 13, 2007

My family and I have been vacationing at Kon Tiki Resort since 1996. I have been going there long enough to see a fair share of property and office managers come and go over the last 11yrs. Kon Tiki is now under new management and the changes are breath taking! The grounds are imaculant and landscaped beautifly. The staff is not only friendly but extremely caring and helpful. This is the 1st time in 11yrs. that I have seen the staff out and about talking with the guests. It made me feel like this is just what this small and personal resort needed, someone to care. I have truely enjoyed my visits to this inviting establishment.

Over the yrs. I have been able to talk with the cleaning staff at Kon Tiki. These are extremely hard working woman. At times cleaning more than 20 units a day. (I know I could not do it!!!) These are some of the most loving, and caring woman you will ever meet in your life! Next time you visit Kon Tiki, look for Kerrin (cleaning staff). You are sure to walk away smiling after a conversation with her.

Overall, the entire Kon Tiki staff is what helped make my vacation a wonderful experience. And I might add, I had my toddler daughter with me and was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Not many people or places could have made me happy at that point.... but Kon Tiki and the their staff did.

• Liked — Its new updated, tropical look and the new staff.
  • Disliked — That I had to go home at the end of my stay:(
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank neaiken
Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2007

First off, i must say that i live in South Florida and i go to the Keys quite often. After reading a couple of the other reviews, i just have to laugh because i'm not quite sure what some people are expecting driving south of the Last Chance Saloon. The Ritz, The Omni??? Give me a break. People go to the Keys because they are the Keys. Everything is old, everything is plain and simple. You aren't supposed to sit in your hotel room and watch tv...you are in the Keys. You are supposed to be outside all day long, with a drink in one hand and a camera in the other (because you never know what kind of stuff you might see) having fun. The place you stay is supposed to be a place to lay your head down at the end of the night. That is what i expect when i go to the Keys.

With that said, i looked online, called about 20 different places trying to find availability and finally ended up booking Kon Tiki over the phone about a week prior to Memorial Day and i spoke to a very nice gentleman who gave me their last 2 rooms, #18 was mine and #17 was our friends. They were all the way in the back, up against the road...which i was a little worried about. We arrived late at night (11PM) and picked up our keys in the office mailbox and went in search of our house which we found without a problem. We opened the door to the screened patio and to our surprise, the place was very spacious and clean. Furniture was older (which i expected) but very comfy. The bathroom had been redone. Our friend's room turned out to be adjoining. Both places were 1 bedrooms which worked out just perfect. The only complaint were these "black slugs" as we liked to call them in various places on the floor inside and on the outside patio...but again, you are in the Keys, where there are many bugs.

The next morning we woke up and took a walk of the grounds and i must admit, it was beautiful. Very clean, very well kept. We trailered our boat, so we put that in the water with ease. When booking the gentleman told me there was no assigned boat slips to keep your boat overnight, but that it was first come first serve-which again made me worry. But after returning later on, we found the dockage to be ample and had no problems, especially during one of the busiest weekends around.

Kon Tiki has a very nice lagoon with lots of different fish-even a little shark, they have a pool-granted it wasn't fancy, but very clean, there was shuffleboard and hammocks and ample parking for trailers.

The location is on the Bay side which again i would have prefered the Ocean side since the purpose of the weekend was to go to the sandbar. But just a simple drive north and you arrive at the sandbar within 20 minutes. Our friends brought their jet skis and i was told at check-in that they don't allow jet skis on property, but that wasn't a problem either as there are other places close by that you can launch them as well. If you are looking for some good eats, be sure to check out Bentley's (my favorite) or Uncle's, both within a couple miles. Conveniently located down the street is the Trading Post which is where we stocked up on food and drinks for the weekend. And it turned out that we couldn't hear any road noise at night-so that made me very happy. One cool thing i found in each room is multiple diaries of the past people that have stayed in your room and their experiences. Pretty neat to sit down and read it for a little while.

Personally, if i go to the Keys again, i would definitely stay at Kon Tiki. Like i said before, i don't know what people expect when they hit the Keys, but maybe those people who complain should turn their car around and go home and stop clogging up US 1.

Thanks Kon Tiki...we will be back again soon.

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — The little black worms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Purduegolf1
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed April 25, 2007

If you are expecting a laid back property, clean but of an era on independant hotels in the Keys, this is it. It looks like it was built in the 60's and other than good maintainance, nothing much has changed. Its old Florida, not a Hampton Inn or a mega resort. Bring friends, a laid back attitude and appreciate the Keys before it's gone. The rooms were clean, bathrooms a bit small, staff polite and the dockage for your boat very good. The Kon Tiki faces the Gulf, and the pool is on that side. It has a lot of tropical foilage surrounding the hotel, washed rock parking areas, and a few cranes hoping that lucky fishermen will feed them.

As soon as I find their number, I am making another reservation for the weekend.

Stayed July 2006