“La Siesta is a PERFECT, FAMILY oriented RESORT”

La Siesta Resort & Marina
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Where to begin? Well, we are South Floridians, who regularly travel to the Islamorada/Tavernier areas, a couple times per year. This year, our 'usual' place was booked, so I was forced to look elsewhere for accomodations. Due to our party having 5 adults and 2 small children, the options were slim. Eventually, I found my way to the La Siesta website, read the amenities, and booked the room. Later that day, I checked Tripadvisor, to read the reviews, and I was EXTREMELY CONCERNED, to say the least! (I was actually FREAKING!) But, the reservation was in, and we were heading down the next day, so, there was nothing I could do......

Upon arrival to the property, I was MORE than PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!!!!! The grounds are AMAZING! I was a Horituculture major, prior to my sons birth, and I was LITERALLY in HEAVEN! I even told everyone in our party that I planned on taking some plant cuttings with me before we left, and thanks to Steve, (the AWESOME MANAGER!) I was able to just that! (THANKS again, Steve, the Frangi's are already in soil! BTW, Steve, if you ever need a home for some of your blue Frangi cuttings, I'm your gal!) :-) I NEVER once saw ANY trash around the property, it was truly a TROPICAL OASIS!

Our 'room' was # 107. I would and will reccommend this 'room' to anyone! It is, in fact, not JUST a 'room', but, rather, a 2 story, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, free standing HOUSE! It was SO LARGE (1500 sq feet!), perfect for our group! (A pregnant couple, a single Mom and her 2 yr old son, myself, my fiance', and our 1 yr old son.) The living room, dining room, and kitchen were HUGE! The 2 bathrooms (one up, one down) were KEY! The bedrooms had AMPLE room for our sons play pen and then some! The second bedroom had two doubles, and it easily accomodated the pregnant couple, single Mom and her son. # 107 was SO CHARMING......TOTALLY reminiscant of Old Florida. (The place could use a LITTLE updating, and from what I have been told, it is already in the works!)

When we first arrived, I ran upstairs to check the place out. To my COMPLETE SURPRISE, we had a MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR view from our balcony! (Many years ago, we found a lighthouse, located in the middle of the ocean, by boat. We dropped anchor, and swam over to it. It has a huge platform, about 2 stories above the water, and we climbed the ladder up and dove off! It was AMAZING! My fiance' and I are both into photography, and we took hundreds of pics of that lighthouse, that day, and on some level, we think of it as 'our lighthouse!') Well, I almost DIED when I threw back the curtains and saw OUR LIGHTHOUSE.....RIGHT THERE......directly out from our balcony! WOW! I was overwhelmed by joy, to see it's familiar shape! (Especially since I knew we were boatless this trip, and I did not expect to see it!)

The amenities on the property were PERFECT for ALL of us, and the two boys, ages 1 and 2. The zero entrance pool was exactly what I needed after a day of sun and fun, to relax and unwind. Both boys enjoyed it, thoroughly, including the water slide! Even us 'adults' felt like kids, while flying down it! The 2 yr old also loved the playground! It was the perfect complimentary tool (to the pool) for wearing him out! ;-) His Mama thanks you!

The free continental breakfast was an unexpected delight! It offered not only cereal and milk, but an array of baked goods, juices, coffee, and even hot food! I am NOT a morning person, and I am SO GLAD I took advantage of the breakfast, while enjoying the sunrise around the pool deck! (GREAT idea!)

In response to what some other reviewer wrote about the property, I would like to say this. La Siesta was the PERFECT FAMILY DESTINATION (for us)! It is not a 5 star palace, but, that's WHY the PRICE is RIGHT! If you want 5 stars, GO PAY FOR THEM! If, on the other hand, you want a QUAINT, CLEAN, SUPER friendly, FAMILY -oriented, LAID-Back Keys-style vacation, in the 3-4 star range, THIS IS THE SPOT FOR YOU! Also, I was barefoot the whole time (must be a Florida thing!), and never once felt any sticky parts on the carpet. Likewise, I did bring my own sheets, comforter, pillows, etc, as I ALWAYS do. The bed was not bad at all. I simply covered the whole thing with our sheets, and crashed easily on it! As for the ants, FLORIDA is COVERED in ANTS because Florida (especially COASTAL Florida!) is covered in SAND! We brought a TON of food, and NEVER had ANY ant problems in the kitchen, but, we also didn't leave sugary donuts sitting out! (Next time, maybe put the opened sugary stuff in a ziploc and then in the microwave, just a tip from a Native Floridian!)

The staff was SUPER KIND and I would like to say "THANKS AGAIN" to Keagan, Marilynn, Carolyn, and especially Steve! You all made us feel AT HOME in your home! We loved meeting "Sugar" the barking cockatoo, as well as all the cute kitties who wonder the acres. Oh yeah, YOU CAN BRING YOUR DOGGIES! (I WISH I had known!) We met MANY friendly dogs, even LARGE ONES, not just ankle biters!!!!! Next, time, our 'other son' (Mr. Tyson) will join us, for sure!

We were able to take SO MANY lovely photos while there, at La Siesta, and I am going to include a couple! It was really a photographers (and horticulturalists!) DREAM LOCATION!

