“Eclectic and private.”

Ranked #7 of 11 Islamorada B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Eclectic and private.”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in a smaller room that shared an outside bathroom with other friendly guests that we met from Ft. Lauderdale. The room is cozy and nicely decorated. Outside of the sliding door is a nice water fountain and patio where we were served delicious omelettes some pastries, and hot coffee. There are a lot of movies and reading material offered up by the owner. The pool and gardens will keep you busy for hours so you do not have to leave the property. There are a lot of whimisical things to look at on the property which made Casa Thorn unlike any other place in the keys that we stayed at before. Friendly owner, friendly staff, and the cutest little terrier I have ever laid my eyes on. We will be back next year and will bring our dog this time. Thanks for our great relaxing weekend Thorn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OhioManiac

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

It isn't "perfect". It is very "Keys". They accept dogs that are friendly and have an easy going attitude. I would stay there again. The room I stayed in was very small for $80.00 plus 13 percent tax. They take debit or credit cards

Breakfast is simply Danish and coffee!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Kellysocal
ThornIslamorada, Owner at Casa Thorn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
hi kelly
first i'd like to thank you for the review. you were lovely guests and i am so sorry about breakfast.
thats not acceptable here. hollie is new here and made that decision without checking with me.
it won't happen again. thanks again for letting me know. i do hope to see you both again and you can be sure you will get a full breakfast. thorn
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The rooms are beautiful. We stayed in the Morroccan Room which is very exotically decorated. We felt like we were the only two people on earth. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. When we left, they were very concerned if we had a good stay and took great interest in our feedback. This is not your typical B and B and caters to the more discerning taste. Five star treatment all the way. Looking forward to our trip back! Thank you Thorn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tony K
Boston
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My fiancee and I recently spent a night (only one unfortunately) on our way back to Ft. Lauderdale from Key West. I had reserved the room as a surprise for her, and it very much exceeded my expectations.

Casa Thorn is a great little hideaway in Islamorada, tucked off the main road. Thorn herself is a very friendly woman who has a truly amazing taste in collectibles/art. I don't consider myself one to exaggerate, but we stayed in the Moroccan Room, and the decor in it is incredible. When you first walk in, there is a huge four post bed that has amazingly intricate carvings on the frame, and appears to be made out of a very exotic dark wood. It gives off the vibe of being in an exotic Middle Eastern country, hence I guess the name Moroccan room.

Going further into the room, you will notice other very unique and interesting pieces. And I mean unique in the best possible way, much of the furniture/art pieces in the room feel like they came from a palace in Asia. It just feels very exotic.

The bathroom is again amazing. There is a huge tub, with whirlpool jets (why I wanted that room in the first place), surrounded by mirrors on 3 sides and a chandelier overhead. Again, more interesting/exotic art in the room. I'm not one for pictures, my fiancee is usually the one documenting our adventures, but I felt the need the morning we left to spend 10 minutes going around the place and taking pictures. There was just a feel to it that I have never experienced in a hotel/bed&breakfast anywhere, and honestly I'm not sure you'd find something like elsewhere. Oh, and even the ceilings themselves are these impressively thick and elegant wooden beams. You have to see those in person I think to appreciate.

One other very nice touch I'd like to mention is the breakfast. The man who takes care of the grounds, and I'm sure other things as well, also makes a made to order breakfast in the morning. My fiancee and I woke up, and having been informed the previous night of what to do, I took a walk by the pool over to the main room. After saying a hello, I was asked what we wanted for breakfast, and given some ideas. I thought some blueberry pancakes and eggs sounded great, and some tea. He let me know that they'd be ready shortly, and that he'd bring them to the private patio table outside our room. We had some truly delicious pancakes, and you can't beat that for service. It was very much appreciated.

As far as value goes, sure it isn't exactly cheap. But to honest, it seems about nothing on the Keys is. I had looked at a number of other places before booking here, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I could save $50 a night and stay at what I'm sure is a perfectly nice bed/breakfast, but you could pay that $50 and stay in a place that is unlike any place I've ever seen and enjoy a romantic and very unique experience.

All in all, a very excellent and unique place run by some very nice people. I plan on coming back to the Keys at some point in my life, and when I do, I plan on staying here more than one night.

Room Tip: The Moroccan Room was an experience like none other. If you want to spend a little more, stay here...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ryan S
Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend and greatly enjoyed our experience. The staff was wonderful, so friendly and accomodating, and breakfast was delicious! It was wonderful to sit at our own little dining area in the morning and have freshly-cooked breakfast brought to us. The pool and courtyard area are really beautiful. I would definitely recommend this place to others rather then a hotel--- much more charming and full of character.

