“Dont Do It!!!!”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
montreal,quebec
“Dont Do It!!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Booked for a pay 5 stay 7 deal, my wife and I arrived around midnight to a 1 bedroom suite. This so called resort might have been a nice place 15 years ago, but lack of improvement in the room is very evident. First things first, the grounds are beautiful and well kept, thats the only good thing I have to say. Bad things, what appeared to be bed bugs on our pillows, my wife cleaned a 6x6 part of the ceramic floor with a cloth, it was dark brown in seconds. Stove looked like it had not been cleaned for years, no way am I eating anything from that stove. Just so you know we are not picky people and I am sure management will respond with a tale of grumpy guests, please believe me this is not the case. I left after 2 nights, losing my deposit in the process, what should have been a deal at $145. a night, actually cost me $456 for 2 nights, do the math and stay at Azul in Key Largo or my saviour resort, The Islander which I will be reviewing after this.The woman behind the desk took 25 minutes to tally up 2 nights plus my deposit which had already been on my credit card, hence the term deposit. The manager could not be found anywhere and my opinion is if your resort(ha,ha)is in that kind of shape, you know it. I have heard stories of new owners, and nobody is quite sure who is running the place right now, it does not matter, this place is awful, just DONT DO IT !!!!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — dont go
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2006

Stayed here for one night this Month with my wife and daughter who was on break from college. We were going to stay longer but left after one night. I have read all of the reviews and can say that you must have to know which room to rent. We had a large 1 bedroom with a view of the pool and ocean. The grounds are Exceptionally well maintained and are beautiful, I wish I could say the same for our room. The kitchen looked dirty and there were almost no pots and pans. The beds were the worst I have slept on in years, but the A/C worked great. BE AWARE that there is NO BEACH to swim at here, which their website says that they do have. This is a great place to bring your boat, dock it close to your room and have a great fishing trip with your buddies, but it was lacking a lot for a nice long weekend with the family. The front desk was very accomodating and understood when we left early. Just know what you are booking...we were disappointed.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and private Marina
  • Disliked — No beach to swim at
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Islamorada hotels

Reviewed July 16, 2006

I have stayed several times at La Siesta over the past four years and have always been very happy with the property and the manager, Steve. He has made good recommendations to me about local places to dine, etc. and has always been very responsive and accommodating. I highly recommend this resort. It's location and service cannot be beat!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2006

the house has no furniture, no towel racks, we didnt have hot water until 4 days into the trip, and the manager steve was [----] completely rude to everyone in the house, and wouldn't let us talk to the owner or get his name. Didn't send a plumber over to fix the leaking washer/dryer and freezer until 4th day of the trip! the pool and resort were nice however, just stay in the hotel rooms! the previous review must have been posted by steve himself.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 3, 2006

We were 3 families traveling to islamorada. We rented the 5 BR house right on the beach on the resort. Our house was nice, clean. We rented a boat and had our own dock. Steve was awesome and worked hard when small things needed to be fixed. Pool was great and the kids spent plenty of time there. Lots of fishing right on site and watching the boats come in is always fun. On the weekends they serve food pool side and the kids loved the slushies.
Make sure you say hello to the bird Sugar. She is everywhere on site. Lots of amazing wildife-fishhawks, egrets, pelicans.
Make sure you eat at Uncles, and Lazy Days as well. And you have to go to Robbies!!! Those tarpen are amazing!!!Sad to hear that LaSiesta will be no more next year. It is awesome.

Stayed March 2003
1 Thank audChicago_IL
Reviewed March 12, 2006

My wife and I along with another couple drove down from Pembroke Pines and were in search of a decent inexpensive place to stay. We passed several "roach motel" types and came across the La Siesta. We pulled in and were imediatly excited by the tropical scenery. We were lucky to get a room being it was in the start of Spring Break. All we wanted was a nice place to sleep but we got a whole bunch more! The room was clean and larger than expected. It had a huge den and full sized kitchen. The beds were comfortable. We had a great time by the pool which was VERY nice. The people and staff were very nice and made every effort to make our stay perfect. We were lucky to find this place and we WILL stay here again. We are lucky to live close to the Keys so we are planning on making this a monthly trip.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed January 4, 2006

Just returned from a half-week visit to the Keys through New Year's Eve, where we stayed at this solid establishment. While we did not intend to go fishing, we had based our decision to stay here based upon the review entitled "What a Great Surprise." My wife and I have two sons, 15 and 13, so we wanted to be in an area where they could ride a bike to --or otherwise undertake-- various activities without us. It turned out that many of the resorts and restaurants in the area had been done in by hurricanes earlier in the year. Somehow, this one (oceanside) made it through unscathed. The pool and jacuzzi were excellent. Kayaks, bikes, and fishing equipment can be had at no cost merely by giving the desk clerk some nonmonetary form of security, like a driver's license or credit card. We stayed in the two-bedroom stand-alone cottage (Room 107). The indoor-outdoor carpeting and bedspreads were not particularly attractive, but they were very clean and relatively new. A white heron walked up to our door one morning, and we saw an anole on a tree along the side of the cottage. Kids were fishing from the "beach" most all of the time. I can't say that I saw anyone catch anything though. I was surprised to see how far most other viable commercial concerns were from the resort. The Outback Steakhouse (at the Hampton Inn) and Lazy Days Restaurant about a half mile south of La Siesta are about the closest commercial spots. Northbound my boys had to pedal even further.

In today's vernacular, it is difficult to understand how a place like this would be called a resort given the existence of luxury reorts like, say, Hawk's Cay near Marathon. I think of it more as a motel with a few creature comforts. We were there during peak season, and paid about $260 per night.

• Stayed December 2005