Next time we come back, I am getting on that flying machine you all have tied up on it's own dock! Hopefully, we will also be able to take advantage of your cute marina! Oh yeah, as for the beach, it is a TYPICAL, Florida Keys, gravelly beach. The Keys aren't known for their sugar sand beaches, but, that's part of it's charm, too! The water was lovely! MUCH CLEARER than at MANY other Islamorada 'resorts!'

La Siesta was an IDYLLIC, REFRESHING, POSITIVE place to come back to each day after enjoying Keys recreations! We will DEFINITELY be returning!!!! All in all, it was an EXCELLENT TRIP, we WISHED we could have stayed there LONGER!

THANKS AGAIN for making our 2 day trip feel so REJUVINATING!
Amanda and (R.) Kelly Mc.........

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed March 19, 2007

I booked this resort based upon the great pictures and wonderful amenities listed on its website. Unfortunately, I didn't read the reviews on Trip Advisor! I have 2 young toddlers and was looking forward to the safety and convenience of a zero-entry pool. The pool was, indeed, teriffic, but that's about all I found tolerable. The tile around the base of the slide is in terrible shape - cracked, broken and littered with shards of crushed tile. The room wasn't exactly dirty, but was so lived-in and void of updates that I felt quesy sitting on the old couch cushions or walking on the sticky, threadbare carpet w/o shoes. The kitchen tap water was lukewarm, which meant that not only was I unable to get the dishes clean, but so was the person who ate off them before me! There was a hole in the wall behind a door and an electrical outlet cover hanging by a screw, which fell off the first time we used it. One bedroom door stuck when opened, which meant we either had to jam the door every time we opened it or never close it; not practical for a family of six, even in a 2-bedroom unit. The balcony was great, until we discovered that our 2-year old could fit her entire upper body through the wide-set bars. Lastly, on the day before check-out, we found red grease ants covering the box of donuts we'd partially eaten, but closed, the previous day. I know bugs happen, but I don't pay to stay in places that have them! Because of all this, I asked to check-out a few days early w/o losing my deposit, but was never given an answer. Though the outlet cover was immediately replaced, most of the other problems required more extensive work than could be completed during our stay. Our contact with the manager was horrible - he accused us of causing the hole behind the door and tried to charge us $100 for it. When we refused, he called the sheriff to report us for refusing to pay for our room, even though we only refused to pay for the pre-existing damage! Given all of the problems in our room and our horrific treatment from the manager, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Jothryn
Reviewed January 8, 2007

THE ultimate resort !!!Kayaks and canoes included..bikes and fishing poles included..Waterslide etc etc!!!Great place and they even have a building to stay in if you want to bring the dog!!! GREAT PLACE and in the heart of the keys!!!!Bring your boat!!!!!!TAY 2 nights get 2 free I love this place!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank SUZYQCARS
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Booked for a pay 5 stay 7 deal, my wife and I arrived around midnight to a 1 bedroom suite. This so called resort might have been a nice place 15 years ago, but lack of improvement in the room is very evident. First things first, the grounds are beautiful and well kept, thats the only good thing I have to say. Bad things, what appeared to be bed bugs on our pillows, my wife cleaned a 6x6 part of the ceramic floor with a cloth, it was dark brown in seconds. Stove looked like it had not been cleaned for years, no way am I eating anything from that stove. Just so you know we are not picky people and I am sure management will respond with a tale of grumpy guests, please believe me this is not the case. I left after 2 nights, losing my deposit in the process, what should have been a deal at $145. a night, actually cost me $456 for 2 nights, do the math and stay at Azul in Key Largo or my saviour resort, The Islander which I will be reviewing after this.The woman behind the desk took 25 minutes to tally up 2 nights plus my deposit which had already been on my credit card, hence the term deposit. The manager could not be found anywhere and my opinion is if your resort(ha,ha)is in that kind of shape, you know it. I have heard stories of new owners, and nobody is quite sure who is running the place right now, it does not matter, this place is awful, just DONT DO IT !!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2006

Stayed here for one night this Month with my wife and daughter who was on break from college. We were going to stay longer but left after one night. I have read all of the reviews and can say that you must have to know which room to rent. We had a large 1 bedroom with a view of the pool and ocean. The grounds are Exceptionally well maintained and are beautiful, I wish I could say the same for our room. The kitchen looked dirty and there were almost no pots and pans. The beds were the worst I have slept on in years, but the A/C worked great. BE AWARE that there is NO BEACH to swim at here, which their website says that they do have. This is a great place to bring your boat, dock it close to your room and have a great fishing trip with your buddies, but it was lacking a lot for a nice long weekend with the family. The front desk was very accomodating and understood when we left early. Just know what you are booking...we were disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Vero Beach, FL
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I have stayed several times at La Siesta over the past four years and have always been very happy with the property and the manager, Steve. He has made good recommendations to me about local places to dine, etc. and has always been very responsive and accommodating. I highly recommend this resort. It's location and service cannot be beat!

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
washington, dc
Reviewed May 29, 2006

the house has no furniture, no towel racks, we didnt have hot water until 4 days into the trip, and the manager steve was [----] completely rude to everyone in the house, and wouldn't let us talk to the owner or get his name. Didn't send a plumber over to fix the leaking washer/dryer and freezer until 4th day of the trip! the pool and resort were nice however, just stay in the hotel rooms! the previous review must have been posted by steve himself.

• Stayed: May 2006