Room Tip: The Moroccan room and Honeymoon Suite are beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda T
Sparta, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I took a few days to go down to the keys (without the kids)..!! Not knowing the area at all, I did a lot of research and hunting for a great & affordable place to stay. It took a while, but when i came across Casa Thorn online I was excited.. We had never stayed at a B&B before, and were not really sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. Loved the fact that each room had their own entrance and private breakfast nooks outside the rooms. Originally I had only booked 2 nights in the Moroccan room. Well after 2 nights, we did not want to leave!! The room was very spacious with a GREAT king size bed. The bathroom was huge with a very nice jacuzzi to relax in.. White robes & wine glasses already in the room. Also had a fridge & microwave which was very convenient. In the morning we were served with a great breakfast & coffee. There is a pool (which was pretty cold), but did not stop us from jumping in! Then we would head up to the private sun deck to lay out. I must say that the entire time we are there, we felt as if we were the only ones. If you are looking for a private & quiet getaway, this is the place for you. The night before we checked out, I had inquired about staying another night. Unfortunately, our room was already booked. Lucky for us the Secret Garden room was available. We ended up moving to that room to stay another night. That room was also a really great room. Totally different style. Very nice with 2 private entrances to the room as you will see in my pics. Very unique... As far as the staff goes, everyone is very friendly, polite, & accommodating. Jennifer also gave some great recommendations on things to do & where to eat. Marker 88 & Kaiyo Grill were excellent.. They will also give you a guest pass for Founders Park which is just down the street.. Very nice for packing a lunch, walking around looking at boats, and relaxing by their heated pool. It also has a private sandy lagoon area to swim.. I could go on & on about things to do and see, but really you should just see for yourself. We were looking for romantic, private, and peaceful, and thats what we got. Thank you Thorn. We would definitely come back.. -Elaine & Jason T.

Room Tip: Looking for romantic and very private, The Secret Garden is perfect. Looking for big and a little bi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 0ElaineT329
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

DISCLAIMER: I review accommodations on a value-for-cost basis. For example, it baffles me when people book a Motel 6 for $50 then criticize it for not being like a $500/night Ritz Carlton. When I stay at a $50 hotel because I'm traveling on business and keeping expenses low, if it is clean, safe, comfortable, and friendly, that is "Excellent" for the price by my standards. If I splurge on vacation and spend $150/night and get the exact same cleanliness, safety, comfort, and hospitality, the rating goes down to "Average". For three times more, it is reasonable to expect more like new decor, comfortable bedding, and amenities like coffee machine or pool. Since this property is priced in the moderately high to high range, I am holding it to a high standard.

We received a pleasant greeting front the friendly staff. Miss Thorn is a nice lady. The reviews on here stating people left as soon as seeing the place are completely unjustified and way overblown. This is a nice, quiet B&B. I wonder if those reviewers would be happy at ANY property.

Much was written about the decor in other reviews. We were greeted by an full size camel out front (Arabian feel), inside there were Turkish lamps, by the pool was a full size Egyptian sarcophagus, next to it Greek looking sculpture with a random, lifesize pink pig in the middle. The B&B would do better to stick with one unified theme but the decor was eclectic, possibly eccentric at worse. Reviews calling it "tacky" are unwarranted. The mini-waterfall was beautiful and the seating areas inviting and relaxing.

We received the personal touch one would expect from a B&B with excellent recommendations of Sunrise Cafe for breakfast, M.E.A.T. Tap Room for dinner, a good place to watch the sunset and the best local beach. Miss Thorn offered to extend our checkout time to noon without me even asking when choppy seas canceled our diving plans and we scrambling for plan B. On the other hand, the staff dropped the ball by loosing part of our reservation (they didn't expect us the first night). I understand this occasionally happens but it's less excusable since we called the day of to report what time we were arriving and they STILL were surprised when we showed up.

Due to the lost reservation, they were forced upgrade us to the Malaysian room the first night since the Bombay we had booked was occupied. They (properly) honored our Bombay rate. Again, I reference my Disclaimer above. If our entire stay was in the Malaysian at $130 night, this review would be an "Excellent" because we got our money's worth with a clean bath, coffee maker, and microwave in a nice sized room. However, after being displaced to the Bombay room the second night, I cannot say it was a $130 accommodation. I'll tell you what was missing and you can judge for yourself.

The website did state the Bombay shared a bath room. However, it is a huge omission that it doesn't state the bathroom is OUTSIDE down an uncovered walkway. You read right. If you come back from a long beach day and want to shower off the sunscreen and sand before bed and it's pouring rain, you're going to get wet. To boot, the walkway badly needed to be swept from twigs and leaves so bring your sandles.

Ironically the bedding in the cheaper Bombay room was more comfortable than the more expensive Malaysian. I believe it is reasonable to expect comfortable bedding in any room north of $100/night IMHO.

The AC window in both units were louder than the last budget hotel I used and the TV remote volume didn't work so you had to get up and adjust it by hand. Not the end of the world, but easier to look past at a budget inn than a chic B&B.

I have only stayed in a few B&B's but this was the first one that didn't serve backfast till 8 am. We missed it both days because we had to meet the dive boat. I can't say for sure if it's reasonable to expect longer breakfast hours from a Bed & BREAKFAST but this was the narrowest window I have seen. My wife got to try it only because we came back after our dive boat cancelled for weather and she wants me to mention it was good pancakes served personally on the patio rather than cattle call style.

In sum, Casa Thorn is hampered by some things resonable beyond their control (lack of bathrooms, no central air, shortage of parking) and also by some things they could fix (new AC unit, sweep the walkways, water some dying plants, fix TV remote). Would I stay there again? Only if I got feedback via the hotel or other reviews that they had addressed items within their control and lowered their prices a bit to account for items beyond their control.

Casa Thorn is an average-to-good B&B with potential to be an Excellent B&B. Miss Thorn is a sweet lady. I hope this review and others helps her achieve the full potential of her romantic little B&B.

Room Tip: When you book, I would ask Miss Thorn if you could upgrade from a cheaper room to the Malaysian for...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple