“What a GREAT Place!”

La Siesta Resort & Marina
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Islamorada
Reviewed April 6, 2010

La Siesta is the perfect place to stay in Islamorada. We had a large suite with a kitchenette and a large balcony with an amazing view of the ocean and pool. Just sitting on the balcony was paradise. We enjoyed the pool & jacuzzi. They have a small marina right there where we kept our boat. It was great to just jump in the boat and go. Our kitchen was stocked well with pans, dishes, silverware and spatulas, etc. The suite had been recently remodeled and was very very nice. I would stay at La Siesta again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed March 10, 2010

My son and his fiancee chose La Siesta for their wedding which was held on February 27, 2010. I drove down from S. Florida in July of 2009 to check out the property and the various accommodations since most of the guests attending the wedding were planning on staying there. I was quite taken by the location and overall atmosphere. It is truly a place to lay back and catch your breath. The 5-bedroom house is well worth the expense. It is beautifully decorated inside with a wonderful view of the water. The wedding took place on the small beach and the reception was held outside the house under a tent. I stayed in the 2 bedroom, 2 story condo. While it has not been updated yet, it was clean and the view from the balcony was breathtaking. Although it was a very cold, windy and rainy evening - the wedding and reception were wonderful and I think everyone had a great time. The staff were both helpful and polite and the few other quests that were staying there didn't seem to mind the noise from the reception. I would definately go back to La Siesta Resort and Marina.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We returned form Florida today. We spent 5 nights at La Siesta. When we drove in, I was excited because it looked homey and inviting. That soon changed as we walked into the office and heard the desk lady yelling at someone on the phone then slammed the receiver down. We were not given a warm welcome whatsoever. in fact, not one single staff person (which you rarely saw) ever welcomed us or asked us about our stay or shared information about the amenities of the resort. Our room was gross. It stunk to high heavens, the few pieces of silverware in the drawer were dirty, there were no dish towels, the can opener was broken, the rug was disgusting. The whole place was grimy and old. I didn't want to touch anything. The balcony was shared (no dividers between rooms) with old furntiure. I was told that we would have a garden view suite. The 'garden" was a stinky parking lot and driveway. There was NO WAY I would stay there. We complained to the front desk and was given a much, much better suite on the other side of the resort with an ocean view. We profusely thanked the lady at the desk for that. It was clean and better equipped. There were ants, but I suppose that can be hard to control. I feel so sorry for people who had to stay in the gross old rooms. We were dissappointed that there was no lounge or tiki bar. They advertise free bikes to ride, but only one was worthy to ride. the others were in dangerous shape with no brakes and seats falling off. Also, most the bikes were very small. Would i come back?- That is a big, big maybe. it did have a nice view and a laid-back atmosphere and very nice landscaping with lots of palms and tropicals. the pool was nice, but I thought there was suppose to be a slide in the pool- nope. I would recommend this to friends, with a warning to make sure to get one of the better rooms.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank wxmom
Reviewed January 28, 2010

You know how when you visit a friend who recently moved and they pick you up and take you to a shanty or trailer and say "here is my house!" and you just say... ohhh, thats nice.... then he laughs and you go to his real house? Well, when we pulled into the La Siesta "resort" we all laughed and thought we were a part of a joke and that the real resort was a hidden gem. Nope. No hidden gem.
The property is nicely situated on water, but the charm ends there. There is no beach save for the rocky sand placed on what was most liekly a parking lot. My feet still hurt from it. The rooms are unbelievable. One of our twin beds was about 1 inch from the door that didnt shut properly. The outside wall was paper thin and you could hear everything and everyone who walked by. The smell reminded me of a turnpike truckstop bathroom. Ah yes, the "bathroom" ...complete with two towels and a bar of soap. We showered in the morning, and when we got back in the afternoon, found our towels were missing. We called from the sticky in-room telephone and were told the towels had been taken and would be reurned later in the afternoon -- apparently, they have one batch of towels and wash them everyday - the towels arrived around 6pm.
The TV was old and had no remote. The carpet was disgusting, and we did not feel comfortable taking off our shoes. The furnitire was old and dirty, terribly so, and we were no comfortable sitting on the couch or eating at the table. It was awful. The beds had burlap-style sheets and worn and dirty comforters that offered no comfort. just remembering it makes me want to puke.
The pool, while newly refinished, was in the center of the cinder-parking lot with views of cars or sheds. No poolside service or drinks. There was a snack shack that offered a "continental breakfast" but one look was all i needed to know i didnt need it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank joebanks
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We stayed at the La Siesta Resort just after Christmas and left on New Years day. The location of the property is nice and well located. The pool is great with lots of Sunloungers and tables. It is a gradual entry pool which is great for small children.

The rooms are ok, but they do seem to have a bit of bizzare layout. We entered into our room through the bedroom then walk through to the living area kitchen. We were told we had Queen Beds, but they were not Queens, they were doubles.

The living area is big and we had a kitchen area. The problem with the kitchen area is there isn't anything to cook with - some sauce pans but no spatula, or spoons. No frying pan or anything. When we mentioned this to the staff they all said, yes it is difficult to keep things in the room. But noone offered to give us anything.I caution you some rooms are renovated and some are not. There are some rooms that are on the ground floor that you enter the rooms through the living area instead of the bedroom.

Some bad stuff - WiFi wasn't working the whole time we were there, they kept having the "Tech Guy" come in but I wasn't able to get connected the whole time. Also the first night we got into bed and there was Sand in the bed- YUK. The sheets hadn't been changed!!! We told them first thing in the morning, it was taken care of.

All in all it was ok, I would stay there again but I would ask for a different room. I just think they need to work on the staff - there was one guy who did everything breakfast in the morning to sorting out maintenence issues and generally kept things ticking over. He even had a ton of glowing swords etc for the kids on New Years eve. He really went above and beyond - the others were nice but just a bit ill informed.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This past weekend we held a family event at the La Siesta and were so very delighted with the entire event that I wanted to get this review off my to-do list before I got back to my routine and forgot about it.

One of the things we like most about the Florida Keys is that there are still some remnants of the old days -- small intimate places that make the huge chains seem cold and unfriendly.
La Siesta is "old Keys" at it's best!

After having breakfast up the road at Mangrove Mike's, you can go back to the LaSiesta and fall asleep in one of their many hammocks under the palms waiting for the sun to fall into the Bay at the Lorelei. The pool is tucked away, hidden by the kind of landscaping that looks so very natural, yet you can tell that it was carefully laid out.

This resort was perfect for us. The hotel rooms are every bit as nice as their cute beach houses. We actually used the 5 bedroom beach house because of the size of affair we had planned, but had it been just the two of us, any of the other room types would have been perfect.

Our family has had a home in Islamorada for 40 years, but we had never looked past the sign on the highway reading "La Siesta Resort". It was highly recommended to us by some of our local friends, so we went with their suggestion and it was a good one.

Our original plan was to hold the event on the beach, using one of the oceanfront cottages as a base of operations. Although the plans ultimately changed and we used the more-than-impressive 5 - bedroom oceanfront house, we were all "wowed" by the cottages. We had friends in regular hotel rooms as well which were cozy and had that same simple elegance.

As a hotelier myself (midwest upscale historic hotel) I am extremely sensitive to industry standards. The entire resort was like a tropical dream. Everything was spotless; the staff was friendly but respectful and the management gracious.

FYI - Anyone who's looking for a wedding venue or a place to do some corporate entertaining, this is the place! We held an art show / cocktail party on the lawn in front of the house and it was a huge success -- The place is really versatile~

On the other hand, if you're looking for a 500-room Hyatt with a sea of perfectly set beach chairs set side-by-side and end-to-end, huge lights that block out the stars and a noisy bar, this isn't for you.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is a lovely location, friendly staff and clean rooms BUT there is a wedding here right now and the band is SO loud we had to go to bed because we literally couldn't hear ourselves talk in the lounge, of our suite; but in the bedroom it is just as bad. We are freezing cold because we hoped the noise of the AC would drown them out but it is gone 11pm and they are still "rocking out" as the singer is telling us!!

There is no answer at reception, obviously is is 11.17pm, I have been down to the wedding to ask what time they are playing to and got no answer. I AM FURIOUS !!